Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Hell Exist - CNN Article

libstaK

One thing I've noticed over the years is that those who violate others rights live lives which are a disaster.

Whether its alienating people, losing their jobs, getting their heads kicked in or being locked up in a prison cell they cause their own suffering. I have seen many with a narcissistic-sociopthic mentality who suffer time and time again because they seem incapable of grasping what the implications of their behaviour will be.

My answer to your question is that hell is a state of mind not a place. Revenge is also a good thing as it provides appropiate feedback to the person who violated your rights. Not that most of them will learn from it.

I agree with the first two paragraphs, but I think Revenge is unnecessary, you said it yourself these people will reap what they sow. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Someone needs to break the cycle before it spirals out of control. Someone needs to "be the change" they'd like to see as sutemi so beautifully said.

I don't blame those who fall into vengefulness specifically, these emotions are overwhelming and a very strong defence mechanism against some real inflicted pain, emotional or physical. BUT I think in the calm after the storm is a good time to really look and see if we are continuing thru the same old revolving door or can we step away and find a better way to be than filled with hurt, anger and hate. Justice is a mechanical force, we don't need to force it into functioning through acting in vengeance - cause and effect means those that inflict harm will find their own level with their own kind, we do not want to discover we have a home there too.

I love a line from a movie - The Crow, where Brandon Lee says "Victims, aren't we all". We feel pain and suffer so to be heard and to protect ourselves we inflict pain and suffering. Without knowing how, we come to a place where we hit before we can be hit, reject before we can be rejected, insult before we can be insulted - so many live just like this for too much of their lives, it's very sad.

Edited by libstaK

Well I believe in revenge. Revenge is real.. It exists. I've seen it and I know it's real. For the record I believe that hell is where God isn't. It's what atheists believe. If you die you just die and there is no afterlife. It's what I think hell is. But I could be wrong. There is only one way to find out and I intend to wait as long as possible for the answer.

• Like 2

Many times on UM it has been clearly explained that "hell" is simply the grave, after physical death of the body.

Why is it so difficult for this explanation to be accepted?

Well I believe in revenge. Revenge is real.. It exists. I've seen it and I know it's real. For the record I believe that hell is where God isn't. It's what atheists believe. If you die you just die and there is no afterlife. It's what I think hell is. But I could be wrong. There is only one way to find out and I intend to wait as long as possible for the answer.

I also believe in revenge and have no intentions of aspiring to some greater ideal or being the better man.

If someone wrongs me I wrong them. If someone does me in I'd want the state to do them in.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Many times on UM it has been clearly explained that "hell" is simply the grave, after physical death of the body.

Why is it so difficult for this explanation to be accepted?

If the world's religions could agree on that and cultivate that understanding with their membership, espousing it publically and regularly - it would go a long way I think. The problem is that is not what is sold to the faithful in so many denominations.

If the world's religions could agree on that and cultivate that understanding with their membership, espousing it publically and regularly - it would go a long way I think. The problem is that is not what is sold to the faithful in so many denominations.

I agree with your above points libstaK.

What puzzles me is *why* people who have been posting in UM Spiritual Boards for years (and presumably must have read posts explaining "hell"), still post about souls tormented in everlasting hell-flames.

• Like 1

There needs to be some sort of separation of bad and good spirits. Wouldn't want the bad spirits having fun pushing the good ones around.

I do believe in the afterlife, saw a ghost.

I agree with your above points libstaK.

What puzzles me is *why* people who have been posting in UM Spiritual Boards for years (and presumably must have read posts explaining "hell"), still post about souls tormented in everlasting hell-flames.

Because that's what the bible describes hell as!

Edited by Bling

Hell is conscious torment.

• Matthew 13:50 “furnace of fire…weeping and gnashing of teeth”
  • Mark 9:48 “where their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched”
  • Revelation 14:10 “he will be tormented with fire and brimstone”

Hell is eternal and irreversible.

• Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”
  • Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
  • Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

Hell is eternal and irreversible.

• Revelation 14:11 “the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever and they have no rest day and night”
  • Revelation 20:14 “This is the second death, the lake of fire”
  • Revelation 20:15 “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire”

• Like 2

If the Christian Hell would exist, it would mean God is not unconditional love, which makes me believe this part of Christianity is being wrong from my point of view. Therefore, Hell is a concept invented by religious people. It is the problem with Christianity and other religions, the fear of being thrown itno hell. Fear should be totally eliminated. I see too many religious people performing rituals and repeating pointless prayers just in anxiety, fear of judgement by God.

Edited by KKOPPI

If the Christian Hell would exist, it would mean God is not unconditional love, which makes me believe this part of Christianity is being wrong from my point of view. Therefore, Hell is a concept invented by religious people. It is the problem with Christianity and other religions, the fear of being thrown itno hell. Fear should be totally eliminated. I see too many religious people performing rituals and repeating pointless prayers just in anxiety, fear of judgement by God.

Yes, when it comes to fear - it is the universal weapon of choice by those who claim to be the supreme holders of "the wisdom".

Bling, since you say that you are an atheist, please scroll to the top of this forum page, and read what is the purpose of this specific UM Board:

The
Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs
board is primarily aimed at discussing general topics pertaining to religion and spirituality,
for skeptic vs believer style discussion and debate on the nature of spirituality themed topics please visit the
board.

