Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Newfound planet may support alien life

Saru

Astronomers have identified an extrasolar planet that is a top contender in the hunt for alien life.

The Planetary Habitability Laboratory (PHL) at the University of Puerto Rico at Arecibo keeps a catalog of the alien worlds it considers good candidates to host life. The newly discovered Gliese 163c ranks fifth on the list.

arrow3.gifRead more...

given that, apparently, NASA can't prove there's life here on Earth, I'll wait for the aliens to find us I think.

• Like 1

Unless they perfect warp drive technology or some other exotic mode of propulsion or teleportation, what's the point? 50 light years is too far away anyway...

lol but capt ive given her all shes got there just isn't any more less i get out an push!... Are we there yet?....I gota pee!...Honey are you lost?...Are we there yet?...Babe your lost arn't you see i told you to pull over and ask that nice alien at mars....(man rolling eyes) Yeah dad you should have stoped and asked besided that alien was qute...Are we there yet? ((all at once))..NOOOOOOOOO!! (song on space raido) we'r starrrr traking across the univerce only going forwards cause we cant find reverceeeee

• Like 1

lol but capt ive given her all shes got there just isn't any more less i get out an push!... Are we there yet?....I gota pee!...Honey are you lost?...Are we there yet?...Babe your lost arn't you see i told you to pull over and ask that nice alien at mars....(man rolling eyes) Yeah dad you should have stoped and asked besided that alien was qute...Are we there yet? ((all at once))..NOOOOOOOOO!! (song on space raido) we'r starrrr traking across the univerce only going forwards cause we cant find reverceeeee

Got one for ya....

Come on... come on... come on, let's go spacetruckin'!!

• Like 1

Another planet that "may" support life. How many is that now? 856? Give it a rest.

• Like 1

Gliese? Where have I heard thta before? Is this old news? Or is this where a signel came form or something?

Another planet that "may" support life. How many is that now? 856? Give it a rest.

Yeah we herar this every month, it's boring. Just tell us when we actually find life. lol

Haha jeez guys the title clearly says "may" support life, if you're not interested in reading what they are presenting to you then why did you read it? Haha the de-evolving, ego-centric, instant satisfaction, "the world revolves around ME" human speaks.

spacetruckers was a ok movie with dennis hopper cheesy but it had its moments like ice pirates and spacehunter..oh the late 80's early 90's scifi movies...oh sorry lost in a hazy blis of space adventures okay where was i? oh yeah earth bound misfit yeah sign me up for space trucking no dot laws in outerspace i reckon it'd be the last place an outlaw trucker could fk off the log book and blast the scale house to get'r' done

People, we have a section for discussing movies, and this isn't it. Can we please get back to something that at least approximates being on topic.

Thank you.

Astronomers have identified an extrasolar planet that is a top contender in the hunt for alien life.

Ok, so if it's in the Goldilocks zone, it may harbor life.

How exactly would we then determine if it does in fact, harbor life...what type or if it's intelligent?

What then would be our next step? Send a probe? Just catalog it and move on to the next?

I guess these will be answered in due course. Significant progress has already been made, in that not long ago, it was only a theory that other stars may have planets!

If you think about it, that really is leaps and bounds of developments in a short time.

Ok, so if it's in the Goldilocks zone, it may harbor life.

How exactly would we then determine if it does in fact, harbor life...what type or if it's intelligent?

Yes, and one thing is for certain. Given our past history and current state-of-affairs, intelligent life on earth is pretty much negated.

We must look for it elsewhere, or deep within ourselves.

What then would be our next step? Send a probe? Just catalog it and move on to the next?

Sending a probe is out of the question for the foreseeable future, unless you want to wait tens of thousands of years for the results.

Analysis of the atmospheric composition of the planet could give indication of life, that capability will be available soon.

Determining whether there is intelligent life or not is a tricky matter, after all many people consider dolphins intelligent but they are unlikely to become a technological species. If a species has developed technology on a planet (and is at a level we are capable of understanding) then radio communications would be a give away, and also (once again) atmospheric composition.

• 3 weeks later...

If we do determine that there is life of some sort on this planet,what happens next ?

It's not altogether clear that a technological species would necessarily alter the atmosphere of its planet sufficiently for us to detect their presence in this way. If atmospheric signs of life in general were found at an extra-solar planet, there would probably be an all-out effort to detect any signs of radio transmissions from it. The SETI Institute is doing this merely on the strength of planets being detected around a given star, without any knowledge, yet, about life being present.

If we do determine that there is life of some sort on this planet,what happens next ?

We nuke'em! :lol:

Well, it's "only" 50 light years away, it could be one of the first targets for the 100 Year Starship Project

that's what i'd like to know.

that's what i'd like to know.

They will probably go into Secret Squirrel mode and tell no one in case we panic.

Some people would claim that we never found anything out and there is no real proof... Some would claim the government faked the info for some nefarious reason.. some would start dancing around claiming 'the aliens' are our spiritual saviours and we should be 'more like them' -even though we have no idea what they are like... some would claim they are our spiritual enemies and we must protect agains them... some would insist that we spend trillions to contact them... some would insist that we do our utmost to hide from them... Religious people would debate all sides of the spectrum as to what it means... Non-religious people would debate all sides of the spectrum as to what it means... Some people would riot (stealing lots of TVs)... Some would stay calm...

And all of them would find their way on to UM.... :whistle:

In the end everything would settle down and life would go on without much permanent change...

Edited by Taun