Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hyenas are as bright as primates

Still Waters

They were depicted as slobbering, slow-witted beasts by Disney in the hit movie The Lion King, but hyenas are far more intelligent than they have been given credit for.

New research has revealed the African carnivores are adept at solving problems and can even “count”. Scientists now believe the animals may have intelligence levels that match some primates.

The animals, which are highly social, have been found to assess the size of a competing pack which is invading their territory, by listening to their calls. They will only confront the intruders if the “count” shows they have a numerical advantage.

http://www.telegraph...arch-shows.html

I believe it...the females have a clitoris that is shaped and positioned like a penis and can have an erection. With 100% of them having pensis' how can they not be smart :D

• Like 1

I believe it...the females have a clitoris that is shaped and positioned like a penis and can have an erection. With 100% of them having pensis' how can they not be smart :D

Lmao was wondering where you were going with that

I remember Jane Goodall once saying that if she had not been studying chimps. she would be studying hyenas instead.

• Like 2

Score one more for nature!

I've always loved hyenas! Any animal that can laugh while it's tearing you apart has got something crazy going on. No wonder I call my ex- a hyena... :P

• Like 2

Hang on a minute... is it 'smart as a primate week'?

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 3

LOL!

Shaped and positioned like a penis but still a clitoris... ;)

These brilliant animals are also matriarchal! :D

Having spent a great deal of time studying spotted hyenas in Africa, this new research is both fascinating, and yet, in some sense, not entirely surprising. After a year of observing the animals and their social interactions, their behaviors, their hunting patterns and problem solving skills... Having also studied primates such as chimpanzees, baboons, and gorillas, I can absolutely believe that hyenas are on par in intelligence (maybe not quite great ape-grade intelligence, but I'd wager a spotted hyena could outthink a baboon any day...).

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not odd that the bush people of the plains have been telling the white man about the intelligence of hyena for years and years as long as the white man has been in africa.

But when a white scientist says it the masses believe!