Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Using a Ouija board

Bling

Yes I've heard bad things - it can summon demons etc, and I've also heard it's a load of nonsense.

We shall see what the experts say....

I don't know of any claims that the ouija board can 'summon up demons' as in 'we saw a demon standing in the room. He was as solid as we are'. The ouija board facillitates communication with 'spirits', not manifestation of them.

No, children's toys don't really appeal to me any more.

http://en.wikipedia....deomotor_effect

Quoting the article you've given a link to: 'The validity of these experiments has not been proven'.

my mother on the other hand didn't even need to touch it, just hold her empty hand over it and it moved all over the board ( this was the real one not the home made one)

This is very interesting ...... I'm amazed no one has commented on it :w00t: ....... no ideomotor effect working there ......

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

I hate the question, "if you don't believe why do you post?". .

I think the idea that you have to 'believe' to experience is also ridiculous.

I hope that that first sentence is not directed at me, because that is not what I said. What I said was: if someone is not interested in a debate about this, if someone is not interested in discussing the opposite view to theirs, what is the point of posting here? If they just keep repeating 'nothing happens with ouija boards; ouija boards are nonsense', and completely disregarding the experiences others have had (unbelievable!) ....... well, honestly ....... I just wondered why someone would do that. What they are saying, in essence is 'my experience is the only one that is valid'.

Only one person in this entire thread has said that you probably have to 'believe' for it to work(and that wasn't me!).

I hope that that first sentence is not directed at me, because that is not what I said. What I said was: if someone is not interested in a debate about this, if someone is not interested in discussing the opposite view to theirs, what is the point of posting here? If they just keep repeating 'nothing happens with ouija boards; ouija boards are nonsense', and completely disregarding the experiences others have had (unbelievable!) ....... well, honestly ....... I just wondered why someone would do that. What they are saying, in essence is 'my experience is the only one that is valid'.

Only one person in this entire thread has said that you probably have to 'believe' for it to work(and that wasn't me!).

Not said in this thread. It's said all the time though. Not directed at you, but honestly 'believers' (and I hate labeling because I'd love to believe again) do the same thing. They have a rational explanation put forward to them when they are asking for a solution to something that happened but then they just keep saying 'it couldn't have been that' for inane reasons such as:

we have no neighbors

all our wiring is brand new

we don't have animals in our neighborhood

etc.

Then they get angry and ask why skeptics post here at all.

That is the only point I was trying to make. That's really why I didn't quote you. I enjoy your posts and wasn't accusing you of the above. :tu: Just frustrated from what I've explained here.

• Like 1

For those in the know, can I just ask....I'm thinking of setting up a homemade ouija board on our dining table. Using the alphabet written on pieces of paper taped around the edge of the table, also with the words Goodbye, Yes and No. Then instead of a wooden planchette, use an upturned glass, and have a candle lit nearby. The pets will be in another room and we will be sober!

I've read on a site someone gave me here that at the start you should say something like "With the power of the elements, spirit guides, angels and higher self, I and the users of this board are protected from all negative spirits, entities, energies and influences". But what if I don't believe in some of these things? What would be the atheist version??!!

I'm an atheist and I would feel happy using that. No god is mentioned. You could either write your own 'statement of protection', or use the one you mention with the thought that the spirits would get the general gist of it and know who was welcome and who wasn't!

• Like 1

It obvious that it's nonsense. Go film some ouija board activity. Let's see it happen.

In my experience, video evidence is discredited by skeptics. It's too easy to edit the film with special effects. The only sure cure for a skeptic is for them to experience it for themselves... and even then in some cases they write it off as some sort of neurosis.

• Like 1

For those in the know, can I just ask....I'm thinking of setting up a homemade ouija board on our dining table. Using the alphabet written on pieces of paper taped around the edge of the table, also with the words Goodbye, Yes and No. Then instead of a wooden planchette, use an upturned glass, and have a candle lit nearby. The pets will be in another room and we will be sober!

