Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Asks for Asteroid Detecting Ideas

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA asking for ideas about asteroid detectors

NASA is studying the placement of an instrument on a commercial or U.S. government communications satellite to detect and track asteroids near Earth for potential human visits.

The space agency has released a request for information seeking ideas for a sensor to discover a hypothesized set of asteroids very near Earth, opening the possibility for exploration by future astronaut crews.

Instead of funding a dedicated spacecraft to survey asteroid populations, NASA is considering a piggyback instrument on a satellite in geosynchronous orbit, a perch more than 22,000 miles above the equator tailored for communications missions.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• DONTEATUS

• skookum

• Junior Chubb

Top Posters In This Topic

Roll on the 2020's. Looks like space will be the place to be.

Reality TV on Mars and people mining asteroids in space. I can't see it myself, maybe I don't have 2020 vision... ;)

Even if its off by a few decades Im All in for our exploration of the Stars ! We Will be there If we can over come ourselfs !

I really feel confident NASA are committed to achieving this on time and will get the support they need. This recession will not last forever and hopefully as wars like Afghanistan come to an end future budgets can allow for missions like this to become a reality.

The most exciting thing and possibly the most important at the moment is privatized space exploration, something I think is being overshadowed by the Chinese claims and efforts.