Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

Scientists cracks the 'junk DNA’ code

3 posts in this topic

One of the biggest mysteries in genetics has been solved after an international team of hundreds of scientists uncovered the secrets of “junk DNA”.

Hailed as the biggest breakthrough in genomics in a decade, the project explained how swathes of DNA once thought to have no purpose, actually form a complex “control panel” for our genes.

The study is expected to lead to new medical treatments by pinpointing key areas of the genome which cause diseases such as cancer.

Certain “switches” have already been linked to 100 diseases including Crohn’s disease, childhood diabetes and schizophrenia. Only one to two per cent of our genome contains genes, the parts of our DNA bearing instructions for the creation of proteins from which cells are made.

http://www.telegraph...k-DNA-code.html

1 person likes this

Excellent... maybe someday they will be able to have effective gene therapy for some of these genetic diseases...

A good next step...

One of the biggest mysteries in genetics has been solved after an international team of hundreds of scientists uncovered the secrets of “junk DNA”.

Hailed as the biggest breakthrough in genomics in a decade, the project explained how swathes of DNA once thought to have no purpose, actually form a complex “control panel” for our genes.

The study is expected to lead to new medical treatments by pinpointing key areas of the genome which cause diseases such as cancer.

Certain “switches” have already been linked to 100 diseases including Crohn’s disease, childhood diabetes and schizophrenia. Only one to two per cent of our genome contains genes, the parts of our DNA bearing instructions for the creation of proteins from which cells are made.

http://www.telegraph...k-DNA-code.html

Kind of weird. I realized this was new, but I use this information so much I guess I didn't think it newsworthy. I mean, you have to think if they are writing a review of the information there is a lot of information out there.

Edited by FurthurBB