Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fish-eating pterosaur found in Germany

questionmark

A new species of pterosaur, the flying reptiles that lived alongside the dinosaurs, has been discovered in Germany. It dates from the late Jurassic period, around 155 million years ago, making it one of the oldest pterosaurs known.

Read more

• Like 3

Interesting find, I think there is so much we don't know as of yet about dinosaurs and other extinct animals.

One day they will be digging up our bones and saying we have found some of our ancient relatives we evolved from that lived before the great war that took out most of civilization.

Can you imagine how beautiful they must have been while flying? Seeing them gliding over the water and flying around cliffs? They must have been a sight to behold. Pterosaurs were members of the Archosaur family, but more closely related to crocodiles and alligators than to dinosaurs or birds.

http://eonsepochsetc.com/Mesozoic/Triassic/Tri_Animals/Dinosaurs/archosaurs.html

Edited by Artaxerxes
  • Like 4

Wow, what an interesting and beautiful find! If my eyes aren't mistaking me, I believe I can see the pteroid, a bone unique to pterosaurs. There has been debate among scientists relating to this bone and its articulation.

Edit: Sorry, minor spelling error!

Edited by Galilei
  • Like 1

An excellent specimen. One of the best I've seen. And the wading aspect is certainly fascinating. I've always thought that a lot of coastal pterosaur species would likely have been waders before the divergence of open-sea fishers. This seems to support my hypothesis.

Can you imagine how beautiful they must have been while flying? Seeing them gliding over the water and flying around cliffs? They must have been a sight to behold. Pterosaurs were members of the Archosaur family, but more closely related to crocodiles and alligators than to dinosaurs or birds.

http://eonsepochsetc...archosaurs.html

And how scary when some of them landed near you, lol:

hatzegopteryx.jpg

• Like 2

Don't you just love this when they discover a new species cool. :tu: