Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO's Shooting Up In The Sky

topsecretresearch

Now, adding a Peltier cooling unit would take the temp down about as low as you'd want with no trouble at all. The only fan you'd need then would be to cool the hot side of the junction. Hmmm ... I have an idle webcam or two here. Maybe I'll do a bit of hatchet work. Also modify one for IR for grins 'n giggles. Too bad it'd be all green but for cheap, what can one expect?

Do you have any lenses around the 55 - 210mm range? If so, (and I see someone else do this with surprising good results)...if your webcam has a removable lens 9if not the cheap and cheerful SPC does) ...remove it, get a nose piece adaptor (1.25 size) for a few quid, and connect that to the webcam, get the 42mm adaptor we spoke about, and an extension tube (preferably one those ones with the extendable inner section, held by two grub screws) connect it all together, use some free software like WXastrocapture, and use the inner extension tube to see if you can obtain focus.....if you can, try it on something, see what you get..

Well, of course. Before I got my 20D, I went through everything I could find on both Nikon and Canon DSLRs including lenses, accessories, limitations ... the works. The 20D turned out to be the best bang for the buck (This was in 2004.) and I've never once regretting the decision. It has an 8 megapixel sensor which is kind of amusing since the low end Rebel now is up to 12 megapixel.

If you ever get the chance of a cheap 1000, grab it, cause when you get a scope (if you get one)....you can do a mod to that camera and achieve results a professional would be proud of! ;)

Oh, I know the answer to that one! At the moment, none. Finances haven't allowed anything of that order, in part since I'm helping my daughter with medical expenses. She's terminally ill and her state & federal support don't cover anything near enough. The plan is to get a relatively long lens for the Canon when I can along with a far more stable tripod (or an inexpensive but serviceable equatorial mount) then shoot some of my old "one minute" shots - long enough to get a decent image without visible trails. I used to do that with ASA1600 slide film then push it to 3200. The Canon will do ASA3200 on its own and, besides, I'm not sure I know how to push a digital image. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter :( ..that must be extremely difficult to deal with. I've lost 2 members of my immediate family in the last 2months, and another has been given not long at all after his final cancer treatment failed. It's the night sky's that keep me on the level with it all, that's where I get my peace and tranquility. :)

Sticking with lenses for the while, it will be a balancing act between $$$Yankee and an optimized lens decision. I'd love to get something around 200-250mm (No zoom since I can't see needing it) with decent glass but that's kind of out of my reach for now. From what I can see, I'll probably wind up with something in the 90-105mm range which will have to be good enough.

Ah, I only noticed this part as I was replying, otherwise I wouldn't have asked about anything up to 210mm lol...but if/when you do get one, try what I said above!

Had two of them. Now I'm just looking for a slave. Lower maintenance and can be sold if a better model comes along. ;)

Ones enough, if I ever get parole i'll stay on my own next time lol

If you know any ham radio operators, they should be able to help you or point you to someone who can. I think I'd do what you suggested for Psyche, start with an atmospheric receiver since it's easy to make and a blast to play with. With that, something to listen to Jupiter would be fun and there are several articles on the web for that. (Same with atmospheric detection equipment.) Both are pretty basic and NASA has Project JOVE which is a good basis for a Jupiter unit. If I remember right, it can also be used for solar radiometry which is a twofer which helps the budget. Also, there are a few units much like that used for atmospherics that can be used for detecting solar storms which can be another twofer if done right.

I found a club recently actually, not far from me, been told to pop along when I want...so that'll be on the 'to do' list when things calm down and I get more time. I've looked a quite a few of the basic projects, i'm following one over a stargazers lounge and just arriving arrival of some parts....also built a Jupiter rig, using the 5'x5' box frame, circular placement of rods evenly around the outside and wire connecting the lot together...haven't tested that particular one yet though..

I keep getting side tracked looking at the satcube projects...i'd love a go at that..

So much fun, so few mangoes. Er, wait. I think the season is started. :o

Orions belt rises slowly in the East from my back yard in the evening now...Autumns a coming, my favourite time of the year, crystal clear skies :)

• Like 1

Well, not what I had in mind but that sounds like a cool idea. I live directly under the approach path to Honolulu International Airport (HNL) which also serves Hickam Air Force Base. I also live at another air field, what used to be the Barbers Point Naval Air Station but has reverted to civilian operation with military tower personnel since the military uses the field for practice and other things. The plan is to set up one or two cameras so I can track and video airplanes on the HNL glide slope or move them outside so I can shoot video of what little of the takeoff of the assorted military aircraft as I can get. (There are buildings and assorted other miscellanea in the way.) OTOH, removing the IR blocking filter from a camera for night shots could also be fun since the prominent features would be the engine exhausts.

