Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bullfighting declared legal in France

Still Waters

France's Constitutional Council, a top legal authority, has rejected a plea from animal rights campaigners to ban bullfighting.

The campaigners wanted the fights categorised as cruelty to animals.

But the judges said the "traditional" fights, held in areas of southern France, "do not harm people's protected constitutional rights".

More than 1,000 bulls are killed annually in French bullfights, the AFP news agency reports.

Although bullfighting originated in neighbouring Spain, it took root in France a century and a half ago. Fights - known as corridas in Spain - are especially popular in the Nimes and Arles areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-19673414

And yet they b**** about the seal hunt.

nothing wrong with the seal hunt. its renewable and one of the few sustainable industries in the far northern reaches, with little environmental impact :tu:

that being said, if you complain about on and not the other you are a hypocrite! :no:

For a short while things looked good; bullfighting in Spain was gradually being banned, with only a small area standing defiant. And now this. Coming on top of another news bulletin this week declaring that bullfighting was about to start up in China(you remember the Chinese? They're the ones who still think it's okay to skin animals alive) ...... some Spanish guy shipping Spanish bulls to China and then he's going to show them how to do it. Ye gods! if it gets a hold in China it'll never come to an end. This is one of those days when I really don't think I belong here. The sheer volume of cruelty in the world just overwhelms me.

• Like 4

And yet they b**** about the seal hunt.

Don't forget it was the French Government who blew up the Greenpeace boat, 'Rainbow Warrior', killing at least one person.

• Like 1

I just don't see the appeal of watching an animal being cruely tormented before it's killed. That's entertainment? If I ever went to one I'd be cheering for the bull. Probably get my ass kicked.

• Like 3

I will never understand that anyone can gain pleasure from hurting another living being. It's stories like this that makes me ashamed to be human. I don't think I belong to the human race. I feel such anger and hatred towards those killing for no particular reason than to satisfy their own sick lust for killing.

• Like 3

Oh for ***** sake when will humanity finally get out of the medieval era.

I remember when I went to Spain when I was about 8 or something and I was bought a bull toy/ornament thing with yellow and red pipe cleaners sticking out the back of it's neck/shoulder area... I said to my Mum and step dad, "do they really have these colourful ribbons when they are in the ring?" Well my mum played a long not wanting to upset me and I was begging to see a bullfight cause I loved all animals and I loved culture... After Extremely bugging my parents for the whole first week of the holiday and throwing numerous tantrums my mum finally told me why we couldn't go... She told me how the bull is killed and it's not nice etc.. A couple of days later I seen a poster of bullfighting and realised that the "colourful ribbons" where spears or swords that they stuck into the bull to make it bleed to death....... Not exactly the nice innocent thought I was having.

I've hated Bullfighting since that moment and I sure as hell pulled those "ribbons" out of my toy bulls back. I was disgusted by it.

This photo says it all:

bullfighter.jpg

Torrero Alvaro Munera's last Bullfight.

”And suddenly, I looked at the bull. He had this innocence that all animals have in their eyes, and he looked at me with this pleading. It was like a cry for justice, deep down inside of me. I describe it as being like a prayer – because if one confesses, it is hoped, that one is forgiven. I felt like the worst **** on earth.”

Torrero Alvaro Munera

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 4

For a short while things looked good; bullfighting in Spain was gradually being banned, with only a small area standing defiant. And now this. Coming on top of another news bulletin this week declaring that bullfighting was about to start up in China(you remember the Chinese? They're the ones who still think it's okay to skin animals alive) ...... some Spanish guy shipping Spanish bulls to China and then he's going to show them how to do it. Ye gods! if it gets a hold in China it'll never come to an end. This is one of those days when I really don't think I belong here. The sheer volume of cruelty in the world just overwhelms me.

I'm with you 100% OuijaX2.

I have a lot of respect for the French republic but this is a shameful practice and this 'official recognition' is a stain of shame on a great nation.

Just as it is a stain on Spain and Mexico.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 1

I don't get why they need to kill the bull. Go out, play dodge with the bull for a while with the cape, then get out of the area and take the bull away to rest for the next show.

Awesome.

• Like 2

Every matador that steps into the bullring chances what happened to the one in that video. It is a sick blood sport.

Who wants to see a bull made sport of as it slowly bleeds to death from multiple wounds?

• Like 1

why do they kill it? wat do they use the body for?

The body is possibly used for animal consumption(dog/cat food), although maybe Spain's regulations allow for it to be used for human consumption.

Every matador that steps into the bullring chances what happened to the one in that video. It is a sick blood sport.

Who wants to see a bull made sport of as it slowly bleeds to death from multiple wounds?

Apparently enough people do to keep it going. Plus, I think there are areas where the locals cling to it because it's 'tradition', they've always done it and they don't like being told by the 'authorities' from the cities that it is no longer considered a civilised thing to do.

I imagine there are a lot of thoughtless holidaymakers who go along because it's part of the holiday experience, get a terrible shock once they see it up close, but unfortunately don't follow through and do something to bring the barbarism to an end.

The body is possibly used for animal consumption(dog/cat food), although maybe Spain's regulations allow for it to be used for human consumption.

Apparently enough people do to keep it going. Plus, I think there are areas where the locals cling to it because it's 'tradition', they've always done it and they don't like being told by the 'authorities' from the cities that it is no longer considered a civilised thing to do.

I imagine there are a lot of thoughtless holidaymakers who go along because it's part of the holiday experience, get a terrible shock once they see it up close, but unfortunately don't follow through and do something to bring the barbarism to an end.

I've heard that the Spanish bullfights get a lot of foreign tourists (especially English) at them.

Shameful.

I've heard that the Spanish bullfights get a lot of foreign tourists (especially English) at them.

Shameful.

Sadly, many people seem as if they have to have something right in their face before they understand it is a really bad thing ...... applies to war too.