Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ibogaine-Plant That Could Cure Addiction

Big Bad Voodoo

Anthropologists will never completly understood Shamans. I think that they need to go trough some expireinces like Castaneda to understand them. Supernatural beings realy live in changed state of mind according to Shamans in diffrent areas of world. Amercian native shaman used to say that tobacco is food for that beings. After you made trip inside a true reality(as they say) you realize that reality you know is self aware faking. We all know that plants could communicate so I wonder did Shamans find way to speak with plants. When Anthropologists asked south American natives about Ayahuasca they said that plants told them how to create it. Somehow Im sure that we have cure for all disease hidden in plants on Earth. Or even in ocean. Who knows what mixing substance from algae and some plant in amazonia could create? Recently I wrote blog about hypnosis and how before Opium was used as anasthetisia. Amazon indians knew to prepare Curare (paralyzing poison) long ago.Plants like that we cadle them.They even recognize their relatives as one research show.

That all say I must say that science often hold human progress. If people notice something and if that works why dont scientists go explore it.

Imagine how many life can be saved with this great plant. Is this conspiracy?

http://www.asylum.com/2010/04/27/we-investigate-ibogaine-iboga-howard-lotsof-addiction-cure/

• Like 1

Here are some of the people and places we contacted over a month to talk to about ibogaine, none of whom responded: The Betty Ford Clinic, The Hazelden Center, The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, The University of South Florida, Columbia University, Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Penn.), Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.)

The last four entries on that list are of special significance: Those senators are the ranking members of the U.S. Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs -- the people responsible for making drug laws in the U.S.

• Like 1

Shamman indeed talk to plants.

• Like 1

You are throwing pails of water on giant waves . These people make much more money with their drugs . No one wants to see all those pharmaceutical reps crying in their beer that cheap safe alternative exist .

All those poor MDs,who won't get their $kickbacks ,for pushing all that poison pharmy goodness.

People like you and I,are conspiracy nuts ....tut tut .Poor us.

If there ever was an apocalypse ,and drug companies all got blown up ,who would heal the people who are left ?

People who only know how to cut burn and poison,or people who can pick leaves and stop bleeding,quell infection .

Unnnnn hhhuuuhhh.....

*goes back to making her immunity mix for the week*

• Like 1

Here are some of the people and places we contacted over a month to talk to about ibogaine, none of whom responded: The Betty Ford Clinic, The Hazelden Center, The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency, The University of South Florida, Columbia University, Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Penn.), Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. Lindsay Graham (R-S.C.)

The last four entries on that list are of special significance: Those senators are the ranking members of the U.S. Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs -- the people responsible for making drug laws in the U.S.

All those poor rehab places would go out of business. All those methodone clinics too. All the drugs they use,no longer needed.

There's a drug for narcotic addiction .it cures the patient completely,within days. The US pharm industry will not allow it into the country .

It's used successfully in Europe .

• Like 1

If I am reading the article correctly, there appears to be significant adverse effects and side-effects using that substance for addition cessation.

Perhaps this is why it is not currently cleared for use in the US.

Maybe further studies can be done to isolate the beneficial compounds and remove the harmful ones.

Most addicts have a moderate to serious impaired liver function, which can render some drugs toxic.

My thoughts are that this potential "wonder drug" is best utilized in a clinical setting with close doctor supervision.

If there ever was an apocalypse ,and drug companies all got blown up ,who would heal the people who are left ?

People who only know how to cut burn and poison,or people who can pick leaves and stop bleeding,quell infection .

Herbalism was still alive where I from. :)

If I am reading the article correctly, there appears to be significant adverse effects and side-effects using that substance for addition cessation.

Perhaps this is why it is not currently cleared for use in the US.

Maybe further studies can be done to isolate the beneficial compounds and remove the harmful ones.

Most addicts have a moderate to serious impaired liver function, which can render some drugs toxic.

My thoughts are that this potential "wonder drug" is best utilized in a clinical setting with close doctor supervision.

Yes but how many people died from drug everyday? Also there are side effect from many "cures" addicts get.