Not every airplane will get shot but we sometimes get "visitors" like a U-2, Antonov An-124, one I haven't seen yet (It usually comes in at night.) but is a serious heavy that I can't identify from the engine sound and others. I'm also hoping to catch our F-15s and F-22s which thus far have been too fast for me to grab my camera and get a decent shot.

OTOH, a little widefield never hurt anyone. :tu:

This is what I had in mind for wide field, a barn door tracker, and some half decent lenses.....go for some of closest deep sky objects, or some mosaics of the milky way etc....loads of options really..and a barn door tracker is very easy to do, and very cheap!

http://www.astropix.com/BGDA/SAMPLE2/SAMPLE2.HTM

Do you have any lenses around the 55 - 210mm range? If so, (and I see someone else do this with surprising good results)...if your webcam has a removable lens 9if not the cheap and cheerful SPC does) ...remove it, get a nose piece adaptor (1.25 size) for a few quid, and connect that to the webcam, get the 42mm adaptor we spoke about, and an extension tube (preferably one those ones with the extendable inner section, held by two grub screws) connect it all together, use some free software like WXastrocapture, and use the inner extension tube to see if you can obtain focus.....if you can, try it on something, see what you get..

Sounds like a fairly easy and straight forward project, the kind I like. Once I have a set of Waldos working (My hands shake too much to do much of anything now due to progressive neurological damage so I'm making remote hands to take over what I can't do anymore.) I should be able to manufacture some of the components which is what I would have done before the shakies made machining a problem. There are a several companies that have a wide range of taps & dies outside the usual and at least one I believe carries a set for the M42x1 thread which, memory serving, is right for those lenses. If not, one or two of the companies will custom make taps & dies for not a lot of money.

And aren't you glad this dumb Yank knows what a quid is. ;)

If you ever get the chance of a cheap 1000, grab it, cause when you get a scope (if you get one)....you can do a mod to that camera and achieve results a professional would be proud of! ;)

Hmmm ... what would that mod be since a number of Canon's DSLR cameras use the same imaging bits with the major difference being the CCD. Most of the differences within any generation is body shape and features while between generations are upgrades to the electronics. As a result, it would be possible that the 1000D mod would work on other cameras.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter :( ..that must be extremely difficult to deal with.

I adopted her as a single parent after she was put into foster care where she was placed after being removed from home at age 5 after being abused and molested. It took two years of the most intense background check I've ever been through (including that for my Navy clearances) before I could bring her home. We have always been close - far more than father daughter since it includes best friends, confidantes fellow ferrets etc - and even now when we're 3500 miles apart we're never any further apart than our hearts. Now she has MS, Fibromyalgia and a host of other disorders brought on by an autoimmune system gone berserk and attacking healthy nerve tissue. She's 34 now and if she lives to see 40, it will be a miracle. But she's tough and she's a fighter so who knows.

I've lost 2 members of my immediate family in the last 2months, and another has been given not long at all after his final cancer treatment failed.

My deepest sympathies. My family is gone - parents and two brothers - so the only one I have now is Noelle.

It's the night sky's that keep me on the level with it all, that's where I get my peace and tranquility. :)

What? No Jameson's? :P Seriously, my assorted construction projects keep me going - or did until I couldn't handle them anymore - as do various forums like here where I can talk with people as crazy as I am. :yes:

Ones enough, if I ever get parole i'll stay on my own next time lol

Well, yeah. That's why having a slave is so much better. All of the advantages and none of the disadvantages of a wife. :tsu:

I found a club recently actually, not far from me, been told to pop along when I want...so that'll be on the 'to do' list when things calm down and I get more time. I've looked a quite a few of the basic projects, i'm following one over a stargazers lounge and just arriving arrival of some parts....also built a Jupiter rig, using the 5'x5' box frame, circular placement of rods evenly around the outside and wire connecting the lot together...haven't tested that particular one yet though..

Just remember, "Radio Astronomers do it on Cloudy Nights." Seriously, this expands your observing time greatly since neither overcast nor rain really have a major effect on your ability to use the equipment. Lightning & thunder do but that's a separate issue. BTW, that atmospheric receiver can also be used as a thunderstorm detector since the lightning crashes will be detected long before you hear the thunder.

