Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Advanced ET civilisations may be undetectable

Still Waters

"Intelligent species might reasonably worry about the possible dangers of self-advertisement and hence incline towards discretion” -- the “Undetectability Conjecture,” put forth by Beatriz Gato-Rivera, a theoretical physicist at the Instituto de Fisica Fundamental of the CSIC in Madrid.

According to Gato-Rivera, we may find ourselves in a universe in which there exist intelligent technological civilizations but they have chosen to be undetectable, camouflaging themselves mainly for security reasons.

http://www.dailygala...detectable.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StarMountainKid

• DONTEATUS

• Still Waters

• TSS

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure any highly advanced (mentally) intelligent life in the universe would need to camouflage itself against us. Humans are easily manipulated, we act in accordance with how others act, the power of suggestion from one person (or person to a group) is strong.

I would think (or speculate) that any highly intelligent life would understand this.

Sky Scanner has hit upon something ! THe mentally intelligent Aliens will just be that Very,Very Intelligent and indeed will most likely mask there existence .

THey will have been there done that so to Say ! This just may be why we have had a few sightings of the thousands of years or so. THey came THey Saw ,They Got the heck outta Dodge !

So its up to us to get with the program and search them out !

If we get Blasted in the attempt then its just goes to show you .Life`s a B#$%H !

THe Good news is NASA is working on the Warp Drive.

maybe we can do this after all?

Test question for the more awake: WHats a" WJWFI " its a tricky one ! :tu:

ITs sorta like WTFWIT

Good article. We don't know the answer to the Fermi Paradox yet, but I would be cautious about contacting an alien civilization until we were sure it was peaceful. I would think that any species that had evolved intelligence would necessarily be predators. We talk about highly-advanced civilizations as if they would naturally evolve beyond the predator mind-set. I don't think this is a correct assumption. Our human advancements in technology has not curbed our nastiness. Weapons technology is probably the most advanced technology we have developed.

There was another thread about aliens not broadcasting their whereabouts in fear of being discovered by other predatory alien civilizations. This may be a general trend in our galaxy.

I think Sky Scanner is right. Perhaps relatively primitive civilizations such as ours are gobbled up as soon as they venture out there. Maybe only the most hardened, fierce species survive. Survive by laying low and subjugate any unwary, innocent guys who happen by, like a spider sitting quietly in its web.

Any decently kind species of alien would leave us alone. If we found aliens existed and they introduced themself nicely humans would have a fit. Humans can barely handle ourselves. An entire new intelligence species? Maybe in a thousand years.

Our world simply can't handle the pressure.

Edited by Kazoo

People are always keen to impute, if that's the word, human motivations to extraterrestrial cultures, aren't they. It may be for purposes of camouflage, I suppose, but it may just be that their communications and broadcast media, etc, aren't detectable by us because we can only, or we can only thinking of looking, in the electromagnetic spectrum, and that may be so old fashioned that nobody uses it any more.