Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question For Experienced Investigators

nowsheflies

Hey everyone, a few friends of mine are starting up a paranormal investigation group (I know, just what the world needs more of these peeps, but there's not a lot to do around here in the way of entertainment) and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a question: There is a place that I've wanted to get into for years that is supposed to be beyond haunted. (I'm an urban explorer and wanted to get in for that reason but I've always been curious about the "ghosts" there too.) The owner is notorious for keeping people out as there is asbestos in the building so investigating this place would be like the Holy Grail for me.

So my question is has there ever been a place your group has been dying to get into but can't because of an owner? Is there anyway to persuade an owner to let you investigate when he's turned all others down?

I feel I should make clear that I in NO WAY want or intend to give investigators a bad name because of badgering property owners or improper behavior. Obviously no means no and I would accept that and wouldn't press the issue, I just want to know if there's a winning argument out there that others have used to get inside a building.

Thanks!

I would say, although I am not a paranormal investigator, that a large sum of money might persuade him.

And I have a haunted something/somewhere that a large sum of money would persuade me to let you investigate.

Well, you'd have to loan me the money first! Basically being poor is not good in this game I guess? There are just a lot of buildings I want to get into just because I'm a photography geek; I'm not expecting to find many ghosts. Actually, I think the people in the group may be bit more serious than I am. I'm interested in the entertainment aspect rather than "proving" anything.

Well, you'd have to loan me the money first! Basically being poor is not good in this game I guess? There are just a lot of buildings I want to get into just because I'm a photography geek; I'm not expecting to find many ghosts. Actually, I think the people in the group may be bit more serious than I am. I'm interested in the entertainment aspect rather than "proving" anything.

I'm as broke as can be.

I like your quote about the West Memphis 3 tho. Not to derail. :tu:

Hey everyone, a few friends of mine are starting up a paranormal investigation group (I know, just what the world needs more of these peeps, but there's not a lot to do around here in the way of entertainment) and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a question: There is a place that I've wanted to get into for years that is supposed to be beyond haunted. (I'm an urban explorer and wanted to get in for that reason but I've always been curious about the "ghosts" there too.) The owner is notorious for keeping people out as there is asbestos in the building so investigating this place would be like the Holy Grail for me.

So my question is has there ever been a place your group has been dying to get into but can't because of an owner? Is there anyway to persuade an owner to let you investigate when he's turned all others down?

I feel I should make clear that I in NO WAY want or intend to give investigators a bad name because of badgering property owners or improper behavior. Obviously no means no and I would accept that and wouldn't press the issue, I just want to know if there's a winning argument out there that others have used to get inside a building.

Thanks!

Well, the world actually *does* need more investigators. You are curious about a phenomenon that is as yet unexplained and you may be the one to add that last piece to the puzzle, so go for it!

I don't think that there is any way to persuade someone who doesn't want to let you in to do it. If they don't want to then making a pest of yourself isn't going to make them change their mind... So just leave the possibility open, maybe get to know them on a friend level and they might trust you enough to come in - and even if they don't then you might make a new friend anyway, so it's not a loss. Beyond that I don't think that there is any other way...

• Like 1

I used to be part of a group of investigators (until they decided they wanted to be "stars" and try an get on tv - haven't happened yet, but I felt that some people were willing to let our credibility and purpose go down the drain if they could get famous, so decided to leave "untainted").

I can say that we had a few places that we really wanted to investigate, but couldn't gain access to.

One place was later visited by GHI (ghost hunters International) and it was pretty obviouse that the owners let them in because they could get some PR and possibly attract more tourists, so having something to "bargain" with might help - but I can also say that we've never paid our way in anywhere while I was part of the group.

Another place was an abandoned orphanage that was considered haunted and like your building it was in a terrible state, parts of it were in danger of collapsing - the company owning the land and buildings wouldn't let anyone in because it was too dangerous and frankly that's understandable, what if something did happen and they had let someone in? Every paranormal group in the small kingdom of Denmark have probably tried to gain access to the place so I imagine they are getting kind of fed up with it and last I heard there was talk of demolishing the place.

A third reason why you might/might not gain access is your professionalism and credibility. We had a few places that did let us in, who had previously turned down other groups, why? mainly because we focused on being professional, to leave everything as we found it, not disrespect their rules or wishes etc. That's back when credibility was important in the group - we all knew that in a field mainly made up of pseudo-science, faking just one piece of evidence or misbehaviour could ruin the group and any chance of gaining access to some of the places we wanted.

We made sure or homepage and stuff was very "see through" posting pictures and sound pieces with the main purpose of letting people judge for themselves whether or not it was paranormal - doing lots of private homes and outdoor areas (abandoned graveyards, battle sites, castle ruins etc.) before ever gaining access to some of the "cooler" places.

We finally gained entry to a smallish castle - once we could show that we had been to one castle (and that they linked to our site and only had good to say about our behaviour) more places started to let us in who wouldn't have let us in otherwise.

So basically you have to start somewhere - go to public areas, friends, families and gain some experience, once you can show that you aren't just a couple of tv-star wannabes it might be easier to gain access to different locations.

So don't keep bothering him - a no is a no at this point.

Don't act out or misbehave in places.

and don't fake stuff because that s*** will stick to your name and people will always have doubts in the future. So simply not worth it if you have in real interest in the field.

And be prepared for long, boring nights where nothing happens at all - because that's the reality of most investigations, it's certainly not like on the tv :P

That's probably the best advice I can give.