Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Racing pigeon losses baffle fanciers

Still Waters

Hundreds of racing pigeons from clubs throughout Scotland vanished at the weekend in mysterious circumstances.

Some fanciers are even considering stopping flying the birds until they establish why so many failed to return.

Weather patterns and birds of prey scaring the pigeons off track have been blamed in the past, but experts have been baffled by the latest incident.

The Scottish Borders was worst hit with only 13 of 232 birds sent from Galashiels to Thirsk making it back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-19343027

• Like 1

Poor things...most probably weather thats claimed the most if they were off to Thirsk..got to navigate North Yorkshire Moors which is bad for weather..

Maybe they decided to find a mate and nest.

• Like 1

Some racing pigeons do 'go native' and simply join with populations of pigeons in cities etc.

Urban pigeons are classed as 'feral' and are all descended from domestic pigeons who've decided to forgo the life of a sportsman for a more sedentary existence.

But that would never account for so many so quickly.

I fear that the poor little pigies had something more dramatic happen to them.

Pigeons gone native....new video? I can't beleive no one said they just "flew the coop"

That reminds me, there's game pie for supper tonight. Yum!

Poor wee pigeons!

• Like 1

I wonder if they are being poisoned by accident or on purpose.

Could be one of those evolutionary leaps where they just all realised via "global pigeon consciousness" that they don't have to go back to those nasty bipeds that keep them locked in cages.

Maybe if such selfish people would stop 'racing' pigeons this wouldnt happen! As usual its all about making money out of an animal, no-one gives a crap about what harm is actually coming to them, more concerned about being out of pocket! Id love to strap a number around their leg and start racing them losers see how far they get...selfish pigs!