Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Know it all? Or perhaps you’re suffering from

Still Waters

Every family has one: at the climax of a gripping murder mystery the same know-it-all will declare smugly, “I knew the culprit all along”.

Now it is the braggarts’ turn to be found out. Scientists claim to have established that, far from being super-sleuths, such people are usually deluded.

Researchers found that they are suffering from “hindsight bias”, when a person genuinely believes that they know something when in fact they are hearing or seeing it for the first time.

Although the effects might seem relatively harmless, researchers claimed it could prevent people learning why something has happened or from taking advice.

http://www.telegraph...sight-bias.html

Seems to me that most people suffer from this. If you don't learn from your mistakes you will be doomed to repeat them. When someone says "I knew it all along", I ask them "Why did you keep quiet until now?" If you see a friend or loved one making a mistake, it is your duty to tell them before it becomes too late to fix. If they choose to ignore advice or get offended by hearing something they don't want to, at least you did what you could. If it turns out you were wrong, simply apologize and hope that the friendship will survive, if you were right then don't say anything, and hope that they realize you were only helping them to avoid unpleasantness.

As far as the "murderer" in a movie, well I prefer to learn for myself, nothing is more annoying than someone who gives away the ending to a movie. I do, occasionally, like to pause a movie halfway through and see who my wife & I think may be the culprit, 90% of the time we are wrong but the guessing is so much fun.

• Like 1

if i took a test to see how much i know out of all the knowledge collected in the world, it probably wouldn't be measurable. -.-

There's nothing worse than a know it all, you can't tell them anything.

Either that, or it is simply the intellectual superiority complex.

A.K.A. Human Pride/Ego

Inferiority complex that would be, people with inferiority complex project themselves greater than they are, people with superiority complex smaller than they are.

THEEEEEEEEEEEEN you get the person who says they knew it all along, and you ask them how they figured it out. Turns out they can't give any reasons.

That is why I always whisper the answer to my husband. So we can knuckle bump at the end.

But, in more seriousness, I do know a know it all. Nothing worse than having a conversation about something and they ALWAYS have their own situation to interject because they know SO much about it, even though three minutes ago they told you they had no idea about the topic at hand. Usually that conversation goes along with them staring blankly while you talk about something, then they will suddenly light up and agree with you as though they suddenly remember something they have always known. Is very...odd.

Skitso is what I call them.

Sometimes it's pride,sometimes they just thought it was easy to predict.I hate the former.

Looks like we have discovered why people are religious :)

This study basically states that people who have deja vu are dillusional and bragarts.This cannot be used to explain away truely intelligent people who can actually rationally predict events before they happen and it is usually considered as a Good quality called 'foresight'. Hind sight bias in most ocassion is not a conscious thing but a subconscious assimilation of facts.Its like you wait till what like the 5th standard before you learn about gravity theoretically but you feel that you already knew gravity was there though you wouldn't go about telling people that there is gravity but when you learn the word for it in school,even if you don't exclaim the thought still runs in your mind that you already knew it. I feel that it is a very stupid study done by people suffering from inferiority complex and to declare that mediocrity is better then intelligence as any demonstration of intelligence is considered bragging lol.

Every family has one: at the climax of a gripping murder mystery the same know-it-all will declare smugly, “I knew the culprit all along”.

Now it is the braggarts’ turn to be found out. Scientists claim to have established that, far from being super-sleuths, such people are usually deluded.

Researchers found that they are suffering from “hindsight bias”, when a person genuinely believes that they know something when in fact they are hearing or seeing it for the first time.

Although the effects might seem relatively harmless, researchers claimed it could prevent people learning why something has happened or from taking advice.

http://www.telegraph...sight-bias.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqkI691dxNg&feature=related