Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cats that pester for food could be suffering

Still Waters

Cat owners see it as a sign of hunger and affection — their pet miaowing and rubbing against their ankles as dinner time approaches.

But according to a group of vets, it is a sign of a creature whose obsession with food has driven it to the edge of insanity.

They claimed that cats that show too much eagerness to be fed could be suffering from the newly-diagnosed condition of “psychogenic abnormal feeding behaviour”.

And the attention-seeking behaviour is a symptom called “excessive solicitation of interspecific interactions”.

http://www.telegraph...-condition.html

"excessive solicitation of interspecific interactions"? Really? This is the third time today I have heard intellectuals over describe a simple behaviour. In normal english this actually just reads "too much pestering for food at different times of the day" or hooked on food begging yadi yada.

Basically, I think it's boredom and repeating behaviour that they know will provide a predictable outcome aka: an attempt at communication and enjoying getting a response that they understand out of the communication quite frankly.

For my own cats, no matter how much food I put out they only ever nibble and are not emotionally dependent on it but they still suck up to me when I am in the kitchen for a treat, I think they like to be reminded that I care enough to share tbh.

• Like 2

I see ! I was starting to think the cat had some worms that defy treatment. But I guess the fact it keeps getting fatter should have been a clue. But my cat probably is insane, it won't eat anything except dried food, and then only a very limited selection, turning her nose up at such delicacies as fresh crab or prawn, even.

Do these cats need therapy ,or over eaters anon ?

Because I have many cats with this issue .

Duh duh duh .