Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should we send humans to Mars?

Waspie_Dwarf

And how will private business help exploration?

Private business is there for profit, nothing else. It does nothing for the greater good, only for greater wealth. It may be great for putting tourists into space but it isn't going to poor billions into searching for microbes on Mars UNLESS if can profit from it.

Politicians may not be my favourite animals but remember Columbus discovered America and Cook discovered Australia on government financed missions.

It puts the Dream Alive into all people on this world, ITs whats been missing in exploration. A kick start to all the young people that Look up to the People that Make Dreams come true !

Without that we will not move off this world.IMO :tu:

And how will private business help exploration?

Private business is there for profit, nothing else. It does nothing for the greater good, only for greater wealth. It may be great for putting tourists into space but it isn't going to poor billions into searching for microbes on Mars UNLESS if can profit from it.

Politicians may not be my favourite animals but remember Columbus discovered America and Cook discovered Australia on government financed missions.

When did national governments ever do anything for the greater good? The examples of what happened after European government-sponsored expeditions discovered (or perhaps stumbled upon) other cultures doesn't exactly suggest that they were interested in doing it for the greater good, does it? Surely exploitation was the beginning and end of the motivation.

When did national governments ever do anything for the greater good? The examples of what happened after European government-sponsored expeditions discovered (or perhaps stumbled upon) other cultures doesn't exactly suggest that they were interested in doing it for the greater good, does it? Surely exploitation was the beginning and end of the motivation.

'Tis a good point I grant you, however government's and politicians are in the business of at least giving the appearance of doing things for the greater good. They will invest in projects to impress the people (either their own in the case of democracies to win votes or those of other nations to prove the superiority of their particular dogma).

Sputnik 1, Vostok 1, Apollo 11; all government projects. Maybe not for the greater good, but we would not have reached the moon in 1969 if we had waited for private industry, in fact I would argue that we wouldn't have reached their yet.

True private exploration will not come from profit seeking companies... not until there is a resource they can profitably exploit. As things become cheaper then any private exploration will be the result of philanthropy from private individuals. At the moment such ventures are too expensive even for the super wealthy.

That is where private enterprise will, in my opinion, play a role. In companies like SpaceX private enterprise will force the cost of reaching orbit down. This in turn will make the cost of exploration cheaper. However I believe it will still be government led.

Private companies will give us space hotels before they give us orbital facilities for making new medicines because that is where the easy money is.

You just said it Waspie ! THe Cost will come down,And we will explore Space as a Free enterprise world !

You just said it Waspie ! THe Cost will come down,And we will explore Space as a Free enterprise world !

Actually DONTEATUS, that's not what I said at all. Try reading it again.

Just as Long as I can take my Little monkey with me. ANd Theres underground water ,rivers,Lakes,But Not Slave drivers !

You probably wont get eaten... but I'd say your monkey would end up as someones sunday dinner when the tinned food ran out.

Looking at this from a logical angle I think we should think about getting off this planet because all the things which man are doing to this planet is not doing it any favours! Eventually the Earth is going to be pushed out to the position where Mars is as the Sun is expanding very subtley, and it will probably take at least 500,000 or more years to push Earth out that far, so the planet Mars will be in the exact position we are in at the moment so we will be in the habitation area for life to flourish. So, get your thinking caps on human race we've got 500.000 years to Terraform Mars for us to live on!

GOODAMN WHats the problem with wanting our race to evolve into a Space faring race ! Every time I say something positive about out Travels and the need to support this industry I get a reply like Its this or that that dosnt fit the bill !

Its about time I leave this Place ! :yes: