Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Using a Ouija board

Bling

Have you ever used a Ouija board? If so what were your experiences? Would you recommend using a Ouija board to try to communicate with the spirit world or is it a definate 'no no'? Can any harm or good come from a novice experimenting with a Ouija board?

I have had no problems using a Ouija board at all....the spirits you contact sometimes say silly things like die etc and tell you a whole load of drivel sometimes. It's only a piece of card or board with letters on it as far as I am concerned,just an aid to communicating with spirits.

As long as you treat it and the spirits with respect, open and close them correctly, you should be fine....although I will not use one on my own or in my house, I use it when with other investigators just in case ;-)

• Like 1

We did once get a spirit who tried to scare us by saying it was legion.....we just laughed it off, the site we investigated was pretty good tho, Nenthead Mines in Cumbria....well worth a visit on a ghost hunt, just very dangerous!!! people have died previously by falling down mine shafts :-(

So Bling, have you had your Ouija board session yet?? What were the results?? ;)

No we haven't, we keep forgetting! We're dumb like that. It's sitting on the shelf just waiting to be used.....right that's it....I'm gonna do it this week. :devil:

Well I'm sorry that as a relatively new member I wanted to ask my own questions about this subject and not just rake up old threads. Just because something has been discussed in the past does not mean it can never be discussed again!

but it's the same questions with the same answers. The only difference is the avatars and members names.

It's a loop, there's no new data to change any thing unless some one haves an over active imagination who likes to look important by making fictious claims.

Back in the eightys i had a girlfriend who made her own board carved all the letters and some simple words into a piece of plywood and used a lid from a pickle jar with a hole punched in the center funny thing we played around with that one and it would move, but when i got a real one we could not get it to move. no demons no answers no floating in our sleep because of using it/them, my mother on the other hand didn't even need to touch it, just hold her empty hand over it and it moved all over the board ( this was the real one not the home made one) and the day she scared herself with it and burned it It Did Sound Like A Scream ( I heard it) to me.. but there again no demons or any of the other stuff.

Edited by mysticwerewolf

No we haven't, we keep forgetting! We're dumb like that. It's sitting on the shelf just waiting to be used.....right that's it....I'm gonna do it this week. :devil:

Yaaaaay :clap:

I truly believe it depends on if you have the ability to use the board, we all have talents or sometimes curses, some people can sing or draw or others can work with the spirit world. The board is working with a very low level of energy though.

I agree with this.

I honestly don't believe all the stories that the board is evil and you could conjure demons with it etc.

To me it's no different than when paranormal investigators/ghost hunters go to allegedly haunted places and ask for spirits to communicate - it's the same questions, the same motives (curiosity as to what lies beyond death and whether or not spirits do exist) it's just different media.

It just seems that looking for EVP in a pseudo scientific way (I'm not saying the field isn't trying to be scientific, but I've done my fair share of work with paranormal groups and at least some of them are distinctly unscientific) is perceived as less dangerous than some mystical "game" with a board and conjuring up all kinds of spirits.

BUT if your the slightest bit worried that something will happen, then why take the chance? If spirits aren't real then most likely nothing will happen or maybe you'll end up being very paranoid because you believe they are real.

If they do exist you either have a nice chat with a couple of them or end up leaving a door open for anything or anyone to walk through. Not really worth it if you just want to have some fun, so unless you are very into trying to communicate with the dead you might want to reconsider.

When people ask me if it's okay to use the board and whether or not it's dangerous I generally tell them not to play with it, the same goes for ghost hunting, EVP sessions etc. Why? Because they mainly end up freaking themselves out and really freaked out people tend to make bad and potentially hazardous decisions for themselves - such as running in an abandoned building with holes in the floors or believing that the board "told" them they were going to die so they simply resign themselves to that "fate".

I'd say that the general rule of thumb when it comes to the paranormal (as with most stuff) is "if in doubt, don't!"

Good advice there!

Thanks and welcome to UM! I'm not scared about summoning anything evil as I don't believe those things exist, but I am interested in others views and experiences of using a Ouija board. I'm not easliy spooked so I think I'll be okay.

You seem to be saying that if something did contact you, it could only be good or neutral ....... why don't you include bad/evil in the mix?

Years ago when I was about 12-13 a friend and I made a board and had a go at summoning someone/anyone..

It was very freaky because it worked basically strait away. My finger was on the glass, so was his, and we ended up calling his dead father who conveyed things that I didn't know, and only my friend could make sense of..

Things got very emotional after that. My friend got very upset and accused me of moving the glass and spelling out the words. And when I say upset, I mean very upset. The thing is, I know it wasnt me moving the glass. I know he wouldn't do it either to purposely get himself in such an emotional state..

It took me more than half an hour to calm him down and get him back to the board to close the session..

I havn't touched anything like that since..

If you do have any sucess.. Just remember, that invitations for visitors to come into your home are fine, but when done, you must tell them to leave... Dont leave doors open.

I have used a homemade ouija 'board' many years ago(just letters on pieces of paper spread out in a circle). My experience was not dis-similiar to professor T.'s. One friend got very frightened and ran off, but the other one and I continued on and off for over a year. The main 'spirit' we contacted claimed to be a Martian.

It's a toy that use a well know motor effect. It doesn't call demons, ghosts, or Irish people. It cannot "invite evil" into your home and NOTHING bad will come from using one. (Unless you're already mentally unbalanced enough to be susceptible to such flimflammery.)

I challenge any one of you that disagrees with this (and there will be many) to prove otherwise. Go contact Houdini or Einstein. Go summon up a demon or ghost. (Something Sakari's thread has shown us is quite impossible to do.) Have fun being disappointed.

I feel like i am in a time loop.

Always same topic, Always same questions, always same debate.

I just wondered if either of you had tried to use a ouija board?

but it's the same questions with the same answers. The only difference is the avatars and members names.

It's a loop, there's no new data to change any thing unless some one haves an over active imagination who likes to look important by making fictious claims.

A fresh thread automatically brings fresh experiences to the table. I, for one, enjoy reading old threads but if I want to discuss something, I want to discuss it with members who are active at UM here, now. I think it's intriguing that you totally dismiss the experiences so many people have had with ouija boards.

Personally, I think the use of a circle of pieces of paper with the letters of the alphabet(plus 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe')on, with an upturned glass in the centre(on a very smooth surface), gives a more satisfying result because it is obvious right away if someone pushes the glass or, if the 'spirit' snatches the glass from under the fingers and moves it on it's own.

To simply dismiss every situation with the reply " ideomotor effect" is very lazy ........ especially as you weren't there!

• Like 2

I just wondered if either of you had tried to use a ouija board?

Yup. Nothing strange has ever happened.

I that's because I don't believe, though, right?

Yup. Nothing strange has ever happened.

I that's because I don't believe, though, right?

Or just not sensitive/psychic?

Or just not sensitive/psychic?

That is presupposing that sensitive/psychic people exist. Something that people have tried to do for years but have not been able to.

I must admit that i didn't know anything about the ideometer effect till I read this thread a few weeks ago.. I did find it very interesting, but like you say ouiji, it doesn't really explain the phenomena..I don't really know if belief or being sensitive or psychic has anything to do with it either. To me, it just happened, and the reality of the matter was, well, just a reality... The same kind of thing happened when I first intentionally used Tarot to gleam a bit of the future.. There was nothing mystical about it, it just happened that the accuracy of what I saw was 100% spot on.

I wonder though, if trying to scientifically label and dismantle these kind of phenomena to understand them destroys them in the process. kind of like having deja-vu.. I used to get deja-vu a lot, untill I understood that it was caused by a mis-fire in the brain that made physical reality seem like a memory, as a result, I havn't had it since, and that peez me off.

• Like 1

Everyone who is sensitive/psychic knows that they are ...... it's a shame for those that aren't, that sensitivity can't be produced in a laboratory situation, possibly because of the pressure to produce a result, negative vibes? Who knows? Doesn't alter the fact that it exists.

I believe I'm sensitive to the spirit world, due to some past experiences, just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I don't believe other things exist....so if I'm honest I'm a little bit apprehensive. After witnessing poltergeist activity I am convinced there are entities with which we can communicate....I just hope I meet nice ones! When I think about it, whether I believe in devils and demons or not, there are good and bad people alive - so surely they will ultimately become good or bad ghosts?

I'm starting to agree that a home made ouija board may be better, I could make one up on my dining table easily, probably better than the little one I bought.

Also, does anyone here have any opinions as to whether my animals should be put into a seperate room during the ouija session?

Thanks for all your input....I'm excited yet still have a respectful fear for those things I know little about.

Doesn't alter the fact that it exists.

Individual claims do not prove that it is real. If you have to add all these things to explain Ouija boards, then it's probably bull.

• Like 1

Individual claims do not prove that it is real. If you have to add all these things to explain Ouija boards, then it's probably bull.

Just as your individual claim does not prove it's unreal!

What do you mean by 'all these things'?

Also, does anyone here have any opinions as to whether my animals should be put into a seperate room during the ouija session?

Probably best to leave animals out of the room .... at the very least they could be distracting. Also, if one of you does get scared, there's no need for the animals to see that ....... it's unnecessary.

• Like 1

Just as your individual claim does not prove it's unreal!

I'm not the one making the claim. I don't have to prove anything.

What do you mean by 'all these things'?

The more things that one has to add to make their explanation make sense, i.e. you have to be sensitive, you have to be psychic, you have to believe, the less likely it is that the explanation is correct.

The simplest solution is generally the most correct. In this case, ouija boards don't do anything.

• Like 1

I'm not the one making the claim. I don't have to prove anything.

The more things that one has to add to make their explanation make sense, i.e. you have to be sensitive, you have to be psychic, you have to believe, the less likely it is that the explanation is correct.

The simplest solution is generally the most correct. In this case, ouija boards don't do anything.

I don't remember asking you to prove anything, I'm simply saying that your experience up to this point causes you to not believe that anything happens when a ouija board is used ........ my experience causes me to believe differently.

Well, I know that you don't have to believe for the board to work. As for the sensitive/psychic aspect, they're pretty much the same thing. So 'all these things' are in fact one thing. Actually, I've just re-read your second paragraph and what you say just isn't true.

I'm just curious as to why you are so adamant that 'ouija boards don't do anything', just because you haven't experienced it. Wouldn't it be more logical to simply say 'this is something I have no experience of'? Maybe even add 'I find it hard to believe'. But as things stand you are closing your mind to an interesting debate. If you honestly aren't interested in that, then why bother to post in this thread? Why post simply to say ' this is nonsense ....... although I have no way of proving it is!'.

Does it not occur to you that one reason why threads keep being made about the subject is because there is something in it? Throughout the threads already made, people say 'I have been there when the planchette/glass moved!'. Of course some people are lying, some people are fooling themselves, but many are genuine ...... there's no sensationalism or drama in their account, they're simply relating something they witnessed.

• Like 2

I don't remember asking you to prove anything, I'm simply saying that your experience up to this point causes you to not believe that anything happens when a ouija board is used ........ my experience causes me to believe differently.

Well, I know that you don't have to believe for the board to work. As for the sensitive/psychic aspect, they're pretty much the same thing. So 'all these things' are in fact one thing. Actually, I've just re-read your second paragraph and what you say just isn't true.

I'm just curious as to why you are so adamant that 'ouija boards don't do anything', just because you haven't experienced it. Wouldn't it be more logical to simply say 'this is something I have no experience of'? Maybe even add 'I find it hard to believe'. But as things stand you are closing your mind to an interesting debate. If you honestly aren't interested in that, then why bother to post in this thread? Why post simply to say ' this is nonsense ....... although I have no way of proving it is!'.

Does it not occur to you that one reason why threads keep being made about the subject is because there is something in it? Throughout the threads already made, people say 'I have been there when the planchette/glass moved!'. Of course some people are lying, some people are fooling themselves, but many are genuine ...... there's no sensationalism or drama in their account, they're simply relating something they witnessed.

I was under the impression that is was an open forum and that I could post whatever I wanted, regardless of what I believe or disbelieve.

People keep making threads about ancient aliens, demons and psychic powers. Doesn't mean any of them are real.

It obvious that it's nonsense. Go film some ouija board activity. Let's see it happen.

I was under the impression that is was an open forum and that I could post whatever I wanted, regardless of what I believe or disbelieve.

People keep making threads about ancient aliens, demons and psychic powers. Doesn't mean any of them are real.

It obvious that it's nonsense. Go film some ouija board activity. Let's see it happen.

No one suggested you couldn't post here, I'm just wondering why you do.

Your second line: it also doesn't mean that they're not real!

It may be 'obvious that it's nonsense' to you, but to those who've experienced it, it isn't nonsense.

Apart from the fact that I have nothing to film with, my ouija board days were over decades ago! Psychic phenomena is notoriously difficult to reproduce 'at will' in contrived situations. The very nature of it means that it seems to require absolutely no interferrence for it to manifest itself ....... psychic events tend to come to the sensitive person unbidden; any demand or expectation to 'perform' doesn't seem to work. Whatever is producing the phenomena doesn't seem to feel a need to prove itself, it is simply there for some, not for others. (I'm going to bed now; it's after midnight here).

• Like 1

I hate the question, "if you don't believe why do you post?". I started as a believer a LONG time ago and have since became skeptical.

I used a ouija board when I was a believer and got results. I am not a sensitive.

I think the idea that you have to 'believe' to experience is also ridiculous.

I have seen numerous 'ghost' programs where the non believers were converted to believers by their experience.

Now to say if their experience was truly paranormal or not that's a different story.

I used a ouija board when I was a believer and got results. I am not a sensitive.

Now to say if their experience was truly paranormal or not that's a different story.

Did you ever post your experience?