Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this Amelia Earhart's plane?

Still Waters

Researchers may have come one step closer toward solving the mystery of Amelia Earhart’s disappearance after announcing the discovery of what could be remnants of the famed aviator’s plane.

The debris located off Nikumaroro island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati was spotted following a preliminary review of high-definition video taken last month at the uninhabited coral atoll believed to be Earhart's final resting place.

http://www.dailymail...ors-flight.html

• Like 1

my question is why did'nt they bring up a piece of the wreckage?they found sn old glass bottle of freckle cream she used on thebeach,why not bring up a part of the plane?

my question is why did'nt they bring up a piece of the wreckage? They found an old glass bottle of freckle cream she used on the beach, why not bring up a part of the plane?

Maybe you are being somewhat impatient, lol.

I will bet they will try that soon.

How deep is the location of the wreckage? It must be damn deep. that much I know.

Researchers may have come one step closer toward solving the mystery of Amelia Earhart’s disappearance after announcing the discovery of what could be remnants of the famed aviator’s plane.

The debris located off Nikumaroro island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati was spotted following a preliminary review of high-definition video taken last month at the uninhabited coral atoll believed to be Earhart's final resting place.

http://www.dailymail...ors-flight.html

Very interesting and you beat me in posting it lol

$2.2Million expedition?? Researchers are putting up more money now to find her than when she was potentially alive as a castaway. Just goes to show that we would rather figure out a good mystery than to save a life.

"Nikumaroro Island in the PRECISE area that it was believed her plane crashed" Obviously, researchers did know she potentially could be in this area.

Hasn't this been found a few times already? ;)

Hope they are on the money this time...

• Like 1

Hasn't this been found a few times already? ;)

Hope they are on the money this time...

it would be nice to bring her home. Might bring closure to any family or still around.

• Like 1

Bones were found back in the 1940s or 50s but have since been lost or destroyed, as they weren't suspected of being Earhart's back then.

article-0-1497EFD8000005DC-179_634x456.jpg

You know, I'd really like to think they'd found something concrete, but it looks to me like they're putting anything out there to keep their funding going. Which is OK if they have a good chance of finding her and Noonan.

I hope they do because I'd really like to know what happened.

They said on the show the pieces were 1000 feet down.I Think they are just reaching.there have been stories out there forever that the Japanese killed her and her co pilot and buried them on the howland islands,a soldier also reportedly found her briefcase shortly after ww2 there too,and there was also a story she was alive and well living in the usa until her death in 2002,so wtf knows?

1000 feet down is quite deep and would require a robot to retrieve the debris. I like the bit about alive and well in the USA. Maybe Elvis is also alive and well?

I've heard differents tales about what happened to her, I hope they finally get some proof so we can (hopefully) find out for good what happened

The problem with the Discovery Channel show is that they didn't offer any counter theories to the one that TIGHAR was putting forward. Heck, they didn't even question anything the TIGHAR team was saying. I don't know about you, but I thought I was watching the South Pacific version of Finding Bigfoot. For those of you who don't know, the TIGHAR theory is a "fringe" theory when it comes to Earhart and pretty much the only ones who buy it are TIGHAR and their funders.

Here are two pieces by Brian Dunning that offer a little different take on their theories and their "evidence".

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4295

Finding Amelia Earhart

Popular modern reports claim Amelia Earhart made it to an island and survived for a time. Might that be true?

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2012/03/20/more-amelia-earhart-nonsense/

As I went into great detail in my Skeptoid episode about the fate of Amelia Earhart, she and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared in 1937 off Howland Island in the south Pacific when they ran out of fuel in the immediate vicinity of their destination. However, in today’s news, it is being widely reported that an expedition is underway to pursue new evidence via expensive underwater searches, that Earhart ended up instead as a castaway on distant Nikumaroro Island (then called Gardner Island). Money is indeed being spent on this expedition, apparently by the Discovery Channel, but that is where the fact ends. This alternate explanation for Earhart’s fate is almost certainly completely false, and exists only for the purpose of sensationalism at the expense of public intellect.

I watched a documentary about Earhart and they went to an Island that they thought she may have swam too after the crash. The interviewed a really old woman who lived on the island and she said when she was very little in 1937 the island was buzzing because there were rumours there was a white lady on the island dressed in a uniform (pilots clothes). This woman said she saw this lady being taken around the island by these military men who had a base on the island and then they made her go on her knees, they blindfolded her and then shot her. The locals were told afterwards that the woman was a spy and she had to be killed. The old lady showed the documentary crew the exact spot where she was shot and said she was buried there. As they dug, they realised it had been recently dug up (probably a team found out about the documentary and got there first and dug her body up). They continued to dig and a good few feet down, they found the blindfold that the old lady said the pilot was wearing. They took the blindfold away and i haven't heard anything about it since. This old lady was pretty convincing and her story kinda added up. I've no idea if she was telling the truth but i had to sit back and think, maybe it did happen?

I watched a documentary about Earhart and they went to an Island that they thought she may have swam too after the crash. The interviewed a really old woman who lived on the island and she said when she was very little in 1937 the island was buzzing because there were rumours there was a white lady on the island dressed in a uniform (pilots clothes). This woman said she saw this lady being taken around the island by these military men who had a base on the island and then they made her go on her knees, they blindfolded her and then shot her. The locals were told afterwards that the woman was a spy and she had to be killed. The old lady showed the documentary crew the exact spot where she was shot and said she was buried there. As they dug, they realised it had been recently dug up (probably a team found out about the documentary and got there first and dug her body up). They continued to dig and a good few feet down, they found the blindfold that the old lady said the pilot was wearing. They took the blindfold away and i haven't heard anything about it since. This old lady was pretty convincing and her story kinda added up. I've no idea if she was telling the truth but i had to sit back and think, maybe it did happen?

The thing is, there are dozens if not hundreds of such stories and none of them really offer much evidence to support their claims.

Frankly, I've never bought into the "Japanese executed/imprisoned her" theory as I really don't see much reason for them to do that. It not like the flight was a big secret. It was a world-wide media event and it would have been somewhat of a PR coup for the Japanese to have rescued her. In fact, several Japanese ships participated in the searches around Howland Island after she disappeared.

1000 feet down is quite deep and would require a robot to retrieve the debris. I like the bit about alive and well in the USA. Maybe Elvis is also alive and well?

He's living in an all hippie community with jim morrison,jimmy hoffa,judge crater,and db cooper.