Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lemuria

Alisdair.MacDonald

The Black Sea deluge is a hypothesized catastrophic rise in the level of the Black Sea circa 5600 BC due to waters from the Mediterranean Sea breaching a sill in the Bosporus Strait.

http://en.wikipedia....luge_hypothesis

5600 BC, that's about 8000 BP.

The time Mt. Etna exploded and collapsed... and when Doggerland got flooded by the Storegga Slide.

But I am not sure... new dates say the Black Sea got flooded earlier.

Anyone?

Edited by Abramelin

I fail to understand something. Tsunami come and go. How come that Sea in front of Lybia was flooded even today?

Edited by the L

I dont know when Black sea was flooded but whats stuning is that under water in todays Black sea we can found Bronze age civilization and todays shore stone age cultures. How come?

I dont know when Black sea was flooded but whats stunning is that under water in todays Black sea we can found Bronze age civilization and todays shore stone age cultures. How come?

According to the latest findings, the area surrounding the ancient Black Sea got SLOWLY flooded.

The people living there did not need to 'run for the hills'.

Ah yes Lemuria the other lost continent the book was a pleasant read actually. :yes:

I fail to understand something. Tsunami come and go. How come that Sea in front of Lybia was flooded even today?

Because the African plate is moving northwards and bumping into the Eurasian plate.

There are more processes going on than just rising sea levels,

Yes, that's what The_Spartan already posted.

And then the 'channelers' took over, lol.

But they never 'channeled' anything about real submerged lands.

The Black Sea deluge is a hypothesized catastrophic rise in the level of the Black Sea circa 5600 BC due to waters from the Mediterranean Sea breaching a sill in the Bosporus Strait.

http://en.wikipedia....luge_hypothesis

5600 BC, that's about 8000 BP.

The time Mt. Etna exploded and collapsed... and when Doggerland got flooded by the Storegga Slide.

But I am not sure... new dates say the Black Sea got flooded earlier.

Anyone?

Something was going on in that time frame. Around 6000BC.

imo it makes sense that the Black Sea was flooded around the time of a large scale Mt Etna eruption and tsunami imo. The Storegga Slide seemingly imo should have generated massive earthquakes and other disturbances all throughout the European plate.

This collapse involved an estimated 290 km (180 mi) length of coastal shelf, with a total volume of 3,500 km3 (840 cu mi) of debris.This would be the equivalent volume to an area the size of Iceland covered to a depth of 34 m (112 ft).

Based on carbon dating of plant material recovered from sediment deposited by the tsunami, the latest incident occurred around 6100 BCE Storegga Slide that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide

------------------------------------------------

Maybe Lemuria was not as big, it could have been possibly a land bridge that reached near India from East Africa, what seems likely in this scenario is that Aboriginals and other early migrations out of Africa that all end up in Asia may have exited Africa by this route, which led straight to Asia.

I was right about the earlier date for the flooding of the Black Sea:

A February 2009 article reported that the flooding might have been "quite mild".

According to a study by Giosan et al. the level in the Black Sea before the marine reconnection was 30 m below present sea level, rather than the 80 m, or lower, of the catastrophe theories. If the flood occurred at all, the sea level increase and the flooded area during the reconnection were significantly smaller than previously proposed. It also occurred earlier than initially surmised, ca. 7400 BC, rather than the originally proposed 5600 BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

This is a more detailed map of Sundaland, including river systems:

Sundaland_rivers_IceAge.gif

Although not visible in the above map, Sundaland also incorpotated the dry seabed between Japan and the mainland of Asia.

==

Proposed migration patterns from Sundaland to the Asian mainland:

Sundaland_migration_pattern.jpg

http://farm3.staticf...32d3_z.jpg?zz=1

Edited by Abramelin

An interesting review of Oppenheimer's theory about Sundaland:

An Atlantis in the Indian Ocean

(Review of Stephen Oppenheimer's Eden in the East)

Koenraad Elst

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fa4HwDaiS0oJ:koenraadelst.bharatvani.org/reviews/atlantis.html&hl=nl&gl=nl&prmd=imvns&strip=1

(...)

According to Oppenheimer, the Southeast-Asian Atlantis, provisionally called Sundaland because it now is the Sunda shelf, was the world leader in the Neolithic Revolution (start of agriculture), using stones for grinding wild grains as early as 24,000 ago, more than ten thousand years older than in Egypt or Palestine. Before and especially during the gradual flooding of their lowland, the Sundalanders spread out to neighbouring lands: the Asian mainland including China, India and Mesopotamia, and the island world from Madagascar to the Philippines and New Guinea, whence they later colonized Polynesia as far as Easter Island, Hawaii and New Zealand.

Oppenheimer aligns with the archaeologists against the linguists in the controversy about the homeland of the Austronesian language family (Malay, Tagalog, Maori, Malgasy etc.): he locates it in Sundaland and its upper regions which now make up the coasts of the Southeast-Asian countries, whereas most linguists maintain that southern China was the land of origin. Part of the argument concerns chronology: Oppenheimer proposes a higher chronology than Peter Bellwood and other out-of-China theorists. My experience with IE studies makes me favour a higher chronology, for new findings (e.g. that "pre-IE" peoples like the Pelasgians and the Etruscans, not to speak of the Harappans, turn out to have been earlier "Aryan" settlers) have consistently been pushing the date of the fragmentation of PIE back into the past.

Another reason for not relying too much on the theories of the linguists is that Austronesian linguistics is a very demanding field, comprising the study of hundreds of small languages most of which have no literature, so the number of genuine experts is far smaller than in the case of IE, and even in the latter case linguists are nowhere near a consensus on the homeland question. Linguistic evidence is very soft evidence, and usually the data admit of more than one historical reconstruction, so I don't think there is any compelling evidence against a Sundaland homeland hypothesis. Conversely, archaeological and genetic evidence in favour of the spread of the Austronesian-speaking populations from Sundaland seems to be sufficient.

