Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

School seizes rosary beads from student,

Still Waters

A student is questioning whether his faith or his fashion is under fire at his high school in Loveland.

Thompson Valley High School officials have confiscated his rosary beads twice since school started three weeks ago.

And he says they never told him, or his family, why.

“They tell me I can’t wear them,” says Manuel Vigil, showing us an identical rosary to the one seized by his school.

The junior says he wears rosary beads to protect himself from harm.

But his school district thinks the religious necklace will harm students.

http://kdvr.com/2012...to-fight-gangs/

They shouldn't be allowed to do that unless it goes the against school policy about clothing and accessories. Rosary Beads aren't meant to be worn anyway.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by Thomas J

First off..even though I am not a Christian I never heard of Rosary Beads being worn..they can be carried but not worn.

Secondly, how is this string of beads going to harm anyone? A distraction? Not any more distracting thant a kid wearing lots of colors.

It seems like nowdays anything can be considered a "gang" symbol. Some day schools will screech at kids for wearing orange or green because it is supposedly attached to a gang or some such rot.

Why is it assumed that kids really care what others are wearing.this is garbage that the parents instill into the kids, not the other way around.

When I was in school I couldn't give a rats rear what the others were wearing not did I feel the need to be "offended" by someone wearing a cross or whatever.

It's the adults who make the problems..why insist on making it a problem for the kids?

Let him carry his beads and get on with life.

I used to believe that if you wore them, Jesus was protecting you ...

Anyhoo beads... I don't like beads any more because my daughter got boxes of them for her birthday recently from friends...to make her own jewellery...She dropped them over my dinning room floor. *ping ping ping* ...all over the show they went.. and I stood on them ( as you do ) ...grrrr beads..I threatened to vacuum them if she does it again .!!

Schools have gotten so stupid lately. They just take everything to far. Hey, maybe they should make the kids come to school naked that way they won't have any symbols at all. The kid across the street from me is in the 4 th grade and can do high school math. Do they give him high school math to do, no they make him plod along with the rest of the students. I showed him some websites to help him advance at his own rate. I figure if he keeps at it he'll be doing collage math by the end of the year.

• Like 2

They just take everything to far. Hey, maybe they should make the kids come to school naked that way they won't have any symbols at all.

Yup that would be taking it too far indeed lol

• Like 2

I wonder if they let female muslim children cover their head up. If they don't that may be why they won't allow the beads. It may have something to do with not allowing religious symbols. He could of put them inside his shirt.

The district says it gave Vigil options before seizing the beads.

“We’ve given you two opportunities to take it off or to put it inside your shirt. That’s not something you’re interested in doing. You’re not giving us an alternative than to remove it,” Crespo says Vigil was told.

The boy is Catholic so I can understand why he thinks wearing his Rosary beads will protect him. It is, however not appropriate to wear them round the neck but he is only a kid and if they are not on display, I can't see any harm done. When my daughter was attending a Catholic school her friend was told to remove her cross and chain!

Edited by Star of the Sea

When my daughter was attending a Catholic school her friend was told to remove her crucifix!

Vampires tend to do that sometimes lol

• Like 1

I wonder if they let female muslim children cover their head up. If they don't that may be why they won't allow the beads. It may have something to do with not allowing religious symbols. He could of put them inside his shirt.

Hi Hilander,

Just saw your post after replying. In my post I mentioned that my daughter attended a Catholic school and her friend was told to remove her cross and chain but in their class there were two Muslim girls with their headscarves on!

Vampires tend to do that sometimes lol

LOL BM! I actually edited my post before you replied and changed it to cross and chain because it did look strange!!!

• Like 3

The boy is Catholic so I can understand why he thinks wearing his Rosary beads will protect him. It is, however not appropriate to wear them round the neck but he is only a kid and if they are not on display, I can't see any harm done. When my daughter was attending a Catholic school her friend was told to remove her cross and chain!

So all the nuns wearing rosary beads I saw were doing something inappropriate? I can understand that faithful Christians might not like to see them being worn by a "non-believer" as a fashion item, but that is not the case here.

Edit: I also think that there is nothing more graceful as wearing something around your neck. It is certainly nicer than stuffing it in your pocket.

Edited by FLOMBIE

They shouldn't be allowed to do that unless it goes the against school policy about clothing and accessories. Rosary Beads aren't meant to be worn anyway.

Edit: Spelling.

I agree, but if worn they should be under clothing, not out.

People should be able to wear any religious item if they get comfort from it. When I was a christian I wore stuff and would have been very upset if someone told me not to. Society is becoming less accepting by the day.

• Like 3

So all the nuns wearing rosary beads I saw were doing something inappropriate? I can understand that faithful Christians might not like to see them being worn by a "non-believer" as a fashion item, but that is not the case here.

Edit: I also think that there is nothing more graceful as wearing something around your neck. It is certainly nicer than stuffing it in your pocket.

I'm Roman Catholic and I have never seen a Nun wear Rosary beads round their neck. Were they Catholic Nuns? Here is a link regarding Catholic tradition and the Rosary.

http://anunslife.org...ound-your-neck/

Edited by Star of the Sea

you're suppose to stuff em in your pocket or your a gangster

i sorta understand why schools ban you from wearing rosary beads cuz once i saw a gangster wearing buddha or rosary beads (cant tell difference) and a cross shouting on the streets saying "GOD IS A VIRGIN A*HOLES!" so i sorta understand why schools think tat he is a gangster and btw the article sounds exaggerated

you're suppose to stuff em in your pocket or your a gangster

If I wear them around my neck, that doesn't turn me into a gangster.

Something about this story bothers me: So they claimed this boys very own rosary is a gang symbol, because one part of it consists of 13 beads instead of 10? How did they know that before they had confiscated it? Who came up with that idea anyway? If it"s a gang symbol, I am sure the other gang member would flash this as well, or is this boy the only member?

Anyway, I really hope they turn those hideous Ed Hardy shirts into a gang symbol pretty soon.

Children shouldn't be allowed to show any individuality ever. Anything can be a gang sign! Just stick them in burlap sacks, also, gals, no more makeup. Gang signs! Children and their religions and their clothing with signs and words on them scare me. Protect me, protect our children. -sarcasm-

• Like 1

Hey, maybe they should make the kids come to school naked that way they won't have any symbols at all.

Or, like in other countries make them wear uniforms to school.

Also ... if you wear Rosiary Beads, they're to worn around the wrist, not the neck.

There is no hard and fast rule regarding if you can wear the rosary around the neck since it is dependant on culture. Hispanics often wear them this way. They can also be used as fashion statements since there really is no other reason to buy a Dolce and Gabbana rosary. Some will say that is sacrilegious but those type of people would probably find you guilty of some other sin anyway.

The kid's parents should look into getting an education voucher and sending him to a parochial school. Maybe they wouldn't even let him wear it there if they do not respect his culture and want to do things "their way".

Kids really need to stop trying to break rules and stuff even if it is for a legitimate reason. School should not really be the place to express your religion in the first place since we are there to learn. It is not like one would even have time to even begin praying the rosary at school.

I swear people want to whine about anything now days.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit

Also why was the media even contacted. It doesn't even sound as if the parent of this student has even made contact with the school.

In western cuture Rosaries are not typically worn around the neck or even the wrist (chaplets are worn on the wrist generally) However, in Mexico, and I believe the student in this article was Mexican, they are often worn around the neck. If he's really not a gang member and it sounds like he probably isn't, then slipping it inside his shirt shouldn't have been a problem. This might be more of a cultural problem rather than a religious one.

• Like 2