Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

70 earthworms married in Taiwan

Still Waters

Taiwanese activists married 70 "lucky earthworms" have been married off in an elaborate wedding ritual in a bid to raise awareness about the environment and the problem of soil erosion.

http://www.telegraph...save-earth.html

• Like 2

Where will they honeymoon I wonder ....

There's a Brad Pitt movie. From before he was a huge star .It's based on a true story ,about a man who goes to Tibet ,and ends up living with the monks ,and I think he builds them a school,or library ,and there's this scene of them excavating and digging,to build the foundation ,and the monks ffrrreeakkk out,not to kill any earth worms during the digging,as they too,are sentient beings .

They removed all the worms,alive,by hand .

I forget the name of the movie,but it certainly shows us how Tibet is terrorized,and how these people live,and truely believe ,all sentient beings,are equal .

• Like 2

Where will they honeymoon I wonder ....

There's a Brad Pitt movie. From before he was a huge star .It's based on a true story ,about a man who goes to Tibet ,and ends up living with the monks ,and I think he builds them a school,or library ,and there's this scene of them excavating and digging,to build the foundation ,and the monks ffrrreeakkk out,not to kill any earth worms during the digging,as they too,are sentient beings .

They removed all the worms,alive,by hand .

I forget the name of the movie,but it certainly shows us how Tibet is terrorized,and how these people live,and truely believe ,all sentient beings,are equal .

It's called Seven Years in Tibet and I believe they were digging a well when they found the worms.

Life becomes quite complicated when one believes every single object around you have a sentient soul, one would have to hover around and never eat anything to avoid hurting anything.

• Like 2

I was married to a worm once

Yea took the words out of my mouth!!! But that would never happen here cause they are hermaphrodites and legally could not be married in this country.

• Like 2

Did they go fishing for their honeymoon?

• Like 2

If they ever split up.... there'll be hundreds of them. Like when you half them with a spade. Wriggling all over the place but this time with a bitter, sad and cynical wriggle instead of the normal wtf wriggle. (only saying)

Edited by Eldorado

These countres are so dang weird.

I was accused of being slightly racist for saying, at work, that the Far East is an insane land. I stand by it. They are nuts.

Does that mean that all of the others are living in sin?...

Apparently, the overwhelming majority of earthworms are "living in sin"...not to mention all of the other animal life here on Earth.

• Like 1

what a bunch of crap. There must be other ways to bring attention to their cause. Now it is just a butt of jokes.

• Like 2

And people wonder why we are searching for intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. :wacko:

• Like 1

I was accused of being slightly racist for saying, at work, that the Far East is an insane land. I stand by it. They are nuts.

I would hardly call all that occurs here in the western hemisphere, normal...

Meanwhile, on the earthworm topic, talk about having your marriage dragged through the dirt... sorry, couldn't help that one... :P

• Like 3

what a bunch of crap. There must be other ways to bring attention to their cause. Now it is just a butt of jokes.

I think it's as zany as it is kinda cute. You have to admit it's much nicer attention getter than pelting people with flour and paint. :-p
  • Like 3

Awwww...cant remember when i last went to a Worm wedding....wife would probably say it was our own... :P

Did you try to worm your way out of it?

• Like 3

i think this worm wedding is a counterpart to how we have all this system organised charity in the western world

marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

...none if this stuff is logical, it's all about that knee-jerk emotional reaction.. this is how they program us.

this caught my eye

there's this scene of them excavating and digging,to build the foundation ,and the monks ffrrreeakkk out,not to kill any earth worms during the digging,as they too,are sentient beings

it's nice to think people could really be like that, isn't it? ..there is more to it.. there is more to a person than what you see. always.

even though this event is coming from a movie, i can accept what you're saying, i've seen it myself when a big 6+ foot guy was messed up about cutting a worm in half [preparing vegetable gardens]

but there is more to this person than that worm-friendly side.. [to cut it short] this guy was a pedophile.. and there is more to those monks.. i'm not suggesting they've all got skeletons in their closets like this guy had.. but.. maybe you can see what i'm saying here.. there is two sides to a person, there is always a struggle with light and dark. if the monks were so close to the light, trust me, they'd be taking their show on the road, noone lights a candle then hides it away in a dark place, you know what i mean? i'm not dissing their approach to life, i think more people ought to follow their example, i'm just saying these monks recognise that dual nature within themselves, that's why they withdraw from 'society' and go off to ponder the things they do.

the ones who look into the abyss have to be careful they don't become monsters..

a similar thing is happening to the scientist, or cancer researcher, they withdraw from the mass of people and go to study, then work somewhere..

the pulling away from the crowd represents an inner learning for both. it also means less emphasis on mere entertainment [which is where the mass of society is actually at] ...so, 90% of the organism amuses itself while a small % does the actual important work.. it's a very dedicated field, almost monastic in a way.. i suppose what i'm trying to get across is - it's serious

that seriousness conflicts with the way the system operates. can you imagine what would happen if everyone in the world suddenly started to think seriously about their lot in life!?!?! the whole house of cards would come tumbling down. this is why all this 'serious' stuff (environment, cancer research) is sold off to us in silly ways. i say again, marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

i hope this made sense

While it all sounds very weird to us, it's a normal custom for them.

"I now pronounce you husband -earthworm and wife- earthworm"........"you may kiss the bride"...... :unsure2:

• Like 2

i think this worm wedding is a counterpart to how we have all this system organised charity in the western world

marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

...none if this stuff is logical, it's all about that knee-jerk emotional reaction.. this is how they program us.

this caught my eye

it's nice to think people could really be like that, isn't it? ..there is more to it.. there is more to a person than what you see. always.

even though this event is coming from a movie, i can accept what you're saying, i've seen it myself when a big 6+ foot guy was messed up about cutting a worm in half [preparing vegetable gardens]

but there is more to this person than that worm-friendly side.. [to cut it short] this guy was a pedophile.. and there is more to those monks.. i'm not suggesting they've all got skeletons in their closets like this guy had.. but.. maybe you can see what i'm saying here.. there is two sides to a person, there is always a struggle with light and dark. if the monks were so close to the light, trust me, they'd be taking their show on the road, noone lights a candle then hides it away in a dark place, you know what i mean? i'm not dissing their approach to life, i think more people ought to follow their example, i'm just saying these monks recognise that dual nature within themselves, that's why they withdraw from 'society' and go off to ponder the things they do.

the ones who look into the abyss have to be careful they don't become monsters..

a similar thing is happening to the scientist, or cancer researcher, they withdraw from the mass of people and go to study, then work somewhere..

the pulling away from the crowd represents an inner learning for both. it also means less emphasis on mere entertainment [which is where the mass of society is actually at] ...so, 90% of the organism amuses itself while a small % does the actual important work.. it's a very dedicated field, almost monastic in a way.. i suppose what i'm trying to get across is - it's serious

that seriousness conflicts with the way the system operates. can you imagine what would happen if everyone in the world suddenly started to think seriously about their lot in life!?!?! the whole house of cards would come tumbling down. this is why all this 'serious' stuff (environment, cancer research) is sold off to us in silly ways. i say again, marry a worm to fight cancer week, step on a worm to fight cancer week, world's biggest worm breakfast, wear a worm to work day..

i hope this made sense

That was way deep. There's a pun in there somewhere, but really deep.