Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did man and dinosaur co-exist?

Harsh86_Patel

Again, this is due entirely to your own ignorance. The fact that you are "baffled" indicates an utter lack of knowledge on the topic, though your own ignorance appears to not even cause you a moments hesitation concerning giving us your baseless and vapid opinions.

Source

If you bother to read the above, perhaps you will no longer be "baffled," considering that your belief that no metatarsal bones have ever been found for Australopithecines is simply an artifact of, again, your own personal ignorance.

Harte

If a arched foot footprint was found to be 3 million years old,that is circumstantial evidence that Homo Sapien could have been existing 3 million years ago,no need to attribute it to a new species of hominids that walked upright.

Finding a single metatarsal bone can in noway be enough evidence to accurately map the shape of the whole foot,attributing the find to an entire species as a uniform trait is a way bigger gamble.

Now i will show you how a real skeptic would analyse the info you have so candidly put up:

1.What evidence is there to attribute the metatarsal bone fossil to austrlopithicus and not to a Human or a Chimp etc?

2.Can a single metatarsal bone accurately depict the shape of the whole foot especially when it is claimed to be from a completely distinct species of which there is no living precedant witnessed by us?

3.Could a human/ape bone be attributed to an entirely new fictional species because it was thought to be older then Humans and Chimps?(for eg-3 million years old)

4.When someone says that Lucy (apparently the most complete Australopithicaus find) lacks any metatarsal or foot bones, can you refute this fact by pointing out a single fossilised metatarsal that could have in all probablilities been a chimp metatarsal?

5.Has an event where 'a combination of a chimp/orangutan/ape bone and human bones being heralded as a new species' ever happened in the mainstream? (spoilers-pilt down man)

I have heard 'extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence'............

We have a number of complete and near-complete Australopithecine skulls. What I posted was not a reconstruction, but a copy. We know exactly how theirs skull looked like.

No, because they are clearly belong to anatomically modern humans with pathological/artificial deformities.

OK. Name the medical conditions that would cause all the deformities in Lucy at the same time and stop shifting the bloody goalpost.

Only real difference? Look at the zygomatic arch, the curvature of the neurocranium, the position of the eyes, the height of the brow, the angle of the back of the skull, the size of the skull, the size of the brain, the whole lower jaw, the dentition, the size and shape of the viscerocranium and so on.

And now you are just spouting crazytalk. You can't just remove the jaw and say "Look, now it's similar!" Look at the whole bloody skull from different angles. And no, the reconstructions are not flawed, we have complete skulls.

One more image, with the skulls and the pelvises. If you still claim after this that a chimp and an Australopithecine is basically the same, then you are either delusional or a troll.

human-chimp-skull.jpg

Different reconstructions of Australopithicus available on google image search:

australopithecus_final_large.jpg

This looks very similar to chimp skull

220px-Australopithecusafarensis_reconstruction.jpg

This is a reconstruction and not a replica

A interesting read regarding Lucy's pelvis:

Lucy’s Pelvis

But if Lucy’s feet don’t show evidence of upright walking, what about her pelvis?

Lucy’s left innominate [hip-joint socket] had been bent out of shape and broken into about forty pieces while it was embedded in the ground. Owen X-rayed the fossil and discovered that the back of Lucy’s pelvis, where the sacrum connects with the innominate, had smashed against a rock or another bone during burial, shattering and twisting the ilium. He then spent six months carefully outlining and numbering each fragment of ilium, casting each piece of the fossil in plaster, smoothing out the edges, and then reassembling them in a three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle. Every fragment had to line up with adjoining pieces from both the front and the back side of the bone to convince Owen that he had overcome any distortion that occurred after the bone was damaged. Once Owen had restored the left side of the pelvis, he sculpted a mirror image of the right side in plaster and placed Lucy’s sacrum in between to complete his masterpiece.

When Owen brings a human pelvis, a chimp pelvis, and a cast of Lucy’s pelvis into an elementary-school classroom, the children have no trouble deciding which two look alike. Lucy’s pelvis has a bowl shape like a human pelvis, but it is not as deep. 11

So, Lucy's left-half pelvis you saw above isn’t one piece. It is about forty pieces that have been carefully shaped to remove the “distortion” they experienced during burial. Distortion is, by definition, a deviation from the normal shape. But since this is the only pelvis (actually, it is just a half-pelvis) they have for this species, how do they know what it is supposed to look like? All they have is a pre-conceived notion of what it should look like. Since it didn’t look like that when it came out of the ground, they had to reshape it to look the way Owen Lovejoy thought it should look.

What Did Johanson Really Find?

As far as we can tell, the bones that Johanson actually found indicate that Australopithecus afarensis is an extinct ape. It is the bones that he didn’t find (feet bones and an ”undistorted” pelvis) that have human characteristics.

Furthermore, by his own reckoning, he found bones that span more than one million years with very little variation in them. He found positive evidence that Australopithecus afarensis shows virtually no sign of evolution in a million years.

http://www.darwinismrefuted.com/origin_of_man_02.html

Also Australopithicus if indeed a different species was probably a sort of a chimpanzee,could be variant of a chimpanzee.

Also the human skull can also so a lot of variation as demonstrated by the bound skull i posted and also skulls of human dwarfs i.e so the shape of the skull doesn't necessarily indicate a different species:

OK, you are either delusional or a troll. I am done discussing this matter with you.

And darwinismrefuted.com is not a source, it's the internet equivalent of a crazy person on a soap box. Try peer-reviewed papers. Oh, you can't, because there aren't any that support your claim. Oops.

• Like 2

If a arched foot footprint was found to be 3 million years old,that is circumstantial evidence that Homo Sapien could have been existing 3 million years ago,no need to attribute it to a new species of hominids that walked upright.

Finding a single metatarsal bone can in noway be enough evidence to accurately map the shape of the whole foot,attributing the find to an entire species as a uniform trait is a way bigger gamble.

It can "in no way be enough evidence" for people who haven't troubled themselves with studying what is known about Hominid anatomy. That would include yourself.

Now i will show you how a real skeptic would analyse the info you have so candidly put up:

Necessary only to maintain your personal fantasy that no "real skeptic" has analyzed any of the hundreds of fossil bones of Australopithicines,

1.What evidence is there to attribute the metatarsal bone fossil to austrlopithicus and not to a Human or a Chimp etc?

Like other fossils of Australopithicines, the bone is intermediary between Chimp and Human.

2.Can a single metatarsal bone accurately depict the shape of the whole foot especially when it is claimed to be from a completely distinct species of which there is no living precedant witnessed by us?

"The whole foot" is not part of the claim. The claim involves an arched foot. In that aspect, yes, with certainty, if the Family (in this case, Hominidae,) can be determined.

3.Could a human/ape bone be attributed to an entirely new fictional species because it was thought to be older then Humans and Chimps?(for eg-3 million years old)

Why are you stuck on chimps? I thought you were hung up on an orangutan jaw.

The bones of Australopiticines are dissimilar enough from chimp and human for assigning them to a different species. Age is not part of this.

4.When someone says that Lucy (apparently the most complete Australapithicaus find) lacks any metatarsal or foot bones, can you refute this fact by pointing out a single fossilised metatarsal that could have in all probablilities been a chimp metatarsal?

Can you?

The "D" fossils are Dmanisi hominims. Note two Australopithicine at right

1-s2.0-S0047248410000564-gr5.jpg

Source

5.Has an event where 'a combination of a chimp/orangutan/ape bone and human bones being heralded as a new species' ever happened in the mainstream? (spoilers-pilt down man)

Has a nonbeliever ever relied on the claims of an infant science in order to pretend that modern science doesn't represent an advancement over older views?

I have heard 'extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence'............

The "extraordinary claim" here is that Hominid Paleontologists are all wrong, and Harsh86_Patel is right.

Harte

• Like 4

It can "in no way be enough evidence" for people who haven't troubled themselves with studying what is known about Hominid anatomy. That would include yourself.

Necessary only to maintain your personal fantasy that no "real skeptic" has analyzed any of the hundreds of fossil bones of Australopithicines,

Like other fossils of Australopithicines, the bone is intermediary between Chimp and Human.

"The whole foot" is not part of the claim. The claim involves an arched foot. In that aspect, yes, with certainty, if the Family (in this case, Hominidae,) can be determined.

Why are you stuck on chimps? I thought you were hung up on an orangutan jaw.

The bones of Australopiticines are dissimilar enough from chimp and human for assigning them to a different species. Age is not part of this.

Can you?

The "D" fossils are Dmanisi hominims. Note two Australopithicine at right

1-s2.0-S0047248410000564-gr5.jpg

Source

Has a nonbeliever ever relied on the claims of an infant science in order to pretend that modern science doesn't represent an advancement over older views?

The "extraordinary claim" here is that Hominid Paleontologists are all wrong, and Harsh86_Patel is right.

Harte

The so called difference in the bones of so called hominids is only in Degrees from Chimps etc.

LIke i said before that the wide variety of variations that you can observe in Human bones due to binding/deformities/disease etc should be a clue to how maleable Human skeletons can be.Same amount of maleability can be expected from Chimp skeletons.

