Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Godzilla Gets Release Date

Simbi Laveau

It was fun! Oh, it had the obligatory bunch of CGI and special effects but all in all it stayed true to the spirit of the old Godzilla movies. I really like Brian Cranston, so yeah, I give it a tumbs up. :tu:

• Like 1

I wanted to go again yesterday, but I had an emergency with a friend.

Maybe tomorrow.

I'm so happy. Simple things make me happy.

Brought my grandson to see it on Sunday......Barriliant ....best monster movie in years. He's 7 and seen it all and he say's it's his favourite movie ever...knocking all the Transformers movies into 2nd place.....Gotta say i agree with him..

I'll be watching it again on box office.

I agree that there seem to no new ideas for monster movies and it's all been done before ....BUT ....if you are going to rehash it well at least do it well.....and they have done this. Much better than the last Godzilla and strangely faithful to the old black and white ones....without giving too much away.

The TV and Radio critics seem to agree that the story is weak.....EH ?....It's Godzilla ffs ,what do you you want , a story or a monster ? I mean what kind of credible story can you have for a 20 story monster.Yet on any reviews i have heard they all say that the Monster is fantastic and he is.....Like all summer blockbusters,leave your brain at the door and enjoy the ride. We found ourselves shouting for him at the cinema and you cant expect more than this from a movie......Bring on Zilla two is what i say

I would say it's a perfect modern interpretation of a classic. Agreed it's at least as good as the transformers movies if not better.

Saw X-Men on Sunday and several times I could hear Godzillas footsteps from the cinema next door :tsu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched this. Can't hide that I like it a lot, especially with the premise that Godzilla is a natural monster rather than a mutation from nukes.

And an idea about the franchise. It's like, Godzilla was supposed to be a big "eff you" to America for the nukes, but America accepts it and says, "oh, it's natural."

It's about time the Big G suited up again.

I hope he takes out the Transformers. Stupid robots.

Oh, and Matthew Broderick. He deserves it for that awful, awful 98 film.

Oh, this was a subject here. Nice. I loved it too. Good premise of Godzilla being a natural creature. Takes away the spirit though of the Japanese premise of a mutated monster. Maybe that's the criticism of Toho. But I agree with the American premise.

i saw it a while ago, and i have been waiting for it since this remake was first announced. But to be honest, i was quite disappointed. Too much heroic soldier stuff for my taste, and a plot like a swiss cheese. the only really good scene is when Godzilla finishes the Muto near the end. (i hope that doesn't count as a spoiler...)

Edit to add: PLUS i am fully aware of the fact that i might be the only person in the world that enjoyed Emmerich's much-bashed attempt to Godzilla more than this one.....

Edited by Jacques Terreur

I went to theater when Godzilla came out for two main reasons, 1- Godzilla and 2- Ken Watanabe. I enjoyed Watanabe's performance but was dissapoonted in the limited scenes with Godzilla. That movie needed more Godzilla! The plot surprisingly bored me, maybe I was expecting more since I've been a fan of Godzilla all the back to my childhood days when the Japanese made these films right. My lady loved it and was surprised by my MEH reaction. It was cool but I won't be watching it again any time soon.

I'm hoping for much better in the sequel.

• Like 1

I agree with the limited exposure of Godzilla. That's Hollywood, I think - overly human-centered, like with Transformers.

Just a quick opinion question... was the original Gojira considered horror? And if so, 2014 Godzilla is no longer horror, isn't it?

I agree with the limited exposure of Godzilla. That's Hollywood, I think - overly human-centered, like with Transformers.

Just a quick opinion question... was the original Gojira considered horror? And if so, 2014 Godzilla is no longer horror, isn't it?

you mean King Kong?

Just as Christopher Walken wanted more cow bell , I want more Godzilla! Make it happen!

• 4 weeks later...

It was interesting having a new direction for Godzilla after so long. I've been following the whole millennium series and all the other entries before it. My favorite being 1985 or Return of Godzilla. I was satisfied with the new one but felt it didn't execute the terror that Godzilla truly represents.

Edited by mystic_chill

It was interesting having a new direction for Godzilla after so long. I've been following the whole millennium series and all the other entries before it. My favorite being 1985 or Return of Godzilla. I was satisfied with the new one but felt it didn't execute the terror that Godzilla truly represents.

I agree. Cloverfield, despite it's obvious faults. did a better job of making the audience fear the creature.

Seriously, what's so hard about making a 200ft giant fire breathing monster terrifying?

• Like 2

Well, I finally saw it and found it - lacking. Sorry to the fans but the actual Godzilla was just unconvincing, it had a "b grade movie" look about it and tbh I found the idea of it and those other creatures feeding on radioactive output just a little lame. The way the whole story played was lacking in the level of "suspense" you would expect from a monster flick and there was not one bit of humour in the whole script, not one.

• Like 2

I agree. Cloverfield, despite it's obvious faults. did a better job of making the audience fear the creature.

Seriously, what's so hard about making a 200ft giant fire breathing monster terrifying?

It's actually very difficult. Especially in Western countries, where Godzilla is most often remembered for being in campy low budget films. The stereotyping that comes with tokusatsu is debilitating in that respect, because it keeps people from taking the monsters and the underlying issues addressed in the original movies seriously.

Edited by UFO_Monster