Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do some people attract ghosts to themselves?

Bling

I don't know much about this subject so I'd like your advice and opinions please.

I feel I have experienced more than my fair share of paranormal through my life, here's an example

1) http://www.unexplain...howtopic=232574

In this same house I once held a little seance, just me and my ex, and I suddenly came over intensely sad and burst out crying, I was fine a few seconds earlier and it was such an intense feeling that I ran out of the room and recovered soon after.

2) As well as this experience mentioned in the link above, I lived in a house that needed an exorcism/cleansing from the local vicars (priests) when I was 8. In that house I would often be petrified in my bedroom and felt like there were 'people' staring down at me and surrounding me when I was in bed, and I felt icy cold patches in the room. My parents didn't talk about it with me because I was so young but I heard them talking about 'another weird thing happened' and they set up a mini altar in the spare bedroom - with crosses and statues etc. I wasn't aware of anything apart the presence in my bedroom I just mentioned, but maybe because I was young I just accepted it.

3) I went to a friend of a friends house, they were spiritualists, and they said I had the spirit of a young boy with me, he was from the tudor period and called Mark, and stayed with me wherever I went.

4) Another house I lived brought more weird experiences...I would see family photos on the wall that weren't actually there, they would just be there for a few seconds but were so vivid. I also heard an evil voice whisper in my ear something threatening which was totally scary.

5) In the bungalow I live in now we have videoed orbs, strange intense smells which don't last long and cannot be explained, cold breezes on our body, the dog sometimes seems teased by something invisible (like something is poking them from one direction and another), and things are often getting lost and moved ( I always blame the fiance but maybe I shouldn't!!).

So what do you make of all that? Complete coincidences? Something weird about me (behave now!)? Do I attract the paranormal? or some other opinion you may have?

I look forward to your opinions and questions, but be nice!!

• Like 5

i have had some odd occurances..after thinking.. im not so sure that they were ghosts.... maybe someone trying to get my attention... thats right.. someone........... who kicked the pink ball and shut my door(twice)

I know there are ghosts because I have seen one. I have heard of people that attrack ghosts. I think that is because not everyone can see them or sense them.

• Like 1

[Warning Mini Essay Ahead] If it wasn't for my family's experience I wouldn't have believed it myself, but I'm quite certain they do. I was actually talking to someone about this the other day, because they disagreed with a couple who planned to sue their home's former owner for not initially disclosing that it was haunted. The previous owners went on to refute these and claimed to have never experienced any paranormal activity whatsoever during their 7 years stay there.

I've already written about it on my blog, but I'll paste it below for you to read. Please note that some of this won't make a lot of sense (especially with regards to the colour references) because I have deleted the floor plans to protect the interests of the present owners, for I do not want to compromise security.

The article I wrote basically details the time my sister lived in the Old Vicarage in the historic county of Northumberland (which has more castles than any other in England) and just next door to Seaton Delaval Hall. The whole area is known for its hauntings, but bear in mind that I was only made aware of these tales after having delved deeper into the hauntings my family had earlier informed me about. My investigations on the area in general are still on going.

Here are local tales from others in the area: http://ghostystuff.b...soleum-and.html

I know this topic is very different to what I would normally talk about, but I have a real fascination with ghosts and other such things that go bump in the night!

I’ll let you in on a family tale from a couple of years back.

It took place in a wonderful house over in Seaton Delaval in Northumberland. This building could only be leased out and could not be purchased out right, and thus you may come across some former tenants who have similarly rented the property over the years. My sister had been renting the house from Smiths Gore over the course of a few years because of their specialty in dealing with rural locations. Indeed the building is Grade II listed, and is in fact a few hundred meters to the side of astoundingly beautiful Seaton Delaval Hall.

Click on image or see the location on Google maps: http://g.co/maps/rnbz5

seaton-delaval1.jpg?w=1024&h=641

Notice the three outlined areas? Well on the left we have Seaton Delaval Hall, the middle we have The Old Vicarage and to the right we have the Mausoleum.

The building in question is known as ‘The Vicarage’ within the above Google map, though it is better known as ‘The Old Vicarage‘ to the locals.

Though my sister had no direct experience with ghosts whilst living there her family however did, as did my other sister who had gone there to visit.

Interestingly there’s a local ghost story that mentions a ‘Lady in Grey’ who has been seen on numerous occasions in and around Seaton Delaval Hall as well as the Mausoleum. Legend has it that the Grey Lady is Lady Hastings, though some also believe that it was the wife of a soldier who had been killed in battle against the Scots. The Mausoleum is located just behind The Old Vicarage and is surrounded by a cluster of trees. Here is the location relative to The Old Vicarage:

http://g.co/maps/8mwn4

maus-vicarage1.jpg?w=1024&h=642

I’ve visited the mausoleum on numerous occasions and it still spooks me out!

Now I was told that the Mausoleum is not only haunted, but that it was never blessed by a priest; hence the reason why none of the family over at the Hall were ever buried there.

In fact while we’re on the topic of the Mausoleum, I’ve found some pictures that some people have already taken. I do not know who owns these pictures, though just leave a message if you are one of the owners and you will be credited/item removed:

p0007523.jpg?w=710

My personal experience whilst staying there was not very eventful I’m afraid and certainly not compared to others as you’ll find out. I had been staying in the bedroom on the first floor (the house only has one floor above the ground floor) that’s closest to the nearby Hall and which overlooks the Mausoleum, when the windows began to rattle about apparently because of the wind. After about five minutes of this incessant rattling, I decided to look outside for a suitable explanation and soon realised that it wasn’t even a windy night (looking at the nearby row of trees that blocked my view of the Hall itself). It was upon realising this that I began to get creeped out and before I knew it I was sleeping on the couch in the games room two rooms down. You might well be laughing but I can only tell you that once I had exhausted every rational explanation, I was very soon consumed by fear that was further heightened by the knowledge that the building was very old and that the area had been the site of many bloody battles between England and Scotland.

house-windows-chatsworth.jpg?w=750

The windows were similar in size to these from Chatsworth House. There were around 2-3 windows per room and they were large.

Prior to me having stayed there no one in my family had told me about these hauntings and it was only after I had informed my sister about the strange occurrence the previous night, that she opened up about what had been happening there.

She would go on to tell me how our younger sister had a frightening experience a few weeks prior in which she had slept in the very same bedroom but with the cat at the foot of the bed and with the door closed. During the night one of the pictures on the dressing table lifted off and smashed onto the floor. The strange thing was that the broken frame was laid out in the centre of the room rather than directly under the dressing table as one would normally expect to happen. The cat was absolutely terrified and had supposedly scratched at her in a desperate bid to have her open the bedroom door. Upon hearing this I felt I had a lucky escape in that haunted room!

She went on to tell me that her husband’s brother would often come up from London to visit over the weekends. This brother had stayed within the very same room that both our younger sister and I would later stay in. She relayed to me that he had actually woken up one morning to see a group of ghostly figures (one of an old man and another appearing to be that of a teenager) peering over him as he lay in bed. He was supposed to be so traumatised by this event that he never stayed in the room again and had recurring nightmares thereafter.

We’ve discussed this as a family and come to the conclusion that because the building undoubtedly had religious ties, the ghosts or spirits (or whatever you want to call them) may not have looked fondly on his sexuality, for he would sometimes bring his boyfriend there to stay as well.

My sister’s daughter who was around 9 at the time also had a strange experience whilst living there. Her bedroom was on the complete opposite side of the house to the haunted room previously mentioned. I’ve recently quizzed her about it and she’s adamant that she heard a blood-curdling disembodied scream from a female voice that apparently came from within the house or gardens. Her grandfather’s office (father of my sister’s husband) was on the ground floor though once again on the complete opposite side of the house and directly underneath the haunted bedroom. She told me that her grandfather believed initially that it was her that had screamed and so had run out of his office to see what the trouble was. Once they both realised that neither of them had been the cause, they began a search of the house and the grounds though found nothing amiss.

Now I’ve come to some conclusions about this because both of them had been on complete opposite sides of the house meaning that the scream was undoubtedly from within the vicinity for it to have been heard by them both. The building, while not very deep (probably the same depth as a standard semi), was very wide; you may zoom in on the building using Google maps and compare its width with the red car in the drive to see what I mean. The building is also quite isolated from the Hall and from the nearby village, and so the prospect of some lady wandering in from the road or the fields is unlikely – especially because the road leading up to the house (and in fact Seaton Delaval village) is quite a long one.

car1.jpg?w=1024&h=639

Note the size of the car compared to the house. I will also mention that you could only ever see just over half of the house from the front because of the orchard walls. It was only when you entered the house that you appreciated its size

The last experience my sister’s family had does in fact involve my sister, though she never saw the apparition. Her husband’s (by the way she was engaged to him at the time) office/playroom was located on the same side of the house as the haunted room, though on the ground floor and at the front of the building (whereas his father’s office was at the same side of the house but was located at the rear of the building overlooking the back garden and Mausoleum).

In fact before we go on I have even gone to the trouble of including a layout from my memory of the house and a picture showing my niece (in the blue dress) with her friends. I hope it gives you some baring as to the next course of events I am about to describe:

rear-of-house-1.jpg?w=721&h=1024

This is a picture showing the rear of the house. Notice its size relative to the windows and door that’s ajar. This side faced toward the Mausoleum.

There were two staircases that came down from the first floor landing on either side of the house, though when you first entered the you would appear directly underneath the landing and in a marbled entrance.

Now my sister’s husband had come out of his office (see Blue 1 in layout of Ground Floor) and could see a lady with long dark hair just disappear off from the opposite staircase and into the nearby hallway (that led to the rear of the house and also into the kitchen and pantry area – see Red 1 + 2). He called out to this woman believing it to have been my sister. When he got no response he followed through under the landing and over to where she’d gone (see Blue 2), only for my sister to appear from the top of the landing wondering why he had been calling her name (see Green 3).

There was a search of the house to make sure there was no intruder and all the locks and windows were secure, for no one had entered the house. I’ve asked him about what he saw but because he is a man ruled by science and mathematics (and with a Ph.D to prove he’s not a nutcase), he’s not really the type of guy who would divulge though contrary to what I have said in the above floor layout, she did not turn to face him when he had initially called out to her – something he had initially thought odd of my sister to have done.

However the story does not end there. Some local cleaners were employed to clean the house every week or so and I was told by both my niece and her mum that after they had left the house, the cleaners had gone in for a final clean before the new tenants arrived (whenever that was).

Whilst one of the cleaners was working within another part of the house, the other was working in one of the top floor bathrooms. It is here that one of them saw the full bodied apparition of a man. They had been so frightened that they refused to go back in there. Obviously because neither of my family had spoken to the lady, they did not manage to find out any more details about his description.

My niece believes that the spirits had become upset over their moving out, though none of them were in the least bit surprised to hear what had happened to the poor cleaners.

Anyway hope you enjoyed that and feel free to comment if you have any further questions or if you have had any ghostly experiences of your own you wish to share.

I'm a sceptic but i must admit i hope there is an afterlife but my scepticism usually gets in the way i've got really angry in the past when friends or family have told me about paranormal experiences even to people on this forum who i apologize to. The only weird experiences i've had i posted here

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184127&st=195

They sure hate me.......I can't get a spook, or a Demon to give me the time of day.

Are they attracted to certain people?....No.

" certain " people are infatuated with " ghosts ", and have not educated themselves on what " ghosts " really are.

Is the folklore of " ghosts " real?...Yes, the stories made up are real, and passed on.

Do people believe them?.......Do I need to answer that?

So, I am saying they are not attracted to anyone.....People love " mysteries ", and some people love them so much they refuse to be open minded enough to see real explanations to their " experience ".

Death is also something everyone wonders about, so some also would like to " believe " there is some sort of after life, and if not " believing " in ghosts dampers that, they will hold strong to faith to keep hope alive.

• Like 5

I believe that ghost's do exist, there has been a few time's that I have seen them, one of a dog one of a little girl one of a shadow

person (dark outline of a person that seemed to be wearing a hood or had long hair)

I have also seen a dark entity (a blob of mist/smoke is the only way I can describe it) that seemed evil in nature (that is the only one that made me feel uneasy and also felt dread with)

Whether or not some people attract ghost's or not is a question I would like to know the answer too also

@ Sakari....

I know for a fact that I am not infatuated with ghost's, and how do You educate Yourself when it concern's ghost's ? as far as I am aware they

cannot be proven or dis-proven to exist using the scientific technology/knowledge we have at this current time

"Are they attracted to certain people?....No." how can You be so sure ?

