Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I keep seeing orbs

CoolTeenNC

Orbs are retroreflections from a light source and a lens at the same point of origin. The advent of the digital camera (especially considering automatic built-in flashes) has caused the epidemic of orb sightings.

When I was five years old I started seeing floaters on my ceiling for the first time, which I called "cells". It took about a year for my family to figure out what in the world I was talking about. I actually believed for months that I had a special talent nobody else did. Now that I've had Lasik, I see "halos" but I don't feel any holier about it. ;)

• Like 1

I don't feel any holier than anyone, let alone thou, but I've been out in the jungle at night and watched balls of light in different sizes, move around, from the ground level up to the tree tops.(With my eyes, not a camera.) They're considered a natural phenomena in the island culture I was a part of; the indigenous people were just surprised that a non-native like me could see them. Here, tell someone you've seen an orb and people go into overdrive trying to invalidate the experience. It's the difference between two cultures, I guess, and having lived there 6 years, I have a foot in both places. If you want a paradigm shift, try crossing cultures.

I don't feel any holier than anyone, let alone thou, but I've been out in the jungle at night and watched balls of light in different sizes, move around, from the ground level up to the tree tops.(With my eyes, not a camera.) They're considered a natural phenomena in the island culture I was a part of; the indigenous people were just surprised that a non-native like me could see them. Here, tell someone you've seen an orb and people go into overdrive trying to invalidate the experience. It's the difference between two cultures, I guess, and having lived there 6 years, I have a foot in both places. If you want a paradigm shift, try crossing cultures.

So this is a frequent phenomena? Is there some reason why you wouldn't like to try to see if there is an explanation?

I am politely asking that before I start making some suggestions on how you could go about doing that.. :D

I note you used the words:

people go into overdrive trying to invalidate the experience

Invalidate it??? In what way did they do that? Were they rude or insensitive? (If so why would you entertain their opinions?) Or would just asking questions about it and/or trying to investigate it, in some way invalidate it? I'm intrigued as to the mechanism by which that happens.

Wouldn't it be in your interest (and the readers) if the known phenomena, like out-of-focus lit up dust particles (that applies to both camera and eye by the way), fireflies, sparks from a fire, etc were discussed and perhaps ruled out, and that some evidence of it be collected and presented?

Just FTR, I've spent significant periods living with indigenous folk of similar cultures and beliefs... more about that later as necessary - let's just say you might be surprised as to what direction I am coming from..

• Like 1

Great, another rude weirdo...

Don't worry about these 'orbs' you are apparently seeing (most likely eye floaters or dusty eyes), worry about your attitude, and fix it.

• Like 1

Over the last 30+ years I have sporadically seen what I have perceived to be small self-illuminated balls of light (deliberately avoiding referring to orbs...), invariably either red or blue in color, and between 1cm to 5cm in size. I have seen these while conducting night photography research during which I have been capturing the mundane particulates orbs illuminated by the camera. However, in contrast to the camera-illuminated particulate orbs which are obviously visible to the eye during the time of camera exposure/flash, not once have I been able to capture one of these apparently self-illuminated balls of light on camera - either film or digital media. As a researcher that raises a significant alarm, as it does make me question whether these balls of light actually exist in front of my eyes at all, or whether they are some sort of artefact like phosphenes, or indeed some defect in either the eye or the optic nerve.

So this is a frequent phenomena? Is there some reason why you wouldn't like to try to see if there is an explanation?

I am politely asking that before I start making some suggestions on how you could go about doing that.. :D

I note you used the words:

Invalidate it??? In what way did they do that? Were they rude or insensitive? (If so why would you entertain their opinions?) Or would just asking questions about it and/or trying to investigate it, in some way invalidate it? I'm intrigued as to the mechanism by which that happens.

Wouldn't it be in your interest (and the readers) if the known phenomena, like out-of-focus lit up dust particles (that applies to both camera and eye by the way), fireflies, sparks from a fire, etc were discussed and perhaps ruled out, and that some evidence of it be collected and presented?

Just FTR, I've spent significant periods living with indigenous folk of similar cultures and beliefs... more about that later as necessary - let's just say you might be surprised as to what direction I am coming from..