If (as an atheist) you wish to argue *against* beliefs, then please consider posting in the Spirituality vs Skepticism board.

Regards,

Karlis -- UM mod team member

The name of the topic is "Does hell exist", this topic belongs in the spirituality vs skepticism board.

• Like 2

A good few Christians throughout time did and some still do do believe in hell.. ( it is generally accepted by many ) and many of them will class it as a place of hell fire... and some will chant - BURN IN HELL.. to show their anger..( which is a sin according to Jesus.. the irony lol )

Like this thread --> http://www.unexplain...howtopic=235193 Poor David Attenborough :P

Does hell really exist...in the spiritual world? Truthful and honest answer is - We do not know...BUT if we each have our own definition of what hell is. ( mine is being locked in a room, with mad people preaching all sorts at me and Justin Beiber playing in the background ) .......I would say - Hell exists on earth..not in a spiritual world.. God has no use for hell, I cannot see the logic for any spiritual place like it..If Hell is your grave.. how would you know it was hell for you? You are dead, done and dusted....

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

The name of the topic is "Does hell exist", this topic belongs in the spirituality vs skepticism board.

I almost agree - almost.

Here's the thing. The gist of the debate is not about whether or not a skeptic believes in hell, we already know the answer to that question. It is more a debate between believers as to whether hell as a part of their particular denominations dogma or faith system is a useful part of their spiritual journey aka; "all the non-believers are going to hell" - how does that kind of mindset assist a believer? To me it brings fear rather than insight into the forefront of the minds of those that entertain such notions and play them out in the way they view the world.

Edited by libstaK

If Jesus is divine and good he would descend down to hell to minister those tormented souls. Sometimes I wonder if it was Jesus who rebelled against God, not Satan.

Jesus spent a lot of time talking about the place so I have to believe it is real. The concept of God taking some pleasure in tormenting anyone is something I fail to understand or accept. If we are cut off, it is our own choice but I still do not believe it gives God any sense of joy.

Amen, brother. Jesus died so we wouldn't have to go there. And, btw, one of the (many) reasons why I believe Jesus is in fact the Son of God in a unique sense is because no one ever says (that I know of) "oh Buddha", or "oh Mohammed" or "oh Krishna", but many say "oh Christ" in a blasphemous manner. Why? Because there is power in the name. There is no power in the other names.

Amen, brother. Jesus died so we wouldn't have to go there. And, btw, one of the (many) reasons why I believe Jesus is in fact the Son of God in a unique sense is because no one ever says (that I know of) "oh Buddha", or "oh Mohammed" or "oh Krishna", but many say "oh Christ" in a blasphemous manner. Why? Because there is power in the name. There is no power in the other names.

The name christ doesn't have power! It's just a swear word to many. So are you belittling Mohammed, Buddha and Krishna names?

If Jesus is divine and good he would descend down to hell to minister those tormented souls. Sometimes I wonder if it was Jesus who rebelled against God, not Satan.

Some people think that from the time he died on Friday until he rose from the grave, that he did just that, in spirit of course.

The name christ doesn't have power! It's just a swear word to many. So are you belittling Mohammed, Buddha and Krishna names?

Why do people say "Oh Christ" when they are upset, but not "Oh Buddha" or "Oh Mohammed", etc.? If he (Christ) is just the same as the others (Buddha, etc.), why is his name picked on? There must be a reason! I'd sure like to know what Muslims say when they get upset but I bet they don't say "Oh Mohammed". It wouldn't surprise me though if they say "Oh Christ". Why do they choose it as a swear word? I'll bet they wouldn't choose my name or your name or Mohammed's name as a swear word...because there is only one name given under heaven, whereby men must be saved. If by "belittling" you mean that I am claiming they are not Gods, you're right.

Edited by Gummug

Amen, brother. Jesus died so we wouldn't have to go there.

Yes, I bet it was a great relief to all of the millions of bored souls waiting to get into heaven before Jesus's time eh? No one likes being left on standby

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Yes, I bet it was a great relief to all of the millions of bored souls waiting to get into heaven before Jesus's time eh? No one likes being left on standby

You bring up an interesting point Becky and I don't have a pat answer but one possible answer: if they were all "asleep"...you know how you have no sense of time when you're asleep? There could be other answers, too.

I tried to covert to Buddhism but scratched that after learning about their version of Hell. Christian Hell got nothing on Buddhist Hell. I found it so disgusting and couldn't see Buddhism in a favorable view.

And that just confirms that Heaven & Hell and indeed God & the Devil are all iproducts the mind. Or at least that religion is nothing more than a 'mental club' i.e. 'i'll won't join that religion because I don't like their version of hell so i'll join this other religion because theirs sounds nicer'

How can all these religions be following the 'right god'? If there is only one god then there are gonna be a lot of disappointed people in the afterlife who have spent their whole life worshipping the wrong deity.

You bring up an interesting point Becky and I don't have a pat answer but one possible answer: if they were all "asleep"...you know how you have no sense of time when you're asleep? There could be other answers, too.

All asleep waiting on standby...okie dokie then

All asleep waiting on standby...okie dokie then

Okie Dokie! :innocent: (some on us are having too much fun methinks)