I keep getting side tracked looking at the satcube projects...i'd love a go at that..

Hmmm ... not familiar with this. Could you expand on it some please?

Orions belt rises slowly in the East from my back yard in the evening now...Autumns a coming, my favourite time of the year, crystal clear skies :)

I like Cygnus but that's just a personal preference. It's just plain pretty and has the added bonus of Cygnus X-1. :)

• Like 1

This is what I had in mind for wide field, a barn door tracker, and some half decent lenses.....go for some of closest deep sky objects, or some mosaics of the milky way etc....loads of options really..and a barn door tracker is very easy to do, and very cheap!

http://www.astropix....LE2/SAMPLE2.HTM

Oooh, easy peasy. The tripods I've been looking at are the ones used for surveyor's transits. They're heavy, stable and have a built-in leveling bubble. Some even have a compass although that's something that can be added if need be or a GPS can be used. Actually, that might be better since it would also allow setting the base platform for the latitude where one is at the moment. The barn door tracker can be attached to that kind of as shown with three axis gyros attached to the optics and connected to a microcontroller then a readout or computer screen for initial setup. Since I'm a also machinery kinda guy, I'd probably use steppers to initially position the camera and a synchronous motor that is isolated for vibration to drive the lead screw. (The lead screw and drive would be mounted so they are free to rotate parallel to the hinge so the screw doesn't drift around which also would be seated in a well lubricated steel cup.)

And, yes, I can complicate even the easiest designs but it's all in the interest of precision and I'm big on precision. Having a watchmaker's lathe as my "big gun" when I could still do machining I think is evidence of that. Heck, to lay the baseline for the 1401 MC radio telescope, I bought a used (but not terribly abused) surveyor's transit since it wound up less expensive than leasing one for a week.

Ain't this fun? :tu: :tu:

Oooh, easy peasy. The tripods I've been looking at are the ones used for surveyor's transits. They're heavy, stable and have a built-in leveling bubble. Some even have a compass although that's something that can be added if need be or a GPS can be used. Actually, that might be better since it would also allow setting the base platform for the latitude where one is at the moment. The barn door tracker can be attached to that kind of as shown with three axis gyros attached to the optics and connected to a microcontroller then a readout or computer screen for initial setup. Since I'm a also machinery kinda guy, I'd probably use steppers to initially position the camera and a synchronous motor that is isolated for vibration to drive the lead screw. (The lead screw and drive would be mounted so they are free to rotate parallel to the hinge so the screw doesn't drift around which also would be seated in a well lubricated steel cup.)

And, yes, I can complicate even the easiest designs but it's all in the interest of precision and I'm big on precision. Having a watchmaker's lathe as my "big gun" when I could still do machining I think is evidence of that. Heck, to lay the baseline for the 1401 MC radio telescope, I bought a used (but not terribly abused) surveyor's transit since it wound up less expensive than leasing one for a week.

Good on you Kludge ! post some pics ! We all like people with the can Do Attitude !

• Like 1

Good on you Kludge ! post some pics ! We all like people with the can Do Attitude !

Can Do ... That's a Navy (originally just the Seabees) saying and attitude. Another is "The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer." Consider the "fun" of building an airbase for the Marines during WW II on an island the Japanese really are not in a mood to give up. That's the kind of stuff Seabees did routinely. The entire Navy has the attitude, they just didn't have a saying to go with it. :)

As you may have read, my hands shake way too much to do anything right now but I'm designing a set of remote control tools (misnamed Waldos but people know what Waldos are and they're a reasonably close cousin) to do what I can't do anymore. I've already had to give up working on watches. Backing up any further is simply unacceptable. :angry:

Can Do ... That's a Navy (originally just the Seabees) saying and attitude. Another is "The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer." Consider the "fun" of building an airbase for the Marines during WW II on an island the Japanese really are not in a mood to give up. That's the kind of stuff Seabees did routinely. The entire Navy has the attitude, they just didn't have a saying to go with it. :)

As you may have read, my hands shake way too much to do anything right now but I'm designing a set of remote control tools (misnamed Waldos but people know what Waldos are and they're a reasonably close cousin) to do what I can't do anymore. I've already had to give up working on watches. Backing up any further is simply unacceptable. :angry:

Keep the fight young man ! Were all as young and able as we make ourselfs !

Keep the fight young man ! Were all as young and able as we make ourselfs !

Well, you know the saying, "Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional." Since I didn't have an opportunity to have a first childhood at the appropriate time, I'm doing so now and having a ball. I take "Oh, grow up!" as a compliment because it means I'm succeeding. :su :su :tsu: :tsu:

• Like 2

We both shall Rock the next Millennium ! :tu: My attitude exactly !

My daughter is 34 and if she lives to see 40 it will be a miracle. I promised her I'd never leave her even when she was very young and I'll be darned if I'll do so now. Part of this is to continue to be "silly", as she called it years ago, which is essentially letting go as a kid which helped her get past nightmares as a child and now get past the pain and depression. But the fun part is that I can sit and watch ants for hours on end just like a child and enjoy the wonder of the world just like a child but, even better, I love watching it all through the eyes of a child. I believe we can all learn that from children, how to recapture the wonder of the universe.

• Like 1

Sounds like a fairly easy and straight forward project, the kind I like. Once I have a set of Waldos working (My hands shake too much to do much of anything now due to progressive neurological damage so I'm making remote hands to take over what I can't do anymore.) I should be able to manufacture some of the components which is what I would have done before the shakies made machining a problem. There are a several companies that have a wide range of taps & dies outside the usual and at least one I believe carries a set for the M42x1 thread which, memory serving, is right for those lenses. If not, one or two of the companies will custom make taps & dies for not a lot of money.

And aren't you glad this dumb Yank knows what a quid is. ;)

Yeah it's certainly easy enough...I did a similiar thing but used a 650 - 1300mm telephoto, but made a sun filter for the front and used it for solar...I was just messing around really with different configurations to see which worked best. Turns out that the D40 and telephoto lens was a better combination. until I got a proper solar scope anyway.

I've got literally box loads of adaptors, connectors and other odds and sods...so if you do have any trouble getting anything made, or your remote hands take longer then expected to get working then just give me a shout of what you need, it wouldn't take more then a couple of "quid" :P to get it sent to you!

Remote hands - what a fascinating idea..you'll have to expand on that some day, i'd love to hear more how you go about doing that! :)

Hmmm ... what would that mod be since a number of Canon's DSLR cameras use the same imaging bits with the major difference being the CCD. Most of the differences within any generation is body shape and features while between generations are upgrades to the electronics. As a result, it would be possible that the 1000D mod would work on other cameras.

There is no difference is what Cannon you use as far as i'm aware, I only mentioned the 1000d because most people tend to modify that one (maybe that's just down to price - because once it's modified it's not much use for anything other then astrophotography). The reason for modifying is due to the standard filter they come with, it cuts much of the red light out at certain frequencies, which makes it not much good for the Hydrogen Alpha Band. Some people do the Mod themselves (replace the filter with a more suitable one)...or a company called 'astronomiser' do it too (i'm sure there's other companies too).

I adopted her as a single parent after she was put into foster care where she was placed after being removed from home at age 5 after being abused and molested. It took two years of the most intense background check I've ever been through (including that for my Navy clearances) before I could bring her home. We have always been close - far more than father daughter since it includes best friends, confidantes fellow ferrets etc - and even now when we're 3500 miles apart we're never any further apart than our hearts. Now she has MS, Fibromyalgia and a host of other disorders brought on by an autoimmune system gone berserk and attacking healthy nerve tissue. She's 34 now and if she lives to see 40, it will be a miracle. But she's tough and she's a fighter so who knows.

Sounds like she was lucky you found her (although i'm sure you'd say it's the other way around) :) My wife has Fibromyalgia....had the pain most of her adult life, but only diagnosed a few year ago. Not many people would understand the pain, but I hear her a 3am, in the bathroom crying with the pain....hard to imagine how your whole being can be riddled with pain, yet no specific area to attribute it too.

I'm sure your girl will surprise you - she has to be a fighter, merely to get through a day (I see that myself with my other half)...good luck to her, and you too :)

My deepest sympathies. My family is gone - parents and two brothers - so the only one I have now is Noelle.

Cheers, I have a pretty philosophical approach to it all tbh, so it doesn't effect me like it does others.

What? No Jameson's? :P Seriously, my assorted construction projects keep me going - or did until I couldn't handle them anymore - as do various forums like here where I can talk with people as crazy as I am. :yes:

Oh there's always some Jameson...I thought it was standard though so I didn't bother mentioning it :D

Just remember, "Radio Astronomers do it on Cloudy Nights." Seriously, this expands your observing time greatly since neither overcast nor rain really have a major effect on your ability to use the equipment. Lightning & thunder do but that's a separate issue. BTW, that atmospheric receiver can also be used as a thunderstorm detector since the lightning crashes will be detected long before you hear the thunder.

Yep, it's on the reasons I stated it, to have a similiar hobby for those endless cloudy days we get in the UK. I've got a small studio, because i'm big on my electronic music...I use different rigs to project an image on a large LCD screen, then mix live tunes over the top. The radio scope is part of the overall set-up i'm doing....another aspect so I can use live sounds from the atmosphere and space etc..

Hmmm ... not familiar with this. Could you expand on it some please?

I meant to say CubeSat, not SatCube. The CubeSat project, is basically building your own satellite, no more then 10cm x 10cm, and then hitching a ride on an existing rocket for hopefully no more then a few thousand pounds. Some use it for projects, with sensors, or some kind of data collection (depending on what floats your boat)..I like the idea of a small camera though..

This will tell you more:

http://www.cubesat.o...ex.php/about-us

I like Cygnus but that's just a personal preference. It's just plain pretty and has the added bonus of Cygnus X-1. :)

Good choice! I'm pretty much in awe of it all tbh.

Edited by The Sky Scanner
  • Like 1

I would never have thought of doing that with a surveyors tripod, what a great idea...you've given me an idea actually for a cannon i've got sitting around doing nothing. Hmm....i'm going to have to look around now and see how much these surveyor tripods are....I might be back to ask you some questions on this in a while, if I can find a tripod cheap enough :tu:

• Like 1

There's never enough time is there, at least you have decent amounts of clear skies though, a lot more then I get up here anyway :D ...as for some decent kit, you could do a lot with that Dob anyway, stick it on an NEQ6, they are brilliant for visual as you know anyway...and cameras to get started with are cheap enough, you don't need some 3k CCD, you'll spend long enough trying to get the hang of it anyway, trust me ;) ...get an imaging source camera, or preferably something that can double up as guide cam when you move onto that, you'll pick one up cheap enough, and just start with lunar and planetary work.......with second hand gear you could have the dob taking some decent images for probably under 1k if you shop about.....(once you start though the wallet will take a hit, cause the list of "I gotta have that" just grows and grows lol)

As for radio...you can make an antenna for meteor hits for pence, spectrum lab is free and easy to use...or an old satellite dish is a good start too for solar work......and you'll pick a hand held scanner up that'll get you started cheap enough on ebay (it's not particularly time consuming either once you get your head around it - and given your electrical knowledge it'll be childs play for you no doubt).

Basically, don't wait till retirement, start now :)

Thanks for the tips Sky Scanner, Awesome! I will keep an eye out for a defunct dish, we see them every now and then and I'll be checking EBay. I might check the Ice In Space classified for an imaging camera, they have some great second hand bargains over there. I am sure my wife will be keeping my wallet nice and clean, I will have to make up a Christmas list I think ;)

Thanks a million mate! Great advice!

Cheers.

Psyche, old buddy, I forgot you're an electrical type. Microcontroller development boards are cheap and powerful. Low end cameras to attach to them are cheap but good enough to get a handle on the how tos and wherefores before bumping up to a better piece. (This is the path I'm taking although I'm going *real* low end - 640x480 with CS mount optics - for starters but my applications are very different.)

Mate, I'd be more than interested to hear what you discover along the way, an pitfalls or epiphanies. You guys have me quite motivated, and a week off coming up :D I have been meaning to get into astrophotography for years now, but something has always got in the way. Time I stopped with the excuses I think!

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies. Great advice both.

I'm not but Psyche is. I'm in the mid-Pacific - island of Oahu, state of chaos ... er, Hawaii. Mauna Kea is a few islands over and I hope to visit someday. I'll have to take oxygen with me (Cardiopulmonary system ain't what it use to be.) but that's a minor detail.

Well, that would be for Psyche. (Psyche, where you stay, brah?)

Hey Kludge

I am in South East Queensland on the Gold Coast. If you do spot something around here and want to know more, let me know and if I can I will go have a close look, and take some pictures for you and send them across. I can organise freight at this end if need be, if it works out a reasonable cost to run with an import, let me know if I can help mate.

Cheers.

Once in a while, amateur and professional astronomers do catch sight of what they believe are UFOs, but in this business you have to be looking in the right place at the right time--or looking everywhere all the time, like the military does.

First off, the second video comes up as Private and is inaccessible. It's status may have changed since you saved the bookmark.

