Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

no such thing as astral travel

NocturnalWatcher

you guys know that right?

if it was it would have been proven in the scientific community.

why hasnt anyone been locked in a room, do the astral travel and spoke of what they seen in the room next to them? surely they would have done this at some point.

• Like 1

NocturnalWatcher....I think what you are describing is more like "Remote Viewing" but either way I think you are right n that it has already been debunked over and over.

As far as "Astral Travel" is concerned, the more I read of it the more it sounds simply like vivid dreaming rather than some part of the "mind" going to some far-off place.

Dreams can certainly be convincing; I had a few that, at first, made me think I really had gone someplace but I soon discovered my mind stayed inside my skull.

Maybe there is more to how the mind functions that can be eventually explained through scientific research rather than relying on pseudo-science and woo.

why hasnt anyone been locked in a room, do the astral travel and spoke of what they seen in the room next to them? surely they would have done this at some point.

How do you know that?

Have you tried?

Have you spoken to those who have tried it or succeeded?

I'm trying Astral projection myself at the moment, never consiously done it yet, still, 18th century books on the subject and experiances of others tells me that there must be something to it.. Not that I believe everything I read, I preferr to learn by experience. So please tell me, what is your experience of this?

• Like 2

remote viewing etc should be shockingly simple to prove.

get one person on ome sode of the world to remote view a willing participant on another side of the world.Describe the other person in detail voila. proven.

remote viewing etc should be shockingly simple to prove.

get one person on ome sode of the world to remote view a willing participant on another side of the world.Describe the other person in detail voila. proven.

Exactly.

I just seen a thread where a guy claims to have travelled to the moon and held the universe in his hand or something weird like that, what is wrong with these people?

I tried astral travel like 10 years ago i listened to the mp3 that supposedly induces it, i meditated, nothing ever happened except a few strange feelings in your body. I have an open mind I have experienced lucid dreaming many times during my life but i know astral travel isnt real.

Hmmm, you completely by-passed my question to answer one of your own liking..

sometimes silence says more than words ever could....... :whistle:

Exactly.

I just seen a thread where a guy claims to have travelled to the moon and held the universe in his hand or something weird like that, what is wrong with these people?

I tried astral travel like 10 years ago i listened to the mp3 that supposedly induces it, i meditated, nothing ever happened except a few strange feelings in your body. I have an open mind I have experienced lucid dreaming many times during my life but i know astral travel isnt real.

Why did you start a thread on it if you already have your own conclusion. I mean other than trolling what is the point of your discussion ? If you want to tell the world your answer and why, this may be better off as a blog, not a thread.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy
  • Like 6

Why did you start a thread on it if you already have your own conclusion. I mean other than trolling what is the point of your discussion ? If you want to tell the world your answer and why, this may be better off as a blog, not a thread.

sorry to have offended you but you have to realize and see things from my perspective, these are outrageous claims. I guess it wasn't the best of threads but I couldn't help it, i have to say something. I don't want these people getting false hope about something that in my mind is completely fictional.

sorry to have offended you but you have to realize and see things from my perspective, these are outrageous claims. I guess it wasn't the best of threads but I couldn't help it, i have to say something. I don't want these people getting false hope about something that in my mind is completely fictional.

Something being fictional in your mind is not necessarily fictional in another persons mind. Learning that not everyone thinks the same way or has the same experiences in life is something which you have to respect and know when to leave alone. What you say otherwise isn't going to change a damn thing, I mean why should people listen to you if you lack the experience in the first place, perhaps experiences they already have gained. Mocking their experiences is not big or clever. it just makes you look like a intolerant being which people will gloss over.

It is also not your place or responsibly to 'save' people from whatever you consider fictional. That mindset in itself is not doing you any favours. Focus on developing yourself instead of turning on others.

• Like 4

I have been practicing astral walking/travel for the last two months. I haven't had any luck, but I work a horrible shift 5pm to 5am. I find that I have been getting a better days sleep than I had before I started to practive astral walking. I don't know if it is possible to astral walk or not, but I will continue to try.

