Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Squatting will now be a criminal offence

Still Waters

Squatters’ rights will be scrapped from tomorrow, and a new law will mean those who invade private homes face six months in jail.

Until now, police could not evict squatters as soon as they moved in, so a homeowner’s main option to get them out was through a civil court order – which could be time consuming, expensive and stressful.

The introduction of the criminal offence of squatting, which carries a prison sentence, a £5,000 fine or both, follows a Government consultation last summer and means police can arrest squatters immediately.

Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘No longer will there be so-called "squatters’ rights".

http://www.dailymail...d-tomorrow.html

• Like 1

If you don't want someone in your house or on your property you should be able to get them off without filing a civil suit.

I'm surprised it's taken so long to make it illegal to be honest.

• Like 2

Oh how I laughed when I first thought this meant a different kind of squatting..... :blush:

• Like 2

Oh how I laughed when I first thought this meant a different kind of squatting..... :blush:

I won't lie. You're not the only one mate!

• Like 1

Squatters’ rights will be scrapped from tomorrow, and a new law will mean those who invade private homes face six months in jail.

Until now, police could not evict squatters as soon as they moved in, so a homeowner’s main option to get them out was through a civil court order – which could be time consuming, expensive and stressful.

The introduction of the criminal offence of squatting, which carries a prison sentence, a £5,000 fine or both, follows a Government consultation last summer and means police can arrest squatters immediately.

Housing minister Grant Shapps said: ‘No longer will there be so-called "squatters’ rights".

http://www.dailymail...d-tomorrow.html

Well at least they'll eat in prison lol.

Ah, a good news item for a change. :clap:

The thing that this story - and most anti-squatting attitudes - overlook is that squatting has a massively positive side. Don't get me wrong, of course it's rubbish if you've scrimped and saved for your home, come back after a month away and find it occupied by a bunch of hippies. But this, in my experience, is rarely the case. 'Squatters rights' are more commonly used to claim communal ownership of council owned places that have been derelict for years. For example, in the one case I have been involved in squatting it was to take over a building which had long been promised to the community but neglected to the point of dereliction by the council. Yes, we claimed 'squatters rights', but only to open the space up to the community and raise awareness of its neglect. It's easy to believe that this new legislation is protecting innocent homeowners, but in reality it's another way for local councils to protect their own interests...

The thing that this story - and most anti-squatting attitudes - overlook is that squatting has a massively positive side. Don't get me wrong, of course it's rubbish if you've scrimped and saved for your home, come back after a month away and find it occupied by a bunch of hippies. But this, in my experience, is rarely the case. 'Squatters rights' are more commonly used to claim communal ownership of council owned places that have been derelict for years. For example, in the one case I have been involved in squatting it was to take over a building which had long been promised to the community but neglected to the point of dereliction by the council. Yes, we claimed 'squatters rights', but only to open the space up to the community and raise awareness of its neglect. It's easy to believe that this new legislation is protecting innocent homeowners, but in reality it's another way for local councils to protect their own interests...

And having said all that, if it only saves one person the misery of having their home invaded & trashed, then it is a welcome change to the law.