"people love them so much they refuse to be open minded enough to see real explanations to their " experience "

If there was any feasible explanation for the sighting's I have seen I have not come across any (and believe me I have tried), I agree that some people do have

experience's that they probably could explain, but do not due to jumping to a conclusion without investigating (A little bit like You are doing now)....

But what about the people that have had experience's that they have tried to explain but cannot do so ?

• Like 2

Yes ghosts exist - until someone has had the experience of them to know, I'm not sure how they can be so sure in their logic to say they point blank don't exist. As for the question, do some people attract them ?

People that appear to do so in my opinion are natural mediums and empaths - in other words their awareness is simply connected to the more subtle layers of energy and consciousness. Some people because of this naturally act as 'amps' or hold more space energetically. When you get a couple of people like this in a group setting bouncing off one another, who can perceive ghosts, entities, the spirit levels, all sorts of interesting stuff can happen.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 3

As some people have said above, if you are more open to them I think you are more likely to attract them. Speaking from personal experience, I've always been a little bit sensitive to energy and spirits around me - it's not always something I'm thankful for, believe me - and because of this, sometimes they come to me. They can sense that you are attuned to them and that you can speak to them/see them/hear them/whatever, so that might make a ghost come to you.

Yes ghosts exist - until someone has had the experience of them to know, I'm not sure how they can be so sure in their logic to say they point blank don't exist.

This has been stated numerous times, I had made a thread on " skeptic experiences ".....Quite a few of them.

I have had several myself.....Does this make me say " ghosts exist "....No it does not.

Can I explain all of the experiences, no I can not.....But there are things that can explain them, besides jumping to a un-proven thing.

I don't think some people attract ghosts any more than some people attract squirrels. Although if I believed in ghosts or were a ghost myself I'd say it would probably be a bigger kick to hang around a highstrung believer than someone who doesn't believe. Although those non-believers would be a fun challenge. I'd be a real ass-hole if I were a ghostie. :lol:

I believe they choose those that have the ability to communicate. They seem to know who can and who can't communicate. That

might help with the attraction thing. It also sounds like you are empathetic. Empaths can feel the emotions of the living and dead. The dead seem to be able to make you feel there emotions very strongly. That why you felt overwhelmed, sometimes it hard to separate their emotions from your own. Welcome to the world of weird I've been dealing with this stuff since I was a teenager. It's not the

easiest to deal with but it does help to talk about it with who experienced some of the same things.

• Like 1

I look at it this way. It doesn't matter if you're a ghost, a person or an animal. You will be attracted to a person that you can communicate with. So I would think some people do attract ghosts more than others because they are empathetic in some way.

• Like 1

They sure hate me.......I can't get a spook, or a Demon to give me the time of day.

Are they attracted to certain people?....No.

" certain " people are infatuated with " ghosts ", and have not educated themselves on what " ghosts " really are.

Is the folklore of " ghosts " real?...Yes, the stories made up are real, and passed on.

Do people believe them?.......Do I need to answer that?

So, I am saying they are not attracted to anyone.....People love " mysteries ", and some people love them so much they refuse to be open minded enough to see real explanations to their " experience ".

Death is also something everyone wonders about, so some also would like to " believe " there is some sort of after life, and if not " believing " in ghosts dampers that, they will hold strong to faith to keep hope alive.

I don't think ghost would be attracted to your attitude towards them. Even a ghost shown themself to you it seems you are more likely to dismiss yourself as crazy then actually bother to talk to the ghost.

Anyway assuming ghost exist its pretty much 100% they are attracted to certain people. Some people have 5 or 6 experiences while some have 0.

Or some people can see them and some people just can't.

But what about the people that have had experience's that they have tried to explain but cannot do so ?

Is the one thought that makes me bash my head against the wall on the whole subject. I try to search for them I find explainable answers when I don't look that is when the experience's I can't explain happen. Sort of like what would happen to the paparazzi if celebs had ghostlike abilties to get away from the camera but anyway..

If ghosts have any sort of resemblence of their past life it wouldn't be surprising to find that they would be attracted to the same sort of people that they would of had as friends in their life and those who they can communicate with seems good as well.

I think if a Ghost is intelligent not just a residual and going through afterlife in a constant "loop" then its is very possible that they could be attracted more to you.

Thanks for your opinions, not sure I agree with some though. I'm very open minded B)

Sorry, but this makes me laugh a tiny bit :)

not sure I agree with some though...........I'm very open minded........not sure I agree with some though

See where you went with that? :)

• Like 1

I don't believe in Ghosts, however I do believe in evil spirits that like to torment humans. Personally I believe that most hauntings are actually demonic attacks, and must be repelled by the power of God. I know that this is not a popular or mainstream view when it comes to this phenomena but I stick by it.

Sorry, but this makes me laugh a tiny bit :)

not sure I agree with some though...........I'm very open minded........not sure I agree with some though

See where you went with that? :)

Surely it's because I'm open minded that I choose to hear someone but not necessarily agree with them! :)

@ Sakari....

I know for a fact that I am not infatuated with ghost's, and how do You educate Yourself when it concern's ghost's ? as far as I am aware they

cannot be proven or dis-proven to exist using the scientific technology/knowledge we have at this current time

"Are they attracted to certain people?....No." how can You be so sure ?

"people love them so much they refuse to be open minded enough to see real explanations to their " experience "

If there was any feasible explanation for the sighting's I have seen I have not come across any (and believe me I have tried), I agree that some people do have

experience's that they probably could explain, but do not due to jumping to a conclusion without investigating (A little bit like You are doing now)....

Start on this forum....

Stop researching " ghosts "...

Research " EMF ".....But not the false ghost information you get, the real thing....Start here, and do more..... http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222978&hl=

Research weather, and how " cold spots " can happen....( and many other things )

Research sound, all levels of it.....

Research how our brains try to understand and make a image our eye see's that is not " normal ", or not all there......Not how the Eye " sees" images....

And most important, research the mind, Psychological.....And how above, and many other things stimulate the brain, and can make anyone see a " ghost " in the right conditions, especially one that believes they may exist....Gives the brain something to point you at when it is not sure what your eyes just saw.( because of how the eye and brain work )...

I have all ready gone over most to many times to count, and posted information on each thing......Trust me, start looking at those things, and you will start to understand. If at the least, you will have learned a lot.....I did.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I would have to say that I believe that certain people who are more aware 'notice' things of the paranormal type more often than those people who don't give a hoot. If your favorite color is (for instance) purple, you will notice purple things around you, unlike the person next to you that might like red and notice the red things around them.

Some people do seem to attract entities and energies. Like others have mentioned, it's probably because they somehow know that those people can see/hear them. My best friend has a tendency to walk into an area and it seems like every single spook in the vicinity decides to drop in on us.

I think you may be more on the 'aware' side of the coin. You were introduced to the paranormal at a young age (and it seems that, sadly, children are more susceptible to seeing and hearing paranormal entities) that you became aware that there is 'something' else out there and now that you are older you haven't forgotten that. It opens your mind to realize it could be more than just the wind that's making that whisper or a house settling that's making things go bump in the night.

And finally, if you have a history of moving into older houses where people have made their homes and left behind their own energy you are more likely to see the remnants of their lives. I lived in a house that was built in the early 1900's and I felt and saw things there that made me think about who that house belonged to before. Maybe a good smudging or cleansing will relieve the house of some of it's old energies and allow room for your own personal energy to move in.

Good luck! :)

• Like 2

Well I would have to say that I believe that certain people who are more aware 'notice' things of the paranormal type more often than those people who don't give a hoot. If your favorite color is (for instance) purple, you will notice purple things around you, unlike the person next to you that might like red and notice the red things around them.

Some people do seem to attract entities and energies. Like others have mentioned, it's probably because they somehow know that those people can see/hear them. My best friend has a tendency to walk into an area and it seems like every single spook in the vicinity decides to drop in on us.

I think you may be more on the 'aware' side of the coin. You were introduced to the paranormal at a young age (and it seems that, sadly, children are more susceptible to seeing and hearing paranormal entities) that you became aware that there is 'something' else out there and now that you are older you haven't forgotten that. It opens your mind to realize it could be more than just the wind that's making that whisper or a house settling that's making things go bump in the night.

And finally, if you have a history of moving into older houses where people have made their homes and left behind their own energy you are more likely to see the remnants of their lives. I lived in a house that was built in the early 1900's and I felt and saw things there that made me think about who that house belonged to before. Maybe a good smudging or cleansing will relieve the house of some of it's old energies and allow room for your own personal energy to move in.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for that :tu:

• Like 1