Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Navy is 'running out' of sailors

Still Waters

Britain's nuclear defence is under threat because the Navy will not have enough people to properly man its submarines, it was warned today.

Trident subs and UK boats holding nuclear weapons may have to stay in port as a result of staff shortages, internal Submarines Service documents reveal.

The Ministry of Defence's official risk register says engineer numbers will also be down by 15 per cent within three years, causing even more problems for the British fleet.

http://www.dailymail...-MoD-warns.html

maybe if good old songs like:

bell bottom trousers

shirt is navy blue

make him climb the rigging

like his papa used to do

are back in style there will be more voluntaries :devil:

• Like 1

Maybe the pay isn't high enough.

• Like 2

Maybe they can start more aggressive recruiting in the newer sections of thier populace ie. muslim community, to make them feel more at home.

I'm not surprised,who wants to live in a steel tube for weeks on end,but the Navy has been scuppered by the last 2 Gov'ts.

• Like 1

Maybe they can start more aggressive recruiting in the newer sections of thier populace ie. muslim community, to make them feel more at home.

Ha ha nice one son, why dont you employ Muslim Policemen, they are quite good at shooting people so I hear.

I know there's an impotency joke in there somewhere

• Like 1

i dont think many of our young men or women have any interest in joining the british armed forves at the moment .the kids i speak to and i speak to a lot (i do talks on the criminal justice system in schools) really cant see it as a worthwhile occupation because as on lad put it "they are even sacking soldiers arnt they mate".

the one thing the military always had was job security that has vanished now in the uk .our once proud military is being reduced to a home defence force.i really dont have a strong opinion on this just stating what i know from experience.

• Like 3

a mate of mine joined the navy four months ago, applied to go on the Subs, loves it. regardless of what the article says there wont be a shortage. how can there be, 17 million people of school leaving age. we need less than a thousand.

Give a chance of Radicial Islamist getting on a nuclear attack sub? You must be out of your mind... there is just to much a margin of human error.

Give a chance of Radicial Islamist getting on a nuclear attack sub? You must be out of your mind... there is just to much a margin of human error.

If a Jihadist can pose as a loyal Afgan solider, make it onto base and shoot a lot of our boys

then I'm quite sure they cab make it onboard one of our subs and press the big red shiney button!!!!

In any case, I doubt it gets better unless some real health studies from former crews are released. The fear of radioactive contamination is just to great for many people.

They already have Kalashnikovs and you wanna give them nuke???? :td: :td: :td:

• Like 1

So judging from some of the replies people think all British muslims are terrorists then? Sad.

Anyway just send out a press gang or two and they'll sort things out.

• Like 3

So judging from some of the replies people think all British muslims are terrorists then? Sad.

Just writing from experience

Probably because being in the military is actual work, and sitting in mom's house drawing benefits and smoking pot seems more attractive.

• Like 1

So every British Muslim you've met has been a terrorist?

Before moving to France 4 years ago I was kind of like you... now after all those years of seing ... i noticed how much I was wrong.

Not all Muslims are terrorists,but how are you going to tell the difference,as has been proved in Afghanistan who have Police in uniform who suddenly go ballistic and start shooting our Soldiers(including yours),(even the wives and kids can't be trusted as they act as carriers of amo etc)so would you trust a Muslim on a Nuke Sub, it would be like putting a tube of nitro-glycerine in a box of fireworks,hoping it wont become unstable and BANG..

There is loads of reaosns less people are signing up.

• More people realising these wars are wrong and don't want to be a part of it.
  • Morals, means they don't want to kill innocent people.
  • The fact they are lied to about it being easy to find work when they leave.

That's 3 I know of, to expand on the 3rd one. 3 of my mates who left are now unemployed and can't get work. One of them was int he REME. Engineering companies won't take ihm on because he isn't properly qaulified as an engineer. lol Which is the reaosn he joined the REME. lol

They lie and tell you that trianing in the REME will give you work when you leave. Which is rubbish.

My Step dad was a manager for an engineering company and took on a guy who left the REME and the company had to send him to colelge on day release for 2 years to get him to the standard of people half his age. He also got payed less becuase of this. My brother was earning almost double this guy was and was 15 years younger than him.

The only job roles I can think of in the forces you will seriously get work for when you leave are IT and Pilots. (maybe ship roles as well, but don't know much about that)

It also puts employers off when they know that soldiers can have mental problems after what they have been through. (not saying it's their fault and it's a shame)

Probably because being in the military is actual work, and sitting in mom's house drawing benefits and smoking pot seems more attractive.

Yeah cause everyone wants to be on benefits...

I know there are a few who do like to not work. But most want to work, i eman youg et feck all money form benefits. You cna't afford to live properly on that.

There is a huge lack of jobs in the UK now.

I don't want to seem insensitive, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on a ship with guys for a long period of time.

Most of them support Islamists. So it's a very sad situation.

1. There is loads of reaosns less people are signing up

• More people realising these wars are wrong and don't want to be a part of it.
  • Morals, means they don't want to kill innocent people.
  • The fact they are lied to about it being easy to find work when they leave.

2. They lie and tell you that training in the REME will give you work when you leave. Which is rubbish.

3. The only job roles I can think of in the forces you will seriously get work for when you leave are IT and Pilots. (maybe ship roles as well, but don't know much about that)

4. It also puts employers off when they know that soldiers can have mental problems after what they have been through.

1. People that enlist have a different mentality than you. They are the type who are deeply patriotic and want to fight for their country. They aspire to a higher meaning in life so there's no moral conflict for them. I think you'll find the lower recruitment figures are related to the way in which soliders are being treated - employed one minute and dumped into civvy street the next.

2. In REME a solider gets taught what is needed to patch up armoured vehicles, to defuse IEDs and how to assemble bridges. If the guy thinks he's going to learn CAM, CAD, materials science, electronics and physics while in the army then he's living in a fantasy world. Its the idiots own fault for not knowing what an engineer actually is (civvy) and not comparing it to the skills he would pick up in REME.

3. The RAF has decent careers but thats where the universty graduates who want to fight for their country go. For instance an engineering degree would get you in as an engineering officer. The Navy is the same for engineers but again you'd need the degree.

4. I think thats being negative. A very small amount of soliders have problems which would stop them fiting back into civvy street and holding down a job. When that applies they are also under mental healthcare until they have been treated.

I know a guy who saw a RPG round hit his mate in the face then tried to hang himself at his barracks. The round caved his face in but didnt explode and he went a bit loopy in the head. He was sectioned while they treated him and then released. He is now fine. He works, there are no issues, he is like everyone else.

More people realising these wars are wrong and don't want to be a part of it.

Morals, means they don't want to kill innocent people.

The fact they are lied to about it being easy to find work when they leave.

I've never read so much garbage in my life.

I don't want to seem insensitive, but I wouldn't want to be stuck on a ship with guys for a long period of time.

What do you want to be on a ship with? Aliens?