After 15 years of thinking about it, researching, exploring all possible explanations, I've concluded that the orbs are not cryptids, like fireflies, nothing like that has been identified as part of the jungle flora or fauna. Could they be some sort of chemical bioluminescence? I would think that if that were the case an island biologist would have identified them as such, the same if it was some sort of luminous gas. It's pitch black out in the jungle at night, so I don't think the orbs are light refraction, and they're generally seen in groups, anywhere from a dozen to two dozen or more. I have friends in Hawaii who see orbs as well, without the use of a camera, so what ever they are, they aren't geographically isolated. And I have a niece in Wisconsin who sees them all the time, both day & night. My family has seen them in our house, as well, both moving & stationary, both during the day and at night, so if it's light refraction, is it likely that we would all see the same thing and its movement from different places in the room, say, moving from left to right about 4 feet off the floor? All of the observations I refer to were seen with the naked eye, not a camera.

I don't think I ever claimed to know what the orbs were/are, just that they exist, thousands of people see/have seen them. I'm not going to ignore what I've seen with my own eyes, but I'm not claiming I know what they are either. If someone has a likely theory that takes into account the differences in geographic locations & levels of light, etc., I'd love to hear it.

• Like 1

Ok so I am 18 and keep seeing orbs. I only see them at where I am most comfortable which is at home. A psychic told a relative of mine a healer was in my family that lived long ago if that helps. I dont really like psychics because I feel when they exploit their abilities they contact demons through rituals but nvm that for now. My abilities started in high school where there are stories of a handful of deaths there due to it being really old. I personally dont believe in ghost only Angels and demons. I started seeing shadows at home and school but very rarely and they felt slightly imposing upon me, even a fully white figure in the schools black box BUT all of these sightings were not very clear to me and may have been paranoia. My biggest experiences happen when I am closest to God. That being said I pray the orbs I am about to explain are from God, yet I will Never, regardless of what they are, try contacting them because I feel thats is how people start speaking with demons accidentally. Ok so I am a very innocent guy for my age. I have my flaws where I am not so innocent but typically have always had a childish innocence in me I plan on always keeping in me. Ok so I started being fully obedient to God and thats when big blue orbs appeard in my room. There was on as huge as my head floating around. They would generally appeare small, grow bigger then dissapear. They were so plentiful I was kind of shocked but always comfortable and never left because of them, and I loved being home alone still. My mom, who has dreams of "dead relatives", took me to an eye doctor who could not explain why I could see an orb in the corner of my eye, then move to look at it before it dissapeared. Apparently my moms dreams of dead people are from God and my orb seeing is from the devil... My mom, grandma, and great grandma (now dead ) all have these dreams, which never add up, sometimes reveal past truths, even once all shared the same dream.I was only in one of here gbost dreams once and that was also the only time a man in all white appeared in her dream too. I believe these "relatives" are deceiving demons, but she wont listen. Ok so back to me. I stopped being so religious after that and wanted to be more "normal" so the orbs completely stopped. I got more religious again so they came back. This this time amongst all the blue I saw one orange orb that turned red then one that was black and seemed super dense. I became less religious and they dissapeared yet I swear I saw a snow Angel like figure quickly in the sky on a cloudless day while walking my dog. I was reading a story in my room one night about a guy visited by a "friendly ghost" frequently and whenever the ghost would appear, electronics would come on and off. I went down stairs to tell my dog stop barking pretty paranoid saying I hope nothing comes on, yet as soon as I passed my new flat buttonless television it came on. I did what I had to do then quickly went upstairs. When I started praying hard to God again when I was home alone and crying the lights flickered on and off, I thought myself I wanted it to happen again too make sure I wasn't blinking. It happened again. I slipped in my fait again, always stayed christian but just not so faithful to God. Recently I started praying again and see specks of blue light, rarely some red but I pray harder when this happens. I caught two on camera but only one while recording. Last week I saw for the first time ever like a thick lightning bolt with a figgure as tall as a doorknob to the ground, for a split sec. Whats going on? Thanks in advance. Im TheLeaders101 on Youtube where I sing and the speck appeared as I see them under Michael Jackson Smile Cover 2 at around 45 seconds. Maybe its because I asked God to make me special when I was young, I have this maybe stupid dream of saving the world one day, I believe in the NWO lol,Ok TTYL : )

It could be high blood pressure.