It is quite certain that some of these Austronesians must have landed in India, some on their way to Madagascar, some to stay and mix with the natives. Hence the presence of some Austronesian words in Indian languages of all families, most prominently ayi/bayi, "mother" (as in the Marathi girls' names Tarabai, Lakshmi-bai etc.), or words for "bamboo", "fruit", "honey". More spectacularly, linguists like Isidore Dyen have discerned a considerable common vocabulary in the core lexicon of Austronesian and Indo-European, including pronouns, numerals (e.g. Malay dva, "two") and terms for the elements. Oppenheimer doesn't go into this question, but diehard invasionists might use his findings to suggest an Aryan invasion into India not from the northwest, but from the southeast.

(...)

The next site at first gave me a bit 'fringy' impression, but I think I was wrong.

It's again about Oppenheimer's theory, and the one who created that webpage added a lot of (Pacific) myths and other scientic finds and theories to prove his/her point...

And yes, Barry Fell is also mentioned, but you can't have it all, ok? Lol.

Also don't be scared about the 'snake people': this is not a David Icke "Reptilian" thing at all.

Nagas of the Pacific

http://alternativear...-of-the-pacific

(...)

And yet, Stephen Oppenheimer mentions in his book "Eden in the East", that the drowned Sunda continental shelf just off Island Southeast Asia, essentially remained warm to temperate throughout the Ice Age, providing hundreds of miles of flat fertile coastland suitable for agriculture before the flood. R.J. Morley and J.R. Fenley write in their book, "Late Cainozoic Vegetational and Environmental Changes in the Malay Archipelago," pg. 55, that Sundaland at the height of the last Ice Age, consisted largely of flat grassy plains and many pine forests, save for a middle region defined by the northern half of Borneo, regions which continued to be "everwet" and humid throughout the Ice Age.

Oppenheimer points out that Island Southeast Asia also contains the highest amount of flood myths out of the over 2000 known from around the world, and lost over 50% of its total landmass, the largest concentration of land due to post-glacial melting. Any civilization that did exist on that landmass theoretically "had the whole Ice Age to develop" over potentially 1000's of years.

Sumet Jumsai, a Thai architect, emphasizes the prime value of the Sunda real estate during the last Glacial Period. "Unlike the Amazon and Congo basins, the South-east Asian continent [sundaland] and the land patches which grew in the Pacific were new and relatively free of predatory animals, making them an ideal zone for human survival." In other words, due to the relative protected nature of the fertile valleys of Sundaland and somewhat isolated larger islands just off the mainland, the absence of ferocious and large Ice Age predators, such as the saber-toothed tiger, created an especially safe environment and thus sufficient time necessary for early Ice Age peoples to cast off primitive hunter-gathering lifestyles and begin down the road of experimenting with wild plants and agriculture, and thus civilization.

These Ice Age forests may then provide a suitable location for a drier land of Cedar forests, as opposed to the now much more humid tropical to subtropical vegetation now present at such equatorial latitudes. Is Sundaland indeed the land of Cedars mentioned in relation to the gardens of Dilmun in the Sumerian cunieform texts? Also, is it possible that legends of Eden in the Near East, preserve the memory of an extremely ancient land of abundance located further east out into the Pacific Ocean?

(...)

+++++++++

EDIT:

"his/her".... It's a he:

Hi, I'm Brandon Miller, author of the site Alternative Archaeology. My site is done mostly out of a sheer sense of curiosity and interest. A hobby at most, but I try to be as objective as possible in my writings.

http://alternativearchaeology.jigsy.com/About-Author

Edited by Abramelin

Like I said in the Doggerland thread: "this is about a REAL submerged land", not a land no one can find (or located around the globe), not a land ONLY found in some multi-interpretable story, not a land fabricated by 'channelers'.

Lol, it appears to me, again, that as soon as something that once really existed shows up, the silence is deafeniing.

Following the story of the well known american archeologist Martin Mystere (the comics not the cartoon) Mu and Atlantis destroyed themselves in a long and apocalyptic war around 15.000-10.000 y ago :geek:

Edited by ~C.S.M~

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a likely candidate..

Quite a few years ago an ancient stone city was found in northern NZ that pre-dated the Maori peoples.

It's existence here in NZ has been hushed.

http://www.everythingiselectric.com/new-zealand/waipoua-forest-stone-city.html

Lemuria????

Map shows Ocean depth..

If you have a look at google earth you can see undersea canyons..

figure-1.jpg

And it submerged like 20-25 million years ago.

Same as the Kerguelen Plateau.

I was reading about the Messinian Salinity crisis and i remembered that someone ..i thi9nk it was puzzler (i am not sure) pointing out the presence of remains of elephants and hippos in malta, crete, sicily etc and she was wondering how they got across.

The Messinian event provided also an opportunity to many African species, including antelopes, elephant and hippopotamus to migrate into the empty basin, obviously close to the descending great rivers, to reach interior wetter cooler highlands such as Malta: as the sea level was dropping, as such species would not have been able to cross the wide hot empty sink at maximum dryness.[citation needed] After the return of the sea water, they remained on the islands, where they underwent insular dwarfism during the Pleistocene as on Crete (Hippopotamus creutzburgi), on Cyprus (H. minor), on Malta (H. melitensis) and Sicily (H. pentlandi)[citation needed]. Of these, the Cyprus Dwarf Hippopotamus, survived until the end of the Pleistocene or early Holocene.[34][35] But some of these species may have crossed the sea when it was flooded, washed out to sea on rafts of floating vegetation, or with some species (e.g. elephants) by swimming.