Getting back, though, The first here and the one on the following post are interesting, the first here more so but only due to visibility and length. I'm going to assume he checked all the mundane things like an insect on the optics (Don't ask me how I know about that one. Just. Don't. Ask. :cry: ) which doesn't eliminate everything but does kill off quite a few possibilities. The second, faint as it is, follows a straight line while the first changes course. Very definitely interesting.

Hey Kludge

Hey, Psyche!

I am in South East Queensland on the Gold Coast. If you do spot something around here and want to know more, let me know and if I can I will go have a close look, and take some pictures for you and send them across. I can organise freight at this end if need be, if it works out a reasonable cost to run with an import, let me know if I can help mate.

Ahhh, me. There is something that has absolutely nothing to do with astronomy - well not directly - but would be of great help. I would like to acquire a Clisby lathe and mill which were made right there in Oz. Harold Clisby, the designer of the Sherline lathe, created what were the world's smallest operational lathe and mill. After he died, his daughter took over the company and received some really bad advice which changed the design*, adversely affected quality control and eventually caused the company to close its doors. I've had an opportunity to use one of their lathes and, while it can't hold the tolerances my equipment can, was not only fun but also quite useful for small items that don't need to be made to .0005" or, in the case of the watchmaker's lathe, .000025" tolerances. (Did I mention liking precision? :yes: )

* One change was from plain bushings to ball bearings on the spindle that are not preloaded. This reduces precision rather significantly. I believe that if Mr. Clisby felt it should have had ball bearings he would have used them but he went with plain bushings instead which I believe was the proper choice in a machine like this.

One of the cool parts is that they operate from 12vdc which means that I can use an auto battery (or motorcycle battery if I don't plan to use them long) if necessary to power them. The power for my workbench will be coming from an assortment of computer power supplies so I'll have plenty of 12v power handy for all sorts of stuff.

Anyway, I'd eventually like to find one of each for myself with a few extra pieces parts to help 1.) make them into stepper driven machines, and 2.) add a vertical slide kit to the lathe's cross slide to make it into a horizontal mill as needed. They fit my workbench a lot better than even the Unimat and I think I can make most of what I need using them and what my father called "low peasant cunning." Since it has a 2.5" swing over the bed, there should be enough room to make the equipment Sky and I discussed up a few messages.

I'm thinking maybe we should move this to Astronomy & Astrophysics. Opinions?

Naturally, I have no evidence about it. This discussion was just a small, informal group of military people and scientists that concerned a variety of different subjects, and I just happened to be part of it--a very small part. Well, we got to talking about the Washington DC flap of July 1952 and were just looking through some old records and documents, and some of the scientists started talking about anti-gravity fields and things like that.

I had to refresh my memory on that one. After doing so, I can't agree with the USAF version (which wound up in the Condon Report) of atmospheric conditions. It doesn't fit the facts as presented nor does it fit what I remember from being a radarman in the Navy. (An inversion layer can be a real b***h since aircraft can be on top of one and not seen by radar. This doesn't always happen but it's still there. Or was in the 60s.)

well the first pic was fake clearly you can tell someone placed it there physically and the moon one is just something crawling over the lens.... :(

well the first pic was fake clearly you can tell someone placed it there physically and the moon one is just something crawling over the lens.... :(

I'll agree with the first but any kind of astronomer would check the second as a matter of course. That's why I said it was mundane check.

Kludge, using my phone at the moment as I'm rebuilding the laptop I use for UM. I'll reply as soon as it's finished. :)

No worries. I'm going to be in bed for a while anyway. Not feeling so good - probably over did it today.

I'd say the notion of alien visitation is a bit more reasonable than that of visitation from the 'tooth fairy'.

However, I'd also say that many unknowns being seen stand a good chance of being terrestrial in origin.

See this link: http://www.ufocasebo...triangular.html

I've been thinking about the NIDS thinking (Hmmm ... thinking about thinking - sounds like me on a good day ;) ) and my own experiments with the Biefeld-Brown Effect. This is essentially an electrostatic lifting device although the home versions are nowhere near powerful enough to lift their own power sources. With a lighter than air (LTA) vehicle to handle that part, it seems quite practical to use it since manipulating the field can be used to steer as well as drive such a vehicle and it's significantly quieter than other forms of drive.

As to why a triangle, I don't know for sure. I know not all the BB Effect lifter I've seen and built were/are triangles although many were/are. (All of mine were but that's because I'm cheap and it was the easiest shape to make with a minimum of materials. :D )