I've read on a site someone gave me here that at the start you should say something like "With the power of the elements, spirit guides, angels and higher self, I and the users of this board are protected from all negative spirits, entities, energies and influences". But what if I don't believe in some of these things? What would be the atheist version??!!

Things like this make me nervous for you Bling. If one of your friends has experience with the spirit world I recommend them running the show and calling upon their spirit guide for protection. That's what they're there for. ;)

I don't know of any claims that the ouija board can 'summon up demons' as in 'we saw a demon standing in the room. He was as solid as we are'. The ouija board facillitates communication with 'spirits', not manifestation of them.

what about zozo the ouija demon. ive read heaps of stories about the demon, and in a few it shows itself. theres even a website about the entity. Edited by serial slasher
  • Like 1

I responded to the wrong poster so I deleted this post. See next post for what I meant to say.

Edited by OrdinaryClay

Not said in this thread. It's said all the time though. Not directed at you, but honestly 'believers' (and I hate labeling because I'd love to believe again) do the same thing. They have a rational explanation put forward to them when they are asking for a solution to something that happened but then they just keep saying 'it couldn't have been that' for inane reasons such as:

we have no neighbors

all our wiring is brand new

we don't have animals in our neighborhood

etc.

Then they get angry and ask why skeptics post here at all.

That is the only point I was trying to make. That's really why I didn't quote you. I enjoy your posts and wasn't accusing you of the above. :tu: Just frustrated from what I've explained here.

The skeptic also engages in many self deceptions. The most favored with the spirit board is the idea that the ideomotor effect can explain what we see in all cases. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that the ideomotor effect can result in extended coherent sub conscious communication among multiple participants. It is pseudo science to believe so. The most plausible possibilities at the moment are 1) the participants are lying or 2) there is a supernatural phenomenon occurring.

I believe the explanations are a combination of both. I also believe it is an abomination to God to engage in any divination whatsoever and it is foolish to participate.

Supernatural events are by their nature fading. A person experiences them, and because they are not repeatable on demand, we play games in our minds and redefine what happened so our belief fades. The ideomotor myth is used by many to justify this fade.

The skeptic also engages in many self deceptions. The most favored with the spirit board is the idea that the ideomotor effect can explain what we see in all cases. There is absolutely no scientific evidence that the ideomotor effect can result in extended coherent sub conscious communication among multiple participants. It is pseudo science to believe so. The most plausible possibilities at the moment are 1) the participants are lying or 2) there is a supernatural phenomenon occurring.

I believe the explanations are a combination of both. I also believe it is an abomination to God to engage in any divination whatsoever and it is foolish to participate.

Supernatural events are by their nature fading. A person experiences them, and because they are not repeatable on demand, we play games in our minds and redefine what happened so our belief fades. The ideomotor myth is used by many to justify this fade.

Well I don't believe it's a myth, but good for you.

Things like this make me nervous for you Bling. If one of your friends has experience with the spirit world I recommend them running the show and calling upon their spirit guide for protection. That's what they're there for. ;)

Why nervous? I'm only doing the seance with my fiance because I trust him not to fake things.

Why nervous? I'm only doing the seance with my fiance because I trust him not to fake things.

This is good :) .

Something else I thought of, it's possible it might not work with just two of you. It's rare(maybe unheard of), for a person to be able to do it on their own ........ which is odd, because if there was any truth in the 'ideomotor effect' then it would surely work best of all with just one person? :rolleyes:

Well I don't believe it's a myth, but good for you.

I understand, but there is no evidence the ideomotor can do what the skeptics claim. It's simply an alternative explanation that has large assumptions attached to it.

• Like 1

That is good, but if the glass starts moving you may find yourselves questioning each other.. and saying "Did you do that?" and if the information being recieved becomes thought or emotionally provoking things can get messy. Don't allow that to happen..