There is a very big chance of an extinct monkey/chimp/primate being taken to be a Hominid if we rely on only fossil reconstructions and no actual statistical data from living representatives.

scelatalvariation.jpg

http://antidarwinism.com/evolutionisahoax_originofman.html

The link below highlights variations in Metatarsals in Humans

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649659/

The link below gives a series of errors made by evolutionists and anthropologists:

http://harunyahya.com/en/works/8126/the-skulls-that-demolish-darwin/chapter/5109 (this demonstrates that how many times we have been mistaken regarding human ancestors,maybe this sort of science is still infant or plainly just wrong)

Australopithicine being able to walk upright (and hence being a Hominid i.e showing chimp and human features) is entirely based on the curvature of a single fosilised metatarsal bone (4 th metatarsal bone) which cannot be effectively dated radiometrically or even be attributed to australopithicus beyond doubt.So effectively the evolutionists are stating that a single slightly curved fossilised isolated metatarsal bone is the only real evidence to attribute bipedalism to australopithicines.(i don't know about you but to me this sounds ridiculous)

http://researchmatters.asu.edu/stories/lucy-her-own-two-feet-1815

The upper body bones of Australopithicine indicate a semi Arboreal lifestyle very much comparable to Chimps.

I am seriously doubting your skeptical abilities now.Or probably you are selectively skeptical.

OK, you are either delusional or a troll. I am done discussing this matter with you. And darwinismrefuted.com is not a source, it's the internet equivalent of a crazy person on a soap box. Try peer-reviewed papers. Oh, you can't, because there aren't any that support your claim. Oops.
Please highlight the errors in the relevant information provided.(Difference of opinion only does not count,if you have something solid or empirical against the information then it would be preferred)

Please highlight the errors in the relevant information provided.(Difference of opinion only does not count,if you have something solid or empirical against the information then it would be preferred)

It's funny that you ask for empirical evidence and repeatedly ignore all empirical evidence at the same time. We've given you all the evidence in the world, and you have replied with "I don't think so", because you obviously know better than the scientists who, you know, studied these things for decades.

Also, lol at harunyahya.com. Is that the best you can do? The lunatic ramblings of a deranged Islamic fundamentalist? Wow, and I thought you couldn't get any lower.

• Like 1

At your request. First, it would appear that you are working from a limited knowledge of the extent of current forensic/bio-anth research. As a primer to the osteological aspects of this topic, Burns 2007 would be recommended.

The following is an educationally based reference that may illuminate you in regards to some of the structural details that are evaluated (and in what manner they are evaluated). Kindly study.

https://www.nabt.org...ebABTonline.pdf

For a somewhat broader view that incorporates technological research in combination with bio-anth research, the following may be of interest. A bit dated, but essentially sound:

http://volgagermanbr...s/klein2000.pdf

For more intensive detail:

http://www.colorado....horp2003CBP.pdf

Once again, these are but a small minority of the white papers/articles available on the general topic. The key point to bear in mind is that there are quite a multiplicity of studies, conducted from a number of perspectives, that all document evolutionary theory. In the above references, this would refer more specifically to hominid/hominin evolution.

And a question - Would you now be proposing that every paleoanthropological recovery represents a "deformed individual"? Have you actually considered the statistical/survival probability of such?

• Like 1

At best, human ancestory is something like 500,000 years old.

The dinosaurs went extinct MILLIONS of years before that. I think?

Anyway, I think a lot of confusion exists because of the Wooly Mamoths, saber-tooth cats and such that are known to have been killed by early humans. But, those animals were way after the dinosaurs. Cartoons(and b-rated movies) seems to further this illusion.

• Like 1

I think some of those dino dragons maybe still be round. :)

Or as we like to call them ... "chickens".

• Like 1

Around 65 million years, yeah. Little bit of a time difference. Birds are directly related, though. And terror birds were an apt description for some.

Anyway, I think a lot of confusion exists because of the Wooly Mamoths, saber-tooth cats and such that are known to have been killed by early humans. But, those animals were way after the dinosaurs. Cartoons(and b-rated movies) seems to further this illusion.

Don't forget they killed humans to. :D

But yeah, pop media doesn't help much.

• Like 1

At your request. First, it would appear that you are working from a limited knowledge of the extent of current forensic/bio-anth research. As a primer to the osteological aspects of this topic, Burns 2007 would be recommended.

The following is an educationally based reference that may illuminate you in regards to some of the structural details that are evaluated (and in what manner they are evaluated). Kindly study.

https://www.nabt.org...ebABTonline.pdf

For a somewhat broader view that incorporates technological research in combination with bio-anth research, the following may be of interest. A bit dated, but essentially sound:

http://volgagermanbr...s/klein2000.pdf

For more intensive detail:

http://www.colorado....horp2003CBP.pdf

Once again, these are but a small minority of the white papers/articles available on the general topic. The key point to bear in mind is that there are quite a multiplicity of studies, conducted from a number of perspectives, that all document evolutionary theory. In the above references, this would refer more specifically to hominid/hominin evolution.

And a question - Would you now be proposing that every paleoanthropological recovery represents a "deformed individual"? Have you actually considered the statistical/survival probability of such?

