Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Curiosity Targets Unusual Rock

Waspie_Dwarf

Lol

Finally a correct answer ! Cha-Ching ! THe Wenner is ! Manchester !

Edited by DONTEATUS

there is nothing unusual about the rock (visually that is) other than that there are no others in the area. i have far more interesting and unusual rocks in my collection.

Are there any geologist in the forum who could explain how a rock might achieve this shape naturally? I realize we are dealing with an alien planet with some alien geologicical forces, but assuming what occurs naturally on Earth occurs on Mars too. How would nature create a Pyrimid shaped rock? I feel I will get blasted because there are so many variables, but it does makes me wonder.

this shape is not so unusual. perhaps unusual for mars, but not especially strange by earth standards

i have far more interesting and unusual rocks in my collection.

How many of yours are from the surface of Mars? The fact that this is an alien rock would, I suspect, trump anything you have in your collection in terms of "interesting".

• Like 2

How many of yours are from the surface of Mars? The fact that this is an alien rock would, I suspect, trump anything you have in your collection in terms of "interesting".

i think it's a given that this particular rock is from mars...that is not what they are intimating is what makes it unusual obviously.

if you notice my post was referring to it's visual attributes anyway sigh

and for all i know i could have a rock from mars or somewhere else in our galaxy. i have a lot of rocks lol

Edited by JGirl

i think it's a given that this particular rock is from mars...that is not what they are intimating is what makes it unusual obviously.

if you notice my post was referring to it's visual attributes anyway sigh

and for all i know i could have a rock from mars or somewhere else in our galaxy. i have a lot of rocks lol

You may not have noticed but Rhinopolis (the member who you replied to and quoted) was asking the opinion of geologists. Now I could be wrong but I highly suspect that someone that says this of the rocks in their own collection:

for all i know i could have a rock from mars or somewhere else in our galaxy.

is probably not a geologist.

I could also be wrong here, but I highly suspect that NASA is not categorising which rocks are interesting but how nice they will look on their shelf at home. I think it rather more likely that they ARE using the knowledge of highly qualified and highly experienced geologists to determine which rocks are an interesting shape.

Given the nature of both the question asked by Rhinopolis and the scientific importance of the potential discoveries to be made on Mars, your personal opinion of which rocks are interesting based on your personal aesthetic bias couldn't possibly be more irrelevant.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

It's a shame to see so many jaded responses. I for one, remain in awe of the fact that Curiousity is beaming pictures from the surface of Mars.

And such beautiful ones too. (of course, nothing compared to your own most bodacious beauty) Many things that were the stuff of science fiction when I was a small young person have since become science fact and this is part of it. I find it interesting that people who came up on Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Star Trek et al are creating these marvelous machines. It will be interesting to see what today's children will create ... if I live long enough.

I'm curious about this rock. The left side is darker than the lighter facing side - is the darker area due to oxidation? Has the rock broken off of a larger piece and exposed the lighter face? Why is the darker left side marked with horizontal 'runnels', while the lighter face is marked with vertical features that rather resemble a melted residue. I hope they post the spectra from this one!

You may not have noticed but Rhinopolis (the member who you replied to and quoted) was asking the opinion of geologists. Now I could be wrong but I highly suspect that someone that says this of the rocks in their own collection:

is probably not a geologist.

I could also be wrong here, but I highly suspect that NASA is not categorising which rocks are interesting but how nice they will look on their shelf at home. I think it rather more likely that they ARE using the knowledge of highly qualified and highly experienced geologists to determine which rocks are an interesting shape.

Given the nature of both the question asked by Rhinopolis and the scientific importance of the potential discoveries to be made on Mars, your personal opinion of which rocks are interesting based on your personal aesthetic bias couldn't possibly be more irrelevant.

what's your problem anyway? i think you could lighten up a few shades there

i made a post with my opinion that i didn't find the rock all that VISUALLY unusual. (the part about the origin of my rocks was obviously a joke)

mypost in question was directed and someone other than yourself - you have no issue with me so again i ask, what's your problem?

edit to add:

hmm,

after re reading the article i realize nowhere in it does it say that nasa finds the rock particularly 'unusual'. you added that to the title yourself and that must be why you don't like that i disagree.

yes it's unusual because it's from another planet. we all get that. i don't need to be a geologist to see with my own eyes that there is nothing remarkable about it's appearance.

Edited by JGirl

Did Mars once have intelligent life living on it? And if so, are there any artificial structures still remaining on the Red Planet that proves this? Amazingly, some images that are coming back from the Curiousity Rover are pointing in that direction. Recent pictures are showing what appears to be a pyramid shaped building in the distance that might be partially buried in sand.

Read more and see the pics: http://nutshellurl.com/CuriosityAnomaly

Shadows and light make for lovely combinations don't they. Pyramid? I would have to see it a whole lot closer and from different angles first.

Looks fake, the same shadow behind the Pyramid is in two different shots however both at the same angle.

How did you determine it was artificial let alone a pyramid? I've seen more convincing natural hills.

I love how on the one hand the US government censor everything within an inch of it's life when it comes to aliens, and on the other hand we get accidental discovery of alien pyramids on something that itslef is admittedly by NASA edited before release to the public.

Lets leave all the CT stuff on earth please. NASA is doing a great job ! :tu:

Liked, unliked and liked again so I could double like it. *sigh* ... I am not a real friend of CTists. About the only thing I see them as being good for is target practice.

If you are not in awe, visit this panorama. Click on the full-screen button, then click and drag (small movements - it sorta works backwards..)

Mars Panorama, Day 2

If that doesn't give you an eerie/awe-struck feeling about what it would be like to be up there, I don't know what will..

The landscape is actually beautiful yet surreal.

The amazing thing about it is, the quality of the images we are receiving from Curiosity. Never would I have thought that technology would be this advanced for my generation to witness something like this.

Liked, unliked and liked again so I could double like it. *sigh* ... I am not a real friend of CTists. About the only thing I see them as being good for is target practice.

You me and the fence post Kludge ! But one thing is an absolute ! NASA and the Mars missions should be kept going until we Put men on the surface ! Then we can Hitch a ride from E.T`s

You me and the fence post Kludge ! But one thing is an absolute ! NASA and the Mars missions should be kept going until we Put men on the surface ! Then we can Hitch a ride from E.T`s

No argument there but not just Mars. It's important and we do need to go there in person but I believe we should be pushing out. We are, as a species, intensely curious which is why Curiosity is such a cool machine. It helps us scratch that curiosity somewhat with the information and fantastic photos it's (or, from a video about Curiosity tweeting, "she is") sending back. Now she's found a rock that has gotten the folks at JPL interested. What will she find next?

THe Sky`s the Limit ! and Curiosity will find amazing things on Mars. I will bet we find everything we need to assertain that Life does exist Out there ! :tu:

Water underground will be really nice to find !

• Like 1

why nasa didnt show the other faces of the rock? if they are irregular, so, all the mistery will dissapear, but if not, it will be a good news for all. The people of the planet earth, we need to raise our view, to be pushed to exit of this crisis.

so, why Nasa likes to keep the doubt about the rock?

A fast analysis of the image, it shows that its base is a square, so, only a crystal can be fused as a faceted rock, and by the pictures it seems to be a common rock.