• Like 2

Heard a radio program on this topic in the mid '70's,read some literature and tried it. I felt (at the time) that I had done it, and had several spontaneous astral events. The last time, I felt as if I were slipping away permanently and never had another experience. Later I wrote it off as some sort of residual effect of other things I was using to alter reality. But I wouldn't say there isn't something to it. Go ahead and experiment, and good luck.

I have been practicing astral walking/travel for the last two months. I haven't had any luck, but I work a horrible shift 5pm to 5am. I find that I have been getting a better days sleep than I had before I started to practive astral walking. I don't know if it is possible to astral walk or not, but I will continue to try.

:tu:

Been there..

If you have a swing shift, that might be the best time to practice..

Scientists have induced very out of body experience like effects in the brain, in the lab: http://www.nytimes.c...23cnd-body.html

And I have personally had an out of body like experience twice within a few days of each other, both while meditating. The first was looking over and seeing my hand lifted up out of my physical hand as a whiteish-blueish hand, twisted up with the finger pointing up and the hand backwards, in an extremely awkward looking position (I remember being uncomfortable just seeing it pointed that way). The second was feeling my head lift up as if I was sitting up from bed, but when I realized my actual head was still laying down (very hard to explain), my head very quickly dropped back down into my head, creating a very odd sensation, and leaving me wide eyed, thinking "w..t..f..".

So, that's okay if you won't believe those type of things are possible until you experience them yourself, but just giving you my few experiences.

The problem where science is having proving or disproving experiences of the mind, is that they are far from understanding it. Once we figure out how the mind works exactly, and why, then you can say something exists or doesn't because it hasn't been proven. Until then, it's like saying there isn't proof that there is a bottom to a lake, despite others telling you they have seen it themselves, because a scientist hasn't come to test it yet, because he doesn't even know how.

But main thing, remote viewing (basically being allegedly psychic) and astral travelling (or having an out of body experience) are far from the same thing. I'm not sure you've realized this yet.

edit: Well I guess I should read the whole thread before replying, since it seems everyone's pretty much already said what I wrote.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

I have been astral travelling most of my life.

It exists for me.

I feel no need to prove to you or anyone.

You are quite free to your opinion but telling me, I should know it doesn't exist is a bit like telling me the world is flat.

Your opinion means nothing to me nor my experiences to date.

It is sad however, that you can not remember your own travels.

You're missing out.

I feel sorry for you, such a pity.

• Like 2

Sure, the burden of proof rests on those making outrageous claims.

Can we see it as an example of an unverifiable belief system?

Although I believe there is no verifiable evidence of consciousness independent of the body, I recognize the subjective nature of human consciousness allows us to believe what we want, often incorporating belief into gaps of knowledge.

People Merge Supernatural and Scientific Beliefs When Reasoning With the Unknown, Study Shows

Science Daily Link:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120830135317.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fstrange_science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Strange+Science+News%29

Excerpt: 

Legare said the findings contradict the common assumption that supernatural beliefs dissipate with age and knowledge.

"The findings show supernatural explanations for topics of core concern to humans are pervasive across cultures," Legare said. "If anything, in both industrialized and developing countries, supernatural explanations are frequently endorsed more often among adults than younger children."

The results provide evidence that reasoning about supernatural phenomena is a fundamental and enduring aspect of human thinking, Legare said.

"The standard assumption that scientific and religious explanations compete should be re-evaluated in light of substantial psychological evidence," Legare said. "The data, which spans diverse cultural contexts across the lifespan, shows supernatural reasoning is not necessarily replaced with scientific explanations following gains in knowledge, education or technology."

Unless a person is actively seeking a strictly physical explanation, simply providing one isn't necessarily going to gain exceptance. If you want to change minds, don't be abrasive as this is known to have the opposite effect.

