Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could someone explain something to me?

Wookietim

So, I keep seeing minecraft creep onto more and more platforms. And everyone keeps telling me how great it is... so I downloaded the demo for the XBox because it was free.

I just don't get it... I walk around, move some blocks around and.... well... that seems to be it. I assume that I am missing something really important here - because otherwise it's just "Second life" with worse graphics.

Could someone explain to me what I am missing here? I am asking honestly - so many people are obsessed with it that I assume that the problem must be me...

• Like 1

your not missing anything its a stupid stupid game.........but i still play it for some odd reason >.>

your not missing anything its a stupid stupid game.........but i still play it for some odd reason >.>

So, basically it is just walking around and moving blocks into place? Am I missing a storyline that should be obvious to me or something like that?

I mean... I know lots of people whose opinions I think are usually right who say it is an addictive game. And there is some cuteness to it to be sure... but I just didn't get what I was supposed to do in it.

My stepsons are obsessed with the game, and I don't get it either. Why play virtual legos when they have a huge tub of the real thing available? I don't know. They also insist that it is not a video game.

I don't get it and I don't play it... I guess I prefer my virtual time to include swords or guns.

Halo all the way baby.

• Like 1

Not really sure, I don't really see what makes it so popular.

Well, at least I am not alone. I thought maybe I was just kinda stupid for not getting what was so great about it...

nothing much to it as far as i know just that you can create pretty much anything... like this

lots of entertainment to be had with the game provided you have the insane amout of time neccesary to do some of these things

There are times I feel like a Neanderthal, lol.

When I hear people talking about all these games, I often have no idea what in hell they are talking about.

The only online game I sometimes play, when bored, is this one:

http://4funnygames.c...Scarecrows.html

And then we have chess.

Sorry.

Edited by Abramelin

It's a Survival game. You can craft. Watch some tutorials or something, it's poretty easy to pick up. You have to build a house etc before the zombies etc come and you have find foot etc.

There is a "creative" mode as well as "survival". In creative you can just build etc.

I don't get it and I don't play it... I guess I prefer my virtual time to include swords or guns.

Halo all the way baby.

There is swords etc.

• Like 1

It's a Survival game. You can craft. Watch some tutorials or something, it's poretty easy to pick up. You have to build a house etc before the zombies etc come and you have find foot etc.

There is a "creative" mode as well as "survival". In creative you can just build etc.

There is swords etc.

That shows how little I know about M.C. :D I suppose I should have said I prefer first person shooters.

There are so many things you can do in Minecraft whether you play the normal game or creative mode. It is actually quite a simple concept but no one really thought of it. The simplicity and originality is what makes it great. Just go in, survive from zombies while digging down into mines. Stumble across boobytrapped temples or tame a wild wolf or ocelot.

Create golems to protect your creations, plant a variety of crops from wheat to watermelon. Use mob spawners which spawn zombies and create a trap around it to collect all the loot from the dead. I could go on and on.

A great game.

• Like 1

So, I keep seeing minecraft creep onto more and more platforms. And everyone keeps telling me how great it is... so I downloaded the demo for the XBox because it was free.

I just don't get it... I walk around, move some blocks around and.... well... that seems to be it. I assume that I am missing something really important here - because otherwise it's just "Second life" with worse graphics.

Could someone explain to me what I am missing here? I am asking honestly - so many people are obsessed with it that I assume that the problem must be me...

The aim of the game is to kill the Ender Dragon.

Hint - The dragon doesnt exist in your universe you have to travel to another dimension to find it. Thats going to involve doing something odd with lava and a bucket. You'll want dimond armor and weapons before you go there and dimond is found far below you in the depths of the Earth.

The rest of the game is just about surviving until you get to the Ender Dragon.

• Like 1

Also I highly recommend picking up Terraria when it's on a really cheap deal on steam. It's like a 2d version of MC. It has a very nice old "school" or "Mario" feel about it but in a survival world.

That shows how little I know about M.C. :D I suppose I should have said I prefer first person shooters.

I do normally, but there is something very chilled out and relaxing about games like MC.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

I do normally, but there is something very chilled out and relaxing about games like MC.

I can understand that, usually my chill out games are the racing type, like need for speed.

I can understand that, usually my chill out games are the racing type, like need for speed.

I hate to admit it, but my chill out game tends to be Monopoly on the Wii... Something very satisfying about just pressing a button a few times and coming up with thousands of dollars...

I spent a fair bit of time on MC creation mode , I created a replica Rochester castle - can be very addictive . I also had a huge super mine with powered carts & dozens of shafts .

I still have it on my PC but im back to shanking scumbags on BF3 again :P

TiP

Edited by tipotep

• 3 weeks later...

I just play it to build anything that comes to mind while surviving.

You can also mod it quite a bit which in turn makes it a bit more entertaining.

• 4 months later...

Update:

It has amazing multiplayer servers where you can create factions etc or kill other players.

Swords, Bow and Arrows, Create Anything, Farm, Survive. It is generally a great game!

At first it's a bit boring and takes a while to get started but it does get better.