Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of Ned Kelly's missing head 'solved'

Still Waters

Apparently they chopped Ned's head off to make a 'death mask'. Which, incidentally you don't have to do to make a death mask. But, nevertheless, Ned's head was detached from his body.

After they (apparently medical students) boiled the flesh from his skull in 1880, his skull had been on display from 'who knows when' until about 1978 at the old 'gaol', when Mr. Kelly's noggin' went missing. Which was also about the time that she acquired it.

I think that the security guard that passed it along to her, passed away in the last year or so.

Tipotep wrote; "Do you honestly believe that a security guard would have access to his remains ? Not likely .

Do you think that if he had access to the skull he would just give it away to some random Kiwi tourist ? Not likely "

Remember, that this was about 1978. 'Security' in those days was just a guy in a uniform, maybe. That was it.

As far as some 'random Kiwi tourist'. She said that she told the guy, at a party probably, that she collected skulls. She neglected to mention that her collection was mostly animal. Apparently he showed up a day or so later with Ned's head.

The security guard was just 'trying to get some'.

We'll see when the DNA's done though! I hope that this becomes a case of an 'explained mystery' but, we'll see.

My guess its not but I have been corrected in the past !

Im not so sure on the bit about him handing over the skull because he wanted some :)

DNA will answer it for us .

Tip

Thought the movie was duff, to be honest. (ham-acting)

On the plus side, if he had lips like Jagger that skull should be easy to spot. (Only joking, Mick)

But that's the only kind of acting Mick does .

To his credit,Ned Kelly was his first movie.

He's done maybe ten full movies . Last thing he did was The Bank Job,and all it was ,was a walk on cameo ,that you would miss,if you blinked .

Ever see Free Jack ?,The utter camp of his performance ,was hysterical .Also his performance in Performance,of Memo From Turner,was literally the first music video ,years before MTV.

Love Mick

Check him out as Greta . And this scene Is in a gay bistro ,in the 1930s ,just so everyone knows.

Im not so sure on the bit about him handing over the skull because he wanted some :)

Tip

Oh I don't know... Maybe he couldn't get his hands on some roses - or a box of chocolate... Maybe a skull worked...

After all she DID keep the skull....