Keep in mind: an individuals' deeply personal experience has a way of becoming a self defining moment.

Edited by HDesiato
  • Like 1

I'm not really sure what astral travel is, I shall have to go and read about it now! I'll keep an open mind until then.

Since you have an open mind, I will post some on the subject for you as a mystic. Its very hard to describe in words!

Consider that there is a life force or soul of individual consciousness within your body, this level usually remains in the body and sometimes disconnects during "astral" or near death experiences. Some people are able to consciously develop it & control it.

It's really all about consciousness, there's DNA RNA encoded memories and they are the program of creation and life that is a cellular sort of consciousness. There's a natural life force that only wills bodily survival, a subconscious linking to that and the regular consciousness. Regular consciousness can somehow at times link to even higher levels. The highest Unity of all levels is what mystics refer to as God or Cosmic consciousness.

You can also think of it this way, your body is a physical light bulb, the electric is cosmic life force, and the light produced is consciousness. There are many colors of light depending on the type of bulb some are "astral".

There are many different and lower & higher levels of this experience and the proof to yourself is when you discover something you perceived in this state REALLY happened. It's a very personal and spiritual event that changes your whole perception of life. It's very difficult to even connect to your own subconscious and understand consciously so you can imagine how hard it would be for someone to connect to the higher levels without much experience. Sceptics don't believe it or try to comprehend it, but who cares if they don't?

I will give another parable like explaination why most people can't do it or just reach the level of lucid dreaming which is the beginning of connecting to the subconscious.

These fields of consciousness act are like a worm that develops into a butterfly more or less and the body is a caccoon.

While a worm you crawl and eat of the leaf but after the death like experience in the caccoon you become the butterfly that can walk, fly and eat of the nectar! Not all worms live to become what they were meant to be, They just go from egg to worm because they die before they become a butterfly if you know what I mean. There's a lot of mystical symbolism about death and ressurection in so many cultures that is actually referring to this evolution of the soul that can free of the body even before death.

I think most people who sincerely want to try it make the mistake that they are trying to leave the body when you are really just trying to expand this field of consciousness to encompass a larger area outside of the body.

If you see with your eyes have you really left where you are?

If you are blind does that mean others can not see?

You have to go into the center of your being in order to connect to a larger field of consciousness that unifies these other different levels of consciousness and life force fields.

It is much harder to develop a field that "disconnects" from the center and actually goes out more or less seperately.

I think many who fail to experience the astral level, it's because they are trying to fly before they grow their "wings" then wonder why they can't do it!

You have to go within to the center and connect before you can "project " into the higher levels consciously. Mystics sometimes refer to this as connecting to the "heart" center and taking it to the "third eye".

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 4

It's really all about consciousness

I think most people who sincerely want to try it make the mistake that they are trying to leave the body when you are really just trying to expand this field of consciousness to encompass a larger area outside of the body.

If you see with your eyes have you really left where you are?

If you are blind does that mean others can not see?

You have to go within to the center and connect before you can connect to the higher levels consciously.

:tu: The most pertinent parts, imo.

Sure, the burden of proof rests on those making outrageous claims.

Can we see it as an example of an unverifiable belief system?

Conciousness and it's tiers/multi levels, is not a "belief system" --- belief systems belong to the ego.

To see an example, develop your own consciousness. You are wasting your time if you think others experiences can develop your conciousness. Only raw experience can do that I'm afraid.

• Like 3

Considering the govt trains people to do remote viewing FOR them,I dare say they believe it.

I mean gosh ,the govt tells us everything ,and all of it is true ,so all the people who can actually astrally project,who couldn't care less about govt poopie wipes,now know,its not real .......they're all crying in their mead ,that they can no longer project,because its not really real .

Or the government would have told us .

Lol,lol,lol,lol,and one more lol.

• Like 1

Conciousness and it's tiers/multi levels, is not a "belief system" --- belief systems belong to the ego.

Do you believe that? :)

• Like 1