Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Infection risk posed by cats revealed

Still Waters

Experts say more research is needed into a disease spread by cats after figures show an estimated 350,000 people a year in the UK become infected with toxoplasmosis.

Although only a minority of people - between one and two in every 10 - has symptoms, advisers say extra measures to control the disease may be needed.

The disease is spread by direct contact with cats or eating contaminated food.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19474612

ya weird disease makes mice sexually attracted to cat pee (weird) and makes humans very aggressive i hear.

My new cat lost his home, because somebody saw this on Dr Oz show. I think more people get it from under cooked meat than they do from cats. I have owned cats all my life, I don't know if I have it or not. I think the benefits I get from pet ownership far out way any risks.

http://mritechnicianschools.net/2010/17-health-benefits-of-owning-a-cat/

• Like 2

I have five cats, have had cats my whole life. If I have it, i don't know it.

• Like 3

I for one would love to see cats banned,i hate them with a passion.They spread disease,they defecate and urinate where they please but still thats why air rifles were invented...

I have a cat and I love him to pieces. If I had toxoplasmosis, I think it probably would have been picked up by now considering the enormous amount of blood tests I've had this past year and recently since becoming ill.

• Like 2

I for one would love to see cats banned,i hate them with a passion.They spread disease,they defecate and urinate where they please but still thats why air rifles were invented...

In my neighborhood you could say the same for humans.

I have a cat and I love him to pieces. If I had toxoplasmosis, I think it probably would have been picked up by now considering the enormous amount of blood tests I've had this past year and recently since becoming ill.

I know what you mean, I have been tested for everything, too. My immune system is compromised by the meds I take for MS. I use gloves when I do the litter box and when I do a full clean I take a shower. Actually if you don't let them outside you don't really have to worry about it.

• Like 3

"I for one would love to see cats banned,i hate them with a passion.They spread disease,they defecate and urinate where they please but still thats why air rifles were invented." - Shadow

During the middle ages they hated cats too and that's why they suffered periodic plagues. Cats kill rats and mice. That is their role in the ecosystem and what they are good at, to keep down the numbers of rodents.

Art

• Like 4

In my neighborhood you could say the same for humans.

I know what you mean, I have been tested for everything, too. My immune system is compromised by the meds I take for MS. I use gloves when I do the litter box and when I do a full clean I take a shower. Actually if you don't let them outside you don't really have to worry about it.

I'm sorry to hear that, Darkwind. My cat doesn't go outside, so I think I'll be okay like you said. :) I, too, use gloves and take a shower afterward due to immune system issues.

Edited by Galilei
  • Like 1

Hmm, the most prevalent method of transmission is "Ingestion of raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison containing Toxoplasma cysts." wiki source

I guess that doesn't shound as alarming as "Cats makes your brain crazy!"

• Like 1

My new cat lost his home, because somebody saw this on Dr Oz show. I think more people get it from under cooked meat than they do from cats. I have owned cats all my life, I don't know if I have it or not. I think the benefits I get from pet ownership far out way any risks.

http://mritechnicianschools.net/2010/17-health-benefits-of-owning-a-cat/

Are you kidding . That is so ignorant

They saw it on Dr oz,and its true ?

He's the biggest in the pocket of big pharm and establishment ,including fox news,guy ,that there is.

If cats killed ,there wouodnt be any crazy cat ladies. Just look on petfinder.com .

How many cat shelters are there,all run by no less than 2 women ,and then all the cat adopters.

There would be an epidemic ,if even 2 in ten people showed symptoms.

They're probably looking for an excuse to euthanize more cats .

• Like 1

I've had many cats and I've never gotten anything off of them. However my son was scratched by a kitten once, not mine, and got cat scratch fever. He had to go to the doctor and was really sick for a few days.

Cats spread no disease,and the hunt animals that do . And I'm sure there's and air rifle that will back fire ,with your name on it .

Cats spread no disease,and the hunt animals that do . And I'm sure there's and air rifle that will back fire ,with your name on it .

I'm quite sure it won't...... :tu:

I hope you get eaten by cats.

They do not spread disease and they are very particular about where they go to the bathroom. You know nothing of felines.

• Like 1

I'm quite sure it won't...... :tu:

It doesn't have to backfire, because I'll be pointing one right at you :tu:

Edited by Xetan

Coward.

Trusty pellet gun.

200 lb wild cat (The Equalizer).

Priceless.

Shadow 134,

It's okay not to like cats, but there are other nonviolent/nonharmful options to your cat problem.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Cats have a will that is their own. you cant make a cat do anything he or she does not want to do. That is the stem cause for most people's dislike for cats. That and the knowlegde that if that cat was any bigger..... it would eat you.

There are very few ways to infect yourself with toxo, the only secure one is digging in the cats litter box and not washing your hands afterwards.

Besides that, between 1/3 and half of humanity already carry the protozoon in them, even if they have no cats, mostly by eating infected meat. There are studies that are pretty convincing like Torda A (2001). "Toxoplasmosis. Are cats really the source?". Aust Fam Physician (sorry don't think it is available online) that dispute a necessary cat link. What is certain is that cats are much more resistant to the bug and therefore more likely to have it symptomless than other large mammals.

Of you want to make sure have your cat tested during your next vet visit and a simple Clindamycin treatment can kill the dormant disease.

And remember: If you keep your pets healthy so will you be.

Edited by questionmark

i am deeply suspicious of cat people, you are all weird

Coward.

Trusty pellet gun.

200 lb wild cat (The Equalizer).

Priceless.

Shadow 134,

It's okay not to like cats, but there are other nonviolent/nonharmful options to your cat problem.

In what way am i a coward if a 750 pound black bear wanders on to my property,i am entitled to shoot it and no one bats an eyelid...

In what way am i a coward if a 750 pound black bear wanders on to my property,i am entitled to shoot it and no one bats an eyelid...

I was referring to shooting at 10 lb cats. And how it would be different if it were a fairer fight with a 200 lb Wild Cat, not some neighbor's kitty. Again, I don't care if you don't like cats, but there are ways to solve your problem without physically hurting the cats. And bragging/posting about shooting at cats? I'd think a man would brag if he got that 200 lb Wild Cat with a pellet gun, not some kitty.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Life is fatal. If just living slightly longer meant giving up my pets. I'd rather live a pretty short life, cause they make my life wonderful, even if they are frustrating little monsters.

keep the cat. clean the litter tray. wash your hands

wash your hands more often - even when you think you don't really need to. you touched all those things that all those other people touched who touched all those things that all those other people touched, and so on...