Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians

ExpandMyMind

I hate all this political correctness these days. In the past people weren't offended easily, nowadays the slightest thing sets people off.

In my grandparents days, The white and black Australians (Aborigines) would call each other white fellas and black fellas. They weren't being offensive, they would say it affectionately. Nowadays people say that's 'racist'. Even though they didn't feel that way.

And also Coles is a major supermarket here, in main competition with Woolworths. They wouldn't post ads on the website Gumtree. That site is mainly for people to sell second hand items etc. Probably just some joke played by an average Joe.

• Like 1

With respect...

Lack of a proper education. As you know, even the educated can be bigoted. Our current Cabinet for example all went to "schools of excellence"... where bullying is actively encouraged. It's tradition after all. :)

Sorry, I was not referring to education as in where you were schooled, just education in general, as in what you know and have learn't in the University of Life... Maybe knowledge would be more suitable choice of words.

It is a great example though, as 'intelligent' as some of these you mention are they display all the hallmarks of stupidity and ignorance.

What I find here are comments of a similar nature, despite some obviously intelligent people on UM, a thread like this throws up some unintelligent comments. People have the right to make them, people have the right to challenge them, me though I find them sad, maybe even embarrassing at times.

Edited to add: Elly (can I call you Elly ;) ). With respect, you don't need to add 'with respect' when addressing me m' ol' mucker. :)

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Edited to add: Elly (can I call you Elly ;) ). With respect, you don't need to add 'with respect' when addressing me m' ol' mucker. :)

Please don't. Elly is an Auntie name. :gun:

I was taught to always show respect to people I don't really know who look and sound like they may deserve respect. :) Once you know them though, it's game-on.

Now that I know you a little better... (lol)

Please don't. Elly is an Auntie name. :gun:

I was taught to always show respect to people I don't really know who look and sound like they may deserve respect. :) Once you know them though, it's game-on.

Now that I know you a little better... (lol)

Lol, it doesn't match your choice of avatars either...

Game on!, But I will stay of your lawn...

Just seen you posted an Alf Garnet clip, I am supposed to be working so I will have to watch it later... :(

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oi! watch it... I don't want my daughter having to be "sorry" for something that has no relation with the general public of her time.

I've seen a fair few videos on Youtube on Australians being racist towards English and French people.

I wouldn't be suprised if this was indeed racism when they say "No Indian's or Asian's."

I've seen a fair few videos on Youtube on Australians being racist towards English and French people.

I wouldn't be suprised if this was indeed racism when they say "No Indian's or Asian's."

I've seen a fair videos on youtube on British being racist torwards anyone

I've seen a fair videos on youtube on British being racist torwards anyone.

*headdesk*

Damn it, Britain.

I apologize: I'm sorry on behalf of any Briton's that are racist to you, or to people in general.

I don't mean to suggest that all Australian's are racist, but seeing the videos I have isn't helping their case in this thread. It goes both ways, but this thread is about Australian's.

There is a degree of enculturated difference though - in the UK "****" is a deeply offensive term, while in Australia it's just shorthand for "Pakistani", most often used in relation to the cricket team ie "it's the Pakis versus the Pom at the Gabba". So offensive it's censored by the UM automatic censor.

We even have potentially offensive terms for other states here, Banana Benders for Queensland, Mexicans for New South Wales, we call the people of Tasmania inbred and so forth.

The words are potentially offensive but the use isn't. Nine times out of eleven.

Edited by Wearer of Hats