Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Da Vinci in The Last Supper ?

Saru

Did Renaissance genius Leonardo Da Vinci paint his likeness in to one of his most famous paintings ?

In humorous verse, Visconti mocks an unnamed artist for putting his self-portrait into his paintings – "however handsome it may be" – and with his own "actions and ways", namely gestures and expressions.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I misread title and thought i was gonna be reading a scoop about Leo being "at" the Last Supper. lol Ah, well.

While am here...

Why not? I would have made myself Thomas and given Judas the face of Tony Curtis.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 6

The man was an extremely talented artist. He had the right to paint himself in anywhere, even as a 'happy tree' in my opinion.

• Like 3

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to say anything definite about this painting, because nobody knows what it's really supposed to look like. Leonardo used an experimental type of paint he'd invented which began to self-destruct almost as soon as it was finished. The painting has been restored 19 times, mostly very carelessly. At one point it was in such a state that they knocked a door through it, thus destroying the legs of Jesus (and making it less obvious that he's 8 feet tall). Judas in particular has suffered multiple indignities. At an early stage he was repainted to look more Jewish (a bit politically incorrect, seeing as all 13 people present are supposed to be Jews, but in keeping with the times), and since the controversial recent restoration which removed all brushwork definitely not by Leonardo, the poor chap has no face at all. So he may actually have looked like Tony Curtis - it's as good a guess as any. As is the assumption that Leonardo himself may once have been in there somewhere. Though looking at his self-portraits elsewhere, presumably if he is he'd be Saint Peter?

• Like 3

Leonardo Was A Peculiar Character .. It Is Only Reasonable He Would Insert Peculiarities In His Works As Well :)

• Like 3

Some people think of this painting as real, like a photo of the actual thing. Possibly in reverence to Jesus.... Even though it doesn't make sense.

its DaVincis vision, his hand painted it and he can put whoever he wants in it.

Seriously would it matter if he was?

This is not big news,the world still turns....

• Like 1

I misread title and thought i was gonna be reading a scoop about Leo being "at" the Last Supper. lol Ah, well.

While am here...

Why not? I would have made myself Thomas and given Judas the face of Tony Curtis.

He was not there for the supper, but he was there when it was painted.

• Like 2

Is this a trick question and the answer lies in the Da Vinci code pt3. :unsure2:

• Like 3

:rofl: If he put himself in there,shouldn't the other three ninja turtles been there too ?
  • Like 3

They look a right bunch of oiks in that picture! It'd be touch and go whether our Doris would've even served them in the Red Lion!

I can hear her now......."B****y hippies! Damned good wash an' a 'aircut is what they need! Coming in 'ere, droppin' breadcrumbs everywhere! An' that 'Holier-than-thou' one in the middle - he'll come to a sticky end, you mark my words!"

• Like 1

So that's where Alfred Hitchcock and Stephen King got the idea...