I've only used the Oujia once, and like I said before, I havn't touched it again.. What I have done though, is read up about the subject over the years.. and the most common threads of information I've found is that on rare occasions improper use can invite spirits into your home, so be sure to dispell them and close that door when done, otherwise you may find paranormal activity occuring.

Edited to add: It can be fun and very informative though. lol.. I'm not saying dont do it.. just saying that there's precautions that should be taken.. kind of like when you answer a phone call, one day it might be a long lost friend you haven heard of for ages, another day it might be a telemarketer, or scammer.. Grrrrrr

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

That is good, but if the glass starts moving you may find yourselves questioning each other.. and saying "Did you do that?" and if the information being recieved becomes thought or emotionally provoking things can get messy. Don't allow that to happen..

I've only used the Oujia once, and like I said before, I havn't touched it again.. What I have done though, is read up about the subject over the years.. and the most common threads of information I've found is that on rare occasions improper use can invite spirits into your home, so be sure to dispell them and close that door when done, otherwise you may find paranormal activity occuring.

Edited to add: It can be fun and very informative though. lol.. I'm not saying dont do it.. just saying that there's precautions that should be taken.. kind of like when you answer a phone call, one day it might be a long lost friend you haven heard of for ages, another day it might be a telemarketer, or scammer.. Grrrrrr

We trust each other implicitly and know that neither would fake things. We have both experienced something paranormal and are very open minded.

I have been sensitive to the spirit world for most of my life, so I believe.....so I am aware I might have a bad experience. This is what makes me continue to hesitate.....this thread explains it if anyone is interested:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=233485

Sometimes I think 'oh heck just do it'! and then another weird thing will happen in my life that seems 'ghostly' and I think maybe I shouldn't open a can of worms if I'm sensitive to it. Basically I have respect for these things so that's why I'm enjoying this thread, thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.

• Like 1

This is good :) .

Something else I thought of, it's possible it might not work with just two of you. It's rare(maybe unheard of), for a person to be able to do it on their own ........ which is odd, because if there was any truth in the 'ideomotor effect' then it would surely work best of all with just one person? :rolleyes:

well it actually does work with one person. it's like muscle memory. my sister had it work for her when we were younger. just mo.

I don't think I'd do it on my own as it's an experience I'd want to share with someone, to prove it's authenticity or otherwise. If I do it I will video the session.

• Like 1

well it actually does work with one person. it's like muscle memory. my sister had it work for her when we were younger. just mo.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but muscle memory does not produce coherent conversations. It takes a conscious mind to do that.

That's interesting. I couldn't do it on my own and neither could the other person I usually sat with. Someone further back in this thread also said they couldn't, although successful with others.

Can you explain what you mean by 'muscle memory' please?

We trust each other implicitly and know that neither would fake things. We have both experienced something paranormal and are very open minded.

I have been sensitive to the spirit world for most of my life, so I believe.....so I am aware I might have a bad experience. This is what makes me continue to hesitate.....this thread explains it if anyone is interested:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=233485

Sometimes I think 'oh heck just do it'! and then another weird thing will happen in my life that seems 'ghostly' and I think maybe I shouldn't open a can of worms if I'm sensitive to it. Basically I have respect for these things so that's why I'm enjoying this thread, thanks everyone for your opinions and advice.

Wow. I had a look at the link..

You've sure lived in a few haunted houses.. I'd change my realestate agent if I were you. lol..

seriously though, I think you are a sensitive, perhaps because of so many events in your life.

I think if I were you and wanted to take a stab at communicating through the Ouija, I'd try to contact this boy called Mark. As a young spirit who already knows you, he'd probably answer your call strait up, unless he's already moved on or whatever it is they do. But don't be surpised if he doesn't answer, and someone else starts conveying info to your parter and not you.. That's what surpised me when I did it, the info didn't make sence to me, it was all memories of someone elses life, nicknames, events that meant nothing to me..

• Like 1