What is the probability of not finding a single specimen of the evolutionary human ancestor? Not all paleoanthropological finds are deformed some are seperate extinct chimps etc.

Have read a lot about the general commentaries on so called hominid fossils,but i find them highly speculative and improbable.

It's funny that you ask for empirical evidence and repeatedly ignore all empirical evidence at the same time. We've given you all the evidence in the world, and you have replied with "I don't think so", because you obviously know better than the scientists who, you know, studied these things for decades.

Also, lol at harunyahya.com. Is that the best you can do? The lunatic ramblings of a deranged Islamic fundamentalist? Wow, and I thought you couldn't get any lower.

So are you going to label me a Muslim Fundamentalist now?

No one in their sane mind can question empirical evidence,but the way some storytellers interpret the evidence seems ridiculous.Why not apply Ocams Razor for these hypothesis.

In addition to this i think the fact it is extremely hard for us to even comprehend 65 million years. It tends to get squashed down into something we can manage more easily thus loosing the sense of just how distant we are from dinos.

• Like 1

What is the probability of not finding a single specimen of the evolutionary human ancestor?

given we're discovering new Dinosaurs each year, tonnes of new CURRENTLY EXISTANT species each month, I'd say not finding what would amount to a few million at thr most humanish bones is likely.

• Like 1

It's quite possible, the human species has changed a fair bit since the start of the species, with air quality, sickness, moderation, man made toxins all the way self punishment/mutilation of the body.

If derros can live next to toxic factories there is nothing to say we couldn't breath the air back then imagining it would have been of cleaner quality.

So are you going to label me a Muslim Fundamentalist now?

No. But you are relying on the lunatic ramblings of Muslim fundamentalists as evidence. That doesn't shine a good light on your claims.

No one in their sane mind can question empirical evidence,but the way some storytellers interpret the evidence seems ridiculous.Why not apply Ocams Razor for these hypothesis.

So now scientists are storytellers. Are you the true scientists in their stead, a shining beacon of knowledge without any training or expertise in their field?

• Like 1

What is the probability of not finding a single specimen of the evolutionary human ancestor? Not all paleoanthropological finds are deformed some are seperate extinct chimps etc.

Have read a lot about the general commentaries on so called hominid fossils,but i find them highly speculative and improbable.

Re: Bolded #1 - But that is the point. Numerous representatives of pre-H.s.s. lineages have been recovered and analyzed. Extensively.

Re: Bolded #2 - You have "read a lot about the general commentaries on so called hominid fossils"? In what references? Have you actually studied the technical reports? Do you have any formal training/experience in faunal analysis that would allow you to provide credible interpretation of an osteological recovery? Are you truly aware of all the subtleties of such aspects as bio-mechanics that are involved in such evaluations as locomotive capability/manner?

• Like 1

Do you have any formal training/experience in faunal analysis that would allow you to provide credible interpretation of an osteological recovery?

Just say you need the Viagra, Swede. No need to beat around the bush.

Harte

• Like 3

Harte

Major eruptive laughter! (Following the spontaneous spewing of my Saturday morning tea all over the monitor!). Too good.

Is a blog documenting the details of "the recovery" in order?

Swede

• Like 2

Your deft use of the language was a siren call to the darker aspects of my persona. Unable to eschew a cheap chuckle, I saw perfection and had to rain ridicule down upon it.

If one defers from ridiculing perfection, one makes the tacit statement that one is less than said ideal.

IOW, you seemed to be gettin a mite high-falutin,' even uppity, in yer comment.

No blog necessary, BTW. Well, okay, maybe just some pics.

Harte

• Like 1

Harte

Holy crap, Harte, that one caught me off guard. I'm luckier than Swede in not having been drinking anything, or it might've gotten messy.

However, the laughter I barked out probably woke the neighborhood.

I haven't paid much attention to this thread but I can see similarities to the Ice Age thread, where evolution and science are being ignored because they just don't sound right but a fundamentalist website will set us straight!

*Sigh*

• Like 2

Your deft use of the language was a siren call to the darker aspects of my persona. Unable to eschew a cheap chuckle, I saw perfection and had to rain ridicule down upon it.

If one defers from ridiculing perfection, one makes the tacit statement that one is less than said ideal.

Harte

Couldst thou but witness the effusive mirth emanating from my humble countenance. Your wry wit doth always bring joy to the cockles of my heart.

Out of respect for the sensibilities of the public, pictorial documentation will advisedly be deferred.

We now return to the regularly scheduled dialectic.

Swede

• Like 2

Harte

Cut it out Harte. Swede is a scientist . His "deft use of the language" is to be expected and appreciated , not ridiculed. His linguistic communicative propensities were displayed from birth, upon which when the Dr. announced, " It's a boy! " Swede interjected.... ahem!, infantile male H. sapiens sapiens.

:)

Edited by lightly
  • Like 5