Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we send humans to Mars?

Waspie_Dwarf

Viewpoint: Should we send humans to Mars?

In the second instalment of his two-part feature on human missions to Mars, Dr Alexander Kumar - who has been overwintering at Concordia Station, Antarctica - asks whether we should send people to the Red Planet given our poor record managing this one.

Much like the interior of Antarctica, Mars remains inhospitable.

For humans to live on the planet for any significant period of time would require the recycling of water and air, along with other so-called "life systems".

arrow3.gifRead more...

Considering how populated this planet is becoming we might not have a choice in the matter. I think there will be a time that we will need the resources of other planets. Space travel is a must.

• Like 2

I don't see how we could live there and survive long enough to build the city or citys we would need to survive there long term. the cost boggles my mind. ( granted that is easy to do to me when it comes to advanced math) as does the logistics of the idea

This would be nothing like putting up a little space station piece by piece with the shuttle or by rocket. It would have to be built onsite. It would need thousands of workers, and tons of food and living quarters and O2 and water and sewer and building materials. and constant ( weekly or monthly) supply shipments using mother ship sized space barges and life support systems we don't even have designed yet ( unless the gov has secret specs we don't know about.) and in the end would it be a one way trip? or could they come back

And I don't know about anyone else but I would miss the trees here on earth.

yes we will someday need to move off this rock or perrish, Mars is the next step. but we can't even take care of ourselves down here, How will we do it up there with the distances we will need to go ( much less afford the costs of doing so and the supplies needed )

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

One of the problems is the cost boggles the mind ? I bet If we had too We would print lots of extra money and really quick . But the money should be spent here fixing out planets,and peoples problems ! THen We can think about moving shop to Mars ! I would go in a Heart beat ! just to See the possibilities ! :tu:

Remember it takes people of Great vision !

Maybe in 50 or so yrs time,when we have better tech know how,and the Robots have given us the all clear,that there are no nasty bugs about,to harm us.At the moment we are in the same stage as COLUMBUS was discovering America.

• Like 1

Maybe in 50 or so yrs time,when we have better tech know how,and the Robots have given us the all clear,that there are no nasty bugs about,to harm us.At the moment we are in the same stage as COLUMBUS was discovering America.

Well, to be fair, we do know where we're going...

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, we do know where we're going...

Ha, point taken,but lets learn to walk before we can run.We havn't got the tech know how to support life there,for any length of time,but one day it will happen.

If we are to do this at all I would suggest send earth boring robots to dig out a habitat first. As far as contamination it has already happened but in the reverse. We came from Mars. We were at war with the Earth and we lost. Humans are refugees. The winners still live under the Earth. They control and influence us every day.

We should absolutely send humans to Mars!

Here's my list...

The Kardashians

Lindsey Lohan

Bill O'reilly

Nancy Grace

Honey Boo Boo

Both of my ex wives

We should absolutely send humans to Mars!

Here's my list...

The Kardashians

Lindsey Lohan

Bill O'reilly

Nancy Grace

Honey Boo Boo

Both of my ex wives

Now thats an Idea I can wrap my grey matter around ! LoL !

But on a real note We should send robots to start the process,Im diggin the Idea that we already have the ability to send massive diggers and machines to build us an underground base.

Afterall we have thousands of them here on earth right?

Whether deliberate or accidental, contaminants brought to Mars by astronauts would have the potential to drastically affect the environment"

There's nothing there. Anything we take there will die from radiation anyway. Where's the problem?

Edited by Rhino666
  • Like 1

I agree ! We need the space Talk about High rent on the New frontier ! A Ten by Ten box to live in on Mars will be about Three billion bucks by the time we get there !

If we are to do this at all I would suggest send earth boring robots to dig out a habitat first. As far as contamination it has already happened but in the reverse. We came from Mars. We were at war with the Earth and we lost. Humans are refugees. The winners still live under the Earth. They control and influence us every day.

If "they" won...why are we enjoying the sunshine and "they" are living in caverns?

• Like 1

If "they" won...why are we enjoying the sunshine and "they" are living in caverns?

Just as Long as I can take my Little monkey with me. ANd Theres underground water ,rivers,Lakes,But Not Slave drivers !

It is not a matter of "should", it is a matter of when. We will go to Mars, and beyond, it is our destiny. My parents were children in sixties and thought we would have permanent base on Moon and been to Mars by year 1980...

• Like 2

I still think we should start with the moon. Set up a station there, get all the bugs worked out of the systems, then try to go further out. The moon is a lot closer for a rescue in case of problems then mars is.

• Like 4

I think it would be nice if some real serious plans were begun to be put in hand as a tribute to Neil Armstrong, don't you think.

• Like 4

IMHO, it's only a matter of time, money and technology before a manned mission to Mars happens.

After all, we did it on the moon.

Humans are the greatest "robots" ever created... with extra equipment of course while exploring.

What concerns me is whether or not they can, or want to, return to Earth. Surely a lauch facility similar to NASA would have to be constructed on Mars for a return trip. That, in itself, is a massive undertaking.

I've heard loose talk about a "non-return" manned mission. That is, establishing a human colony(including proper male/female breeding) that will likely never see earth again(excepting grandchildren of course)

I'm too old, but I would be most willing... with copious amounts of sedatives, or vodka and such...

IMHO, it's only a matter of time, money and technology before a manned mission to Mars happens.

After all, we did it on the moon.

Humans are the greatest "robots" ever created... with extra equipment of course while exploring.

What concerns me is whether or not they can, or want to, return to Earth. Surely a lauch facility similar to NASA would have to be constructed on Mars for a return trip. That, in itself, is a massive undertaking.

I've heard loose talk about a "non-return" manned mission. That is, establishing a human colony(including proper male/female breeding) that will likely never see earth again(excepting grandchildren of course)

I could understand that with a voyage to the Stars, but surely Mars is near enough for it not to have to be a one-way trip? I'd have thought the most sensible way would be for a mother ship to remain in orbit and for a lander to go down, and while that would still leave questions to be addressed about where to find enough fuel for the return trip, at least you'd need a lot less fuel than you would if you were taking off directly from the surface.

I could understand that with a voyage to the Stars, but surely Mars is near enough for it not to have to be a one-way trip? I'd have thought the most sensible way would be for a mother ship to remain in orbit and for a lander to go down, and while that would still leave questions to be addressed about where to find enough fuel for the return trip, at least you'd need a lot less fuel than you would if you were taking off directly from the surface.

Agreed It would be smart to have several round trips ongoing with orbiting stations Earth side,and Mars side. THen landers and robotic supply missions ect. Make it a planet sized endeavor. I still would go If it was just one way !

:tu:

I suppose the issue is two-fold.

First, drop fuel, food, water, re-launch and other supplies on Mars by somewhat current methods. Very expensive of course.

Then, establish "way-stations", perhaps 2 - 4 between Earth and Mars(with one or 2 as an emergency redundency), which contain necessary supplies for both the transit to and from Earth as well as emergency supplies regarding technology and life support. Again, very, very expensive.

Must be in the multi-trillions of dollars. But, could be done.

I still think we should start with the moon. Set up a station there, get all the bugs worked out of the systems, then try to go further out. The moon is a lot closer for a rescue in case of problems then mars is.

Just restating this quote, since it's pretty much my opinion too.

• Like 2