Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fatima lady- What was it?

Big Bad Voodoo

I dont understand how a mass of people could have the exact same hallucination

It's an interesting question, and I think different people might have differing reasons, but in many cases, people are just hoping for something more to better their lives, and a strong belief can be visualised. There are many examples of mass hallucination other than the Fatima event:

Notable cases

[edit]Tanganyika laughter epidemic (1962)

The Tanganyika laughter epidemic began on January 30, 1962, at a mission-run boarding school for girls in Kashasha, Tanzania. The laughter started with three girls and spread haphazardly throughout the school, affecting 95 of the 159 pupils, aged 12–18.[7][8] Symptoms lasted from a few hours to 16 days in those affected. The teaching staff were not affected but reported that students were unable to concentrate on their lessons. The school was forced to close down on March 18, 1962.[9]

After the school was closed and the students were sent home, the epidemic spread to Nshamba, a village that was home to several of the girls.[9] In April and May, 217 people had laughing attacks in the village, most of them being school children and young adults. The Kashasha school was reopened on May 21, only to be closed again at the end of June. In June, the laughing epidemic spread to Ramashenye girls’ middle school, near Bukoba, affecting 48 girls. Another outbreak occurred in Kanyangereka and two nearby boys schools were closed.[7]

[edit]Blackburn, England (1965)

In October 1965 at a girls' school in Blackburn, several girls complained of dizziness.[10] Some fainted. Within a couple of hours, 85 girls from the school were rushed by ambulance to a nearby hospital after fainting. Symptoms included swooning, moaning, chattering of teeth, hyperpnea, andtetany.[10]

A medical analysis of the event about one year later found that outbreaks began among the 14-year-olds, but that the heaviest incidence moved to the youngest age groups.[10] There was no evidence of pollution of food or air.[10] The younger girls proved more susceptible, but disturbance was more severe and lasted longer in the older girls.[10] Using the Eysenck Personality Inventory, those affected had higher scores for extroversion and neuroticism.[10] It was considered that the epidemic was hysterical, that a previous polio epidemic had rendered the population emotionally vulnerable, and that a three-hour parade, producing 20 faints on the day before the first outbreak, had been the specific trigger.[10]

[edit]Malaysia (1970s-80s)

Mass hysteria has occurred in Malaysia from the 1970s to the 1980s. It affects school-age girls and young women working in factories. The local explanation has been that these girls and young women are affected by "spirits".[11][12][13][14]

[edit]West Bank fainting epidemic (1983)

The 1983 West Bank fainting epidemic was a series of incidents in March 1983 in which 943 Palestinian teenage girls, mostly schoolgirls, and a small number of IDF women soldiers fainted or complained of feeling nauseous in the West Bank. Israel was accused of using "chemical warfare" to sterilize West Bank women while IDF sources speculated that a toxic substance had been employed by Palestinian militants to stir up unrest[15] but investigators concluded that even if some "environmental irritant" had originally been present, the wave of complaints was ultimately a product of mass hysteria. This conclusion was supported by a Palestinian health official, who said that while 20% of the early cases may have been caused by the inhalation of some kind of gas, the remaining 80% were psychosomatic.[16][medical citation needed]

[edit]"Strawberries With Sugar virus" (2006)

In May 2006, an outbreak of the so-dubbed "Morangos com Açúcar Virus" (Strawberries With Sugar virus) was reported in Portuguese schools, named after the popular teen girl's show Morangos com Açúcar (Strawberries With Sugar). 300 or more students at 14 schools reported similar symptoms to those experienced by the characters in a then recent episode where a life-threatening virus affected the school depicted in the show.[17][18][medical citation needed] Symptoms of the "virus" included rashes, difficulty breathing, and dizziness. The perceived outbreak forced some schools to temporarily close. The Portuguese National Institute for Medical Emergency eventually dismissed the illness as mass hysteria.[17][18][medical citation needed]

[edit]Mexico City (2007)

In 2007 near Chalco, a working-class suburb of Mexico City, mass hysteria resulted in a massive outbreak of unusual symptoms suffered by adolescent female students at Children's Village School, a Catholic boarding-school.[19][20] The afflicted students had difficulty walking and were feverish and nauseated.

[edit]Tanzania (2008)

In 2008 in Tanzania, about 20 female school pupils began to faint in a schoolroom, collapsing to the floor and losing consciousness, while others after witnessing this sobbed, yelled and ran around the school. A local education officer was quoted in news reports saying that such events are "very common here".[2][medical citation needed]

[edit]Brunei (2010)

In April and May 2010, incidents of mass hysteria occurred at two all-girls secondary schools in Brunei.[21][medical citation needed] The phenomena caused a wave of panic among many parents, educators, and members of the community. Some of the students affected by the phenomenon claimed to have been possessed by spirits, or jinn, displaying histrionic symptoms such as screaming, shaking, and crying.

[edit]LeRoy, New York (2011-12)

In late 2011, 12 high school girls developed Tourette-like symptoms. Their school was tested for toxins, and all other factors for their symptoms were ruled out. The case, and some of the girls and their parents gained national media attention. In January 2012, several more students and a 36-year-old adult female came forward with similar symptoms. They were all diagnosed with conversion disorder.[22][23][medical citation needed]

LINK

A similar event took place back in 1988, in all places... Lubbock, TX! My brother and several friends of mine all went to that as it was an all day "event"? There were several thousands of people there also and several said the same thing about the sun moving and "dancing" across the sky. One thing was for sure, people were able to stare at the sun unaffected for long periods of time and the sun in August is quite unforgiving in our parts. There were several Polaroids taken that day and some weird images with a doorway did surface because I saw them on the news that night and in 1988 there was no Photoshop unless you truly believe in time travelers. I didn't go for some reason or another but later on, I lived about one block away from St. John Neumann's. I don't know about all the miracles as far as healing go but I know a lot of people said they saw the sun do some weird things.

http://www.lubbockcentennial.com/AJremembers/081008.shtml

A similar event took place back in 1988, in all places... Lubbock, TX! My brother and several friends of mine all went to that as it was an all day "event"? There were several thousands of people there also and several said the same thing about the sun moving and "dancing" across the sky. One thing was for sure, people were able to stare at the sun unaffected for long periods of time and the sun in August is quite unforgiving in our parts. There were several Polaroids taken that day and some weird images with a doorway did surface because I saw them on the news that night and in 1988 there was no Photoshop unless you truly believe in time travelers. I didn't go for some reason or another but later on, I lived about one block away from St. John Neumann's. I don't know about all the miracles as far as healing go but I know a lot of people said they saw the sun do some weird things.

http://www.lubbockce...rs/081008.shtml

Photoshop founders started work in 1987, first version, 1990......

There may have not been " photoshop ", but there have all ways been ways to edit photographs, even when photographs were invented.

Photoshop founders started work in 1987, first version, 1990......

There may have not been " photoshop ", but there have all ways been ways to edit photographs, even when photographs were invented.

From what I understood, but this is coming from a memory of some... 25 years ago on the news report, the people interviewed were there all day. I don't know either way if it could've been a double exposure or whatever method photographic fraud is committed. The really interesting part of this whole story is: why Lubbock, TX? I could understand all the other exotic locations in the world but why there? I had been spending years trying to find ways OUT of there... :P

Here are a bunch of pictures taken at Fatima in 1917, as well as statements of witnesses who saw the "dance of the sun". I never really taken any position on this, not even whether it was a UFO report at all.

Of course, if we imagine God as all powerful, all knowing, the Creator of the universe, She can do anything she wants with out little old stars and planets.

And the Lord said to Job:

“Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?

Tell me, if you understand.

Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!

Who stretched a measuring line across it?

On what were its footings set,

or who laid its cornerstone—

while the morning stars sang together

and all the angels shouted for joy?

Have you ever given orders to the morning,

or shown the dawn its place,

that it might take the earth by the edges

and shake the wicked out of it?

The earth takes shape like clay under a seal;

its features stand out like those of a garment.

The wicked are denied their light,

and their upraised arm is broken.

Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades?

Can you loosen Orion’s belt?

Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons

or lead out the Bear with its cubs?

Do you know the laws of the heavens?

Can you set up God’s dominion over the earth?"

Of course, in a deeply Catholic nation like Portugal, they would have explained any apparition or phenomenon like this in religious terms, and maybe they were right.

PS Job is best read metaphorically or as a poem rather than some kind of journalistic account or literal scientific textbook, since God comes up to him in a whirlwind. Of course, there are those who could probably read a UFO or ET report into stories like those.

How then you explain people saw it 18 kilometers away? How come that other people there near children didnt saw anything unusual?

Thats easy "L" they all had on there Mass Swamp gasahallucination Helmuts and Spy Glasses on ! :tu:

• Like 1

Thats easy "L" they all had on there Mass Swamp gasahallucination Helmuts and Spy Glasses on ! :tu:

Yes, all that was just standard equipment for Portuguese peasants in 1917. LOL

Yes, all that was just standard equipment for Portuguese peasants in 1917. LOL

ANd It never hurts to have a few hundred bottles of that wonderful Portuguese Port close at hand ! Gotta Love that Port !

Helps with the interpertation of said God like events !

ANd It never hurts to have a few hundred bottles of that wonderful Portuguese Port close at hand ! Gotta Love that Port !

Helps with the interpertation of said God like events !

For all I know, the people at Fatama just got a glimpse of the landlord of this planet, as did old Job, thousands of years ago. It's possible, especially if we imagine beings with advanced technology that can manipulate time, space, matter and even our own perceptions in ways that are far beyond our limited knowledge.

AS Long as they will sit down and have a drink with us ! Im all In,But they better not bring there own Smokers ! :tu:

I'm in line with Brian Dunning on this one. From the event itself to the three prophecies - nothing really that significant here.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4110

Feel free to read the transcript or listen to the podcast.

And from my own perspective, is this was legit, God or whatever you want to call him is simply a prickish *******. We were in the middle of a World War, hundreds of thousands of people had been killed and injured and the all-seeing, all-powerful, merciful God creates a freaking light show?

Really?

How about ginning up a "real" miracle and bringing back all who had been killed and bestowing love in the hearts of all men, thus ending the misery of war for all eternity. You know, especially since we were about to rinse and repeat a little more than 20 years later - which God would have known, right?

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 1

That Was Always One Of My Favourite Mysteries ..

I Think It Was Some Kind Of Holograph But Made By Who, I Have No Idea .. However, I Support The Idea Of A Mass Hallucination As Well ...

Yeah and you gotta question what would happen to the earth If the sun was bouncing around, I mean I would think that would have some impact on the earth

• Like 1

Maybe I should report what happened to us last night ? And call it THe TexasReally Fat mama shake & Bake !

Were all gonna Die the earth is just going to spit us off its surface !LoL. :no:

Yeah and you gotta question what would happen to the earth If the sun was bouncing around, I mean I would think that would have some impact on the earth

If this wasn't a swamp gas or divine or what ever else it may have been...maybe it was something closer and so bright it was thought to be the sun dancing because it was in front of the sun?

If this wasn't a swamp gas or divine or what ever else it may have been...maybe it was something closer and so bright it was thought to be the sun dancing because it was in front of the sun?

I never thought it would literally be a case of the sun dancing around, but more likely something that was happening much closer--obviously something unusual. If it had been the sun, then it would probably have fried the earth completely if it actually moved closer.

Some people have suggested that it was a sun dog or some unