Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians

ExpandMyMind

An Australian supermarket's cleaning firm has sparked outrage by posting an advert for staff that stipulated: "No Indians or Asians please."

The advert, posted on the Gumtree website, appealed for cleaners at a Coles supermarket in Hobart.

The authorities say they are investigating for race discrimination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19404379

They have likely broken the law and definitely lost their contract with Coles who would have moved to dissassociate themselves with this immediately. Like most firms, they would advertise themselves as an "equal opportunity employer".

Way to trash your cleaning business :whistle:

• Like 3

Could it be they weren't being racist, but were trying to encourage Australian citizens to apply? Not that I'm trying to excuse thier poor taste but it may have been a case of nationalism rather than racism.

• Like 5

Whoever's in charge of the advertising will have a lot of explaining to do haha.

I'm not agreeing with the topic but a lot of Asian and Italian building companies openly say they don't hire Australians, and no one kicks up a fuss.

• Like 2

regardless of how anyone else feels about it, the company should have the right to hire who they want. if they lose a contract because of their hiring policies then thats their problem.

• Like 2

The authorities say they are investigating for race discrimination.

political correctness is assuring you, a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

are these the same authorities that shipped off all our jobs and industries to those parts of the world... because they work for peanuts?

you can't have things both ways..

• Like 2

It has nothing to with racism, it has to do with personal experience and bias. One fellow got in quite some trouble only a few months back when he went looking for Bricklayers and advertised "no Irish" He had a string of Irish men whom he hired as bricklayers he found unsatisfactory, what his ignorance hides from him is that is not the country that is the problem, it is the individual. He would have made more headway if hed contacted a HR professional and sought instruction with his interview practises. I would say that fellow let himself down, and I think it might be the same case here. A persons own ignorance leads them to ignore those around him. I could see this being a similar situation.

Like he can talk anyways, he is from Tassie! Land of the Two Heads LOL (In-joke in Oz, no offence intended)

LINK - Perth bricklayer under fire over Gumtree ban on Irish workers

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 5

I recall a message board outside a supermarket owned by Indians not far from me, offering rooms to let......."must be Punjabi ". :o I'm sure if it said "must be WASP" it would have made the six o'clock news. That message was there for weeks. I am sure the explanation would have started with "we are not racists, but...."

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 5

I recall a message board outside a supermarket owned by Indians not far from me, offering rooms to let......."must be Punjabi ". :o I'm sure if it said "must be WASP" it would have made the six o'clock news. That message was there for weeks. I am sure the explanation would have started with "we are not racists, but...."

I laugh at the same sort of things on a weekly basis. We have *Indian and *Pakistani folk in our community who'd make the KKK feel guilty for maybe going a wee bit too far.

*Born in Scotland but only "Scottish" when they feel like it.

• Like 3

Could it be they weren't being racist, but were trying to encourage Australian citizens to apply? Not that I'm trying to excuse thier poor taste but it may have been a case of nationalism rather than racism.

ya i guess but if you live somewhere (legally of course) you should be considered Australian or american or what ever the country.
  • Like 1

Psyche.. i think you just revived my faith in humanity?

I take that as a huge honor. Thank you.

ya i guess but if you live somewhere (legally of course) you should be considered Australian or american or what ever the country.

Home is where the Heart is.

Personally I don't see any problem with them specifically saying "no (insert race here)". A majority of people seriously need to get a grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I think people should be able to hire who they want, as long as they are legal citizens, its their business and they pay the salary.

• Like 1

It's because their not good cleaners like Mexicans.

heheheh...

Australia sounds like USA. Here we can't advertise for certain ethnicity and race we must discriminate BEHIND close doors and unfortunately most times we get away with it...

Personally I don't see any problem with them specifically saying "no (insert race here)". A majority of people seriously need to get a grip.

I agree. And suggested once at a monthly meet that we put "No Australians" on a new ad for customer service staff... simply because it annoys some folk in Britain that some Aussies ask you a question with every sentence they utter. Really annoys. Plus of course, you are all convicts.

I was given a verbal warning. :)

(lol)

• Like 1

Meh.. nobody complains when the Ads say "No Cowboys!". :(

There is a 'building' firm near me that is run by an Indian family, the tag line on there business cards and promotional gear is...

'You have tried the cowboys, now try the Indians'

It always makes me smile when I see it. :)

Back to the story and thread in general, and as usual a 'race' related thread on UM exposes a few uncultured points of view...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Back to the story and thread in general, and as usual a 'race' related thread on UM exposes a few uncultured points of view...

Depends on how you define "uncultured".

"Politically Correct" however is as uncultured as you can get, in my opinion. (You cannot say what you feel in your own words in case it offends someone, somewhere)

• Like 1

Depends on how you define "uncultured".

"Politically Correct" however is as uncultured as you can get, in my opinion. (You cannot say what you feel in your own words in case it offends someone, somewhere)

Unfortunately there are so many of us these day's there are multiple definitions for everything and upsetting the apple-cart is unavoidable at times, intentional or not.

I went for 'uncultured' as it was the politest word I could think of to get my point across, I really enjoy UM but sometimes I feel what I read in threads of this nature lets down the site. I could go into more detail and quote individual posts, but I have done this here and on other forums and it goes nowhere, fast. It is also unfair on the individuals because it is hard to decipher the true intent of a comment, and that intent can also be 'changed' after posting.

I am for all for free speech, but that also includes me being able to say, 'hey buddy, your speech sucks!'

• Like 2

Unfortunately there are so many of us these day's there are multiple definitions for everything and upsetting the apple-cart is unavoidable at times, intentional or not.

I went for 'uncultured' as it was the politest word I could think of to get my point across, I really enjoy UM but sometimes I feel what I read in threads of this nature lets down the site. I could go into more detail and quote individual posts, but I have done this here and on other forums and it goes nowhere, fast. It is also unfair on the individuals because it is hard to decipher the true intent of a comment, and that intent can also be 'changed' after posting.

I am for all for free speech, but that also includes me being able to say, 'hey buddy, your speech sucks!'

Is it not better to read and hear a persons honest words and see them for what they are, than have everyone speak "nicely" but falsely? That's what we are doing, imo. :(

Everything 'looks' nice, so everything must 'be' nice. aka BS. aka kidding ourselves.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

Is it not better to read and hear a persons honest words and see them for what they are, than have everyone speak "nicely" but falsely? That's what we are doing, imo. :(

Everything 'looks' nice, so everything must 'be' nice. aka BS. aka kidding ourselves.

Yes, 100%. But its this truth that saddens me, especially on a site where you would expect a slightly more *intelligent than average user. This is what I was expressing.

*I know intelligence is not a yard stick for opinion, but ignorance is caused by lack of education.

• Like 1

ignorance is caused by lack of education.

With respect...

Lack of a proper education. As you know, even the educated can be bigoted. Our current UK Cabinet for example all went to "schools of excellence"... where bullying is actively encouraged by the faculty. It's tradition, after all.

p.s. I blame Alf Garnett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhXpmozpbE

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1