Ok so I am 18 and keep seeing orbs. I only see them at where I am most comfortable which is at home. A psychic told a relative of mine a healer was in my family that lived long ago if that helps. I dont really like psychics because I feel when they exploit their abilities they contact demons through rituals but nvm that for now. My abilities started in high school where there are stories of a handful of deaths there due to it being really old. I personally dont believe in ghost only Angels and demons. I started seeing shadows at home and school but very rarely and they felt slightly imposing upon me, even a fully white figure in the schools black box BUT all of these sightings were not very clear to me and may have been paranoia. My biggest experiences happen when I am closest to God. That being said I pray the orbs I am about to explain are from God, yet I will Never, regardless of what they are, try contacting them because I feel thats is how people start speaking with demons accidentally. Ok so I am a very innocent guy for my age. I have my flaws where I am not so innocent but typically have always had a childish innocence in me I plan on always keeping in me. Ok so I started being fully obedient to God and thats when big blue orbs appeard in my room. There was on as huge as my head floating around. They would generally appeare small, grow bigger then dissapear. They were so plentiful I was kind of shocked but always comfortable and never left because of them, and I loved being home alone still. My mom, who has dreams of "dead relatives", took me to an eye doctor who could not explain why I could see an orb in the corner of my eye, then move to look at it before it dissapeared. Apparently my moms dreams of dead people are from God and my orb seeing is from the devil... My mom, grandma, and great grandma (now dead ) all have these dreams, which never add up, sometimes reveal past truths, even once all shared the same dream.I was only in one of here gbost dreams once and that was also the only time a man in all white appeared in her dream too. I believe these "relatives" are deceiving demons, but she wont listen. Ok so back to me. I stopped being so religious after that and wanted to be more "normal" so the orbs completely stopped. I got more religious again so they came back. This this time amongst all the blue I saw one orange orb that turned red then one that was black and seemed super dense. I became less religious and they dissapeared yet I swear I saw a snow Angel like figure quickly in the sky on a cloudless day while walking my dog. I was reading a story in my room one night about a guy visited by a "friendly ghost" frequently and whenever the ghost would appear, electronics would come on and off. I went down stairs to tell my dog stop barking pretty paranoid saying I hope nothing comes on, yet as soon as I passed my new flat buttonless television it came on. I did what I had to do then quickly went upstairs. When I started praying hard to God again when I was home alone and crying the lights flickered on and off, I thought myself I wanted it to happen again too make sure I wasn't blinking. It happened again. I slipped in my fait again, always stayed christian but just not so faithful to God. Recently I started praying again and see specks of blue light, rarely some red but I pray harder when this happens. I caught two on camera but only one while recording. Last week I saw for the first time ever like a thick lightning bolt with a figgure as tall as a doorknob to the ground, for a split sec. Whats going on? Thanks in advance. Im TheLeaders101 on Youtube where I sing and the speck appeared as I see them under Michael Jackson Smile Cover 2 at around 45 seconds. Maybe its because I asked God to make me special when I was young, I have this maybe stupid dream of saving the world one day, I believe in the NWO lol,Ok TTYL : )

Lots of people have different opions of Orbs.On camera they are usually dust/insects..I see Orbs with the naked eye and have seen a few that have a round spikey thing that seem to materialize and then disapper.I see them in all different colors,..red,blue,yellow,pink....It's just a matter of what you believe them to be.I believe they are energy balls of some sort.Maybe gaurdian angels or spirits.Just to be sure that it's not an eye condition,you might want to get your eyes checked .At least if an eye condtion is ruled out and you still see them with the naked eye,then you will know it's not just your eyes :)

CoolTeen..what is it that you want us to help you understand in the first place? It seems to me that you already have decided that you have all the answers you think you want so apparently you just want us to nod our heads and agree with you, is this about right?

Also..I'd watch that "totally obedient to god" thing because there have been many people who have committed horrible things because they claimed "god" told them too. Your god gave humans a brain for a reason.

• Like 2