Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Will Happen to Syria's Alawites and Kurd

Erikl

If Bashar Falls, What Will Happen to Syria's Alawites and Kurds?

By Bianca Ceralvo

AUGUST 24, 2012, 12:00 PM

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is facing immense pressure to step down from power to end the conflict in his country. Unfortunately, ending the Syrian conflict is not that easy. Syria, like most countries in the Middle East, has kept a precarious balance of power between religious and ethnic groups for centuries. Assad stepping down may be the drastic change that the Syrian people need, but it could also have disastrous consequences for some of these groups.

Let us examine two of the largest minority groups in Syria-- Alawites and Kurds-- and see how they fit into the scene of this ongoing conflict.

http://www.linktv.org/mosaic/blog/post/1256/if-bashar-falls-what-will-happen-to-syrias-alawites-and-kurds

An interesting review of Syria's two largest minorities and their fate after the fall of the Assad tyranny. I should add that with them, there are also about 2 million Christians and about half a million Druze. All in-all, only about 65% of Syria are Sunni Arabs, the rest belong to either other ethnic groups (Kurds) or other religions (Druze, Christians and Alawites).

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knight Of Shadows

• and-then

• SteveBronfman

• Jackofalltrades

Popular Days

It seems to me that either one group will rise to crush the others OR Syria will resemble Lebanon of the '70s and '80s. Where's a Rodney King when you need him? :whistle:

correction .. kurds and christians are the largest minorites in syria

the 2.1 million alwities is not accurate nor correct

correction .. kurds and christians are the largest minorites in syria

the 2.1 million alwities is not accurate nor correct

In your opinion, how will the Kurds and Christians be dealt with? I'm pretty sure the Alawites better leave while they can...

christians finally taken the neutral stand

you see christians have long been part of syria .. way before this system ever came

and we lived with them and " protected them from massacares " in the past

i doubt they will come to harm .. except those who were proven to have commit killing for the system

they would be put to trial

kurds .. nothing will be done for them because most of kurds with the revolution

only few parties really sided with the system but on general scale .. most of kurds sided against the system

again same as above only those proven to have commited crimes or muderer will come to harm

as for alwities well you maybe right on this one as for the public opinion there has been really rise of hate for them

the so called " Shabiha " groups of armed civilians " mostly " alwities commiting

rape , torture , killing , and massacares

i wouldn't be surprised if syrians majorities and other minorties taken action against them

doubt it will reach ethnic cleansing level though but you never know

i guess only time can tell

The Alawites will be massacred and persecuted by the Sunni (probably leaving in large numbers for Iran or the West) and the Kurds will continue to be occupied by Arabs and Turks.