Plus one offical reply would be nice. Not mentioned researching it.

Edited by the L

All those poor rehab places would go out of business. All those methodone clinics too. All the drugs they use,no longer needed.

There's a drug for narcotic addiction .it cures the patient completely,within days. The US pharm industry will not allow it into the country .

Couldnt agreed more. Its bussiness. Who cares about healt anymore. Its like famous Stalin once said:

One death is tragedy. Million deaths is a statistic.

We are just numbers.

Edited by the L

What is it called?

Perhaps in countries like the US, where the government relies on businesses to provide services like health insurance, the theory that business interests prohibit medical research into plants with effective therapeutic potential, is justified. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny for all of those countries whose governments foot the responsibility for health care. In Australia, you can buy health insurance if you want it.You only get the Medicare tax increase if you make over 80k per year and don't purchase health insurance when you turn 30. If you get sick, the government's Medicare program means that every citizen gets healthcare, insurance or not. If you have no insurance, and it's not an urgent condition, you might have to wait, but you're not going to be left to die. You don't lose your house because you get cancer. If you get prescribed some medicine, the government's Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme subsidises the cost of the medication. You get a further discount on medicine if you have a low income, a disability, or are on a pension.

Governments in Australia recognise the immense social and economical cost of addiction, because they bear the weight of that cost. It's expensive to put people in gaol. It costs money to send out an ambulance for an OD, and to treat them in hospital. It costs money to fund intervention programs for families where a parent is addicted. It costs money to fight drug-related crime. The government pays for these things in Australia, and so they're very interested in mitigating these costs. The Tasmanian government is considering making it illegal to sell tobacco to people who turn 18 after the year 2000. This means that from 2018, the only people who will be allowed to purchase tobacco products will be people who were born no later than 1999. The goal is no new smokers in Tasmania after 2018.

Perhaps the Big Pharma conspiracy theory holds weight in the US, because big companies seem to have quite a lot of political power in the US. It doesn't hold weight in countries where the responsibility for health care is on the shoulders of government, and subject to independent oversight. In Australia, everybody votes, and so people are more engaged with the political process. There is a lot of whinging if they don't like the way the government is operating, especially if it threatens the programs by which we define our standard of living.

If this plant is truly a viable cure for addiction, I think there would be plenty of interest in developing it. Addiction is a very complex condition, and perhaps a product developed from this plant would be effective for some people. I doubt that it would be a guaranteed cure for every case of addiction, because individual biochemistry is so variable. Patients also tend to have variable thresholds for the amount of adverse side-effects they will tolerate. Perhaps the actual reason for the reluctance to develop this plant into a treatment, is that it may less effective than its enthusiasts would have us believe. I don't think the Big Pharma conspiracy has anything to do with it.

• Like 1

...the theory that business interests prohibit medical research into plants with effective therapeutic potential...

That's just plain rediculous. Business people are for the money, so it is in their best financial interest to investigate and promote novel drugs.

He is speaking about Ibogaine which is plant found in Africa. It can cure heroin addiction in one treatment while you go through a hallucinogenic state. It has an incredible success rate but go figure, is illegal here in the states to use. The curing process is hellish to say the least but then again, so is weening off of methadone. I suffered with heroin addiction years ago & rehabs are worthless. They don't help you, just charge you money. I wish I had this option when I kicked. Instead I locked myself away for weeks going through a nightmare only I saw. When things got too bad I popped a handful of valium & slept through the worst part. I did this for weeks & it was horrid. Had I had this option I would've only had to go through 8 hours of hell instead of weeks. There's a great documentary about a billionaire junkie that goes through this process & it can be found on Netflix.

• Like 2

Perhaps in countries like the US, where the government relies on businesses to provide services like health insurance, the theory that business interests prohibit medical research into plants with effective therapeutic potential, is justified. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny for all of those countries whose governments foot the responsibility for health care. In Australia, you can buy health insurance if you want it.You only get the Medicare tax increase if you make over 80k per year and don't purchase health insurance when you turn 30. If you get sick, the government's Medicare program means that every citizen gets healthcare, insurance or not. If you have no insurance, and it's not an urgent condition, you might have to wait, but you're not going to be left to die. You don't lose your house because you get cancer. If you get prescribed some medicine, the government's Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme subsidises the cost of the medication. You get a further discount on medicine if you have a low income, a disability, or are on a pension.

Governments in Australia recognise the immense social and economical cost of addiction, because they bear the weight of that cost. It's expensive to put people in gaol. It costs money to send out an ambulance for an OD, and to treat them in hospital. It costs money to fund intervention programs for families where a parent is addicted. It costs money to fight drug-related crime. The government pays for these things in Australia, and so they're very interested in mitigating these costs. The Tasmanian government is considering making it illegal to sell tobacco to people who turn 18 after the year 2000. This means that from 2018, the only people who will be allowed to purchase tobacco products will be people who were born no later than 1999. The goal is no new smokers in Tasmania after 2018.

Perhaps the Big Pharma conspiracy theory holds weight in the US, because big companies seem to have quite a lot of political power in the US. It doesn't hold weight in countries where the responsibility for health care is on the shoulders of government, and subject to independent oversight. In Australia, everybody votes, and so people are more engaged with the political process. There is a lot of whinging if they don't like the way the government is operating, especially if it threatens the programs by which we define our standard of living.

If this plant is truly a viable cure for addiction, I think there would be plenty of interest in developing it. Addiction is a very complex condition, and perhaps a product developed from this plant would be effective for some people. I doubt that it would be a guaranteed cure for every case of addiction, because individual biochemistry is so variable. Patients also tend to have variable thresholds for the amount of adverse side-effects they will tolerate. Perhaps the actual reason for the reluctance to develop this plant into a treatment, is that it may less effective than its enthusiasts would have us believe. I don't think the Big Pharma conspiracy has anything to do with it.

Excellent post. thanks for reminding me that the world is bigger than just the US, and for pointing out the illogical nature of this particular conspiracy theory.

I dont think there would be plenty of interests in developing it. If you think so you are naive. World isnt pink place with people with flowers and vanilla sugar in their heads.

Yes individual chemistry is variable but so it for others "cure".

I wonder if you goverment was so carring how come that Aboriginals people have so much problem with alchohol?

I dont think there would be plenty of interests in developing it. If you think so you are naive. World isnt pink place with people with flowers and vanilla sugar in their heads.

I wonder if you goverment was so carring how come that Aboriginals people have so much problem with alchohol?

You missed the entire point of the post. Governments who pay for health care for their citizens have a vested interest in finding the cheapest ways to do so......so if this African plant is so awesome at fixing addiction then surely one of these governments would have looked into it. There was nothing naive about the post, it was actually very logical - the opposite of most conspiracy theories.

You missed the entire point of the post. Governments who pay for health care for their citizens have a vested interest in finding the cheapest ways to do so......so if this African plant is so awesome at fixing addiction then surely one of these governments would have looked into it. There was nothing naive about the post, it was actually very logical - the opposite of most conspiracy theories.

Who ask Australia? Its century of USA.

Imagine that Tobacco industry falls. Not to mentioned heroine and cocaine.

Edited by the L

He is speaking about Ibogaine which is plant found in Africa. It can cure heroin addiction in one treatment while you go through a hallucinogenic state. It has an incredible success rate but go figure, is illegal here in the states to use. The curing process is hellish to say the least but then again, so is weening off of methadone. I suffered with heroin addiction years ago & rehabs are worthless. They don't help you, just charge you money. I wish I had this option when I kicked. Instead I locked myself away for weeks going through a nightmare only I saw. When things got too bad I popped a handful of valium & slept through the worst part. I did this for weeks & it was horrid. Had I had this option I would've only had to go through 8 hours of hell instead of weeks. There's a great documentary about a billionaire junkie that goes through this process & it can be found on Netflix.

How are you today? How many pass from the last time you took it? sorry if is it too personal question. Did you find something to replace it? Some healthier habbit.

I think that any addict could rather choose 24 hours of hell then weeks.

Edited by the L

Proponents of ibogaine treatment for drug addiction have established formal and informal clinics or self-help groups in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, France, Slovenia, the Netherlands, Brazil, South Africa, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, where ibogaine is administered as an experimental compound.[15] Many users of ibogaine report experiencing visual phenomena during a waking dream state, such as instructive replays of life events that led to their addiction, while others report therapeutic shamanic visions that help them conquer the fears and negative emotions that might drive their addiction. wiki

And all in one night, Its cheaper then psychotherapy. I wonder is this plant have future in psychoterapy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YnCRxcFfg

Ibogaine: Rite of Passage (2004)

Directed by Ben Deloenen.[58] A heroin addict undergoes ibogaine treatment at the Ibogaine Association, a clinic in Mexico. Deloenen interviews people formerly addicted to heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine, who share their perspectives about ibogaine treatment. In Gabon, a Babongo woman receives iboga root for her depressive malaise. Deloenen visually contrasts this Western, clinical use of ibogaine with the Bwiti use of iboga root, but emphasizes the Western context.

A Revealing documentary about the most promising treatment modality for drug dependance available. It is the only substance we know, which is capable of blocking acute withdrawal in opioid addicts as well as cocaine and alcohol. Although the FDA decided in 1993 that Ibogaine showed enough signs of being an effective tool in the treatment of addiction, money is the problem; this natural occuring molecule cannot be patented and is not a maintenance drug with addictive properties; reason for the pharmaceutical industry not to invest in its development... Educate yourself about this unique tool! Our vision of saving the many lives of people with a chemical dependence is only as strong as the people who support us

20.56 : « During initiation we put a mirror in front of the patient, we put on makeup on him. From this moment, the patient looks into the mirror, and begins to see his double personality. He enters into the mirror, he passes through himself, since he’s got himself in front of himself. He penetrates into himself to see exactly who he is inside himself. It’s not a work of hallucination, it’s really a visionary work. It’s really something concrete, “du tac-au-tac”, question/answer.

• Like 1

Anthropologists will never completly understood Shamans. I think that they need to go trough some expireinces like Castaneda to understand them. Supernatural beings realy live in changed state of mind according to Shamans in diffrent areas of world. Amercian native shaman used to say that tobacco is food for that beings. After you made trip inside a true reality(as they say) you realize that reality you know is self aware faking. We all know that plants could communicate so I wonder did Shamans find way to speak with plants. When Anthropologists asked south American natives about Ayahuasca they said that plants told them how to create it. Somehow Im sure that we have cure for all disease hidden in plants on Earth. Or even in ocean. Who knows what mixing substance from algae and some plant in amazonia could create? Recently I wrote blog about hypnosis and how before Opium was used as anasthetisia. Amazon indians knew to prepare Curare (paralyzing poison) long ago.Plants like that we cadle them.They even recognize their relatives as one research show.

That all say I must say that science often hold human progress. If people notice something and if that works why dont scientists go explore it.

Imagine how many life can be saved with this great plant. Is this conspiracy?

http://www.asylum.co...addiction-cure/

not to get religious but i found this passage to be relevant:

"Allah has not sent down an illness without sending down a cure for it."

Ibogaine has been studied for decades ok. There's no conspiracy in this. It's just not wise to commercialize it because there are several side effects, and there still has to be research done about the possible fatalities it has caused over the years.

Also, scientists know that they ought to be researching everything to find cures...which is why they even study venom from scorpions, where they isolated certain elements which are now being used as painkillers.

I dno where you get this idea that scientists aren't researching what you think is important. Whatever you think you know, scientists have been researching it for years. So relax.

• Like 1

What the ??

You're just full of it aren't you? Going around this forum posting all kinds of things that you think is true.

It's not because you heard about this "wonder medicine" on Law and Order that it actually works that way. It's a tv show ....

Buprenorphine(Subutex or Suboxone), is for one allowed in the US and prescribed all around. Mainly because it allows patients to get a prescription for an entire month.

Buprenorphine is chosen over Methadone sometimes because some patients only need one dose every 3 days, and the dose itself is lower then methadone. It lessens the withdrawel effects, just like methadone, but with some patients, it's more effective. It DOES NOT miracously cure those ppl from addiction in a couple of days. Patients still have to go through the entire therapy procedure(which can take months) to have a , hopefully, succesful outcome.

Do some research before blurting out stuff, all over the damn place.

• Like 1

Excellent post. thanks for reminding me that the world is bigger than just the US, and for pointing out the illogical nature of this particular conspiracy theory.

Thankyou!

We can talk about the Aborigines and alcohol, if you like. Australia has an appalling record when it comes to the way we have treated our indigenous people. When we first came here, we shot them like animals. We couldn't even accept that they were human beings. I have heard anecdotaly, that hanging on the wall of a meeting room, in the Melbourne premises of a very old insurance company, there is a photograph of some white men holding up the head of a dead aboriginal man as a hunting trophy. I would not be surprised if that was true.

When we eventually decided that they were people, albeit not in the same way we thought of ourselves as people, we put them to work as slaves. We continued to do this up until the 1970s. In the 1860s, we started removing children from their parents, with a view to raising them as if they were white, but still denying them the equivalent citizen status as white people. This policy for forced removal continued even into the 1970s. The aim was to integrate these children into white culture, and to breed aboriginal people out of the population. It was a gradual ethnic cleansing. There are no Tasmanian aboriginal people left today. We only allowed aboriginal people to be citizens with a right to vote after the 1967 referendum. We took everything from them, and attempted to erase their culture and beliefs from the human record. Then we gave these traumatised people alcohol, and petrol to sniff, so that they could numb themselves.

In 2007 the federal government implemented what has become known as the Northern Territory Intervention. The Northern Territory has a high indigenous population, with many of them living in camp settlements as clan groups. These camps are incredibly remote, with very little paid employment. It's hard to get children to attend school, because there are no jobs to work toward. The cost of living is very high, because of the remoteness and unavailability of fresh fruit and vegetables. These populations survive on welfare payments, and on traditional hunting practices. There is a huge amount of alcohol abuse and petrol sniffing, because there isn't much else to do out in woop-woop.

One of the aims of the Intervention was to restrict the use of welfare payments. In indigenous culture, if you have money, and someone in your group asks for that money, it is taboo to refuse that request. This is especially the case when the person asking has a higher social standing in the group. When mothers received a parents allowance from the government, it was customary for family members with a higher rank, to demand the money. It was then at the discretion of that higher ranking person to spend that money on alcohol, if they wished. By "quarantining of a proportion of welfare benefits to all recipients in the designated communities, and of all benefits of those who neglect their children," the government sought to ensure that the welfare payments could only be used to buy food, to ensure that children were appropriately fed and cared for. If the payment is no longer cash, but a credit at the grocery store, other family members can't access the payment for purchasing alcohol. The Intervention has been criticised heavily, because it removes the right to aboriginal self-determination. It's seen as paternalistic, and it only attempts to resolve the symptoms of alcohol abuse in communities, instead of examining the causes for why these communities have such high levels of alcohol abuse.

There is nothing pink and flowery and vanilla about understanding how governments implement social welfare policy. Australia isn't the only country with a government operated health care system, or the only country where universities and hospitals conduct medical research. If you want to believe the Big Pharma conspiracy, you are entitled to do so. It is, however, a theory that I cannot believe when I consider the evidence in my own country.

• Like 1

Proponents of ibogaine treatment for drug addiction have established formal and informal clinics or self-help groups in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, France, Slovenia, the Netherlands, Brazil, South Africa, the United Kingdom and New Zealand, where ibogaine is administered as an experimental compound.[15] Many users of ibogaine report experiencing visual phenomena during a waking dream state, such as instructive replays of life events that led to their addiction, while others report therapeutic shamanic visions that help them conquer the fears and negative emotions that might drive their addiction. wiki

And all in one night, Its cheaper then psychotherapy. I wonder is this plant have future in psychoterapy.

Thanks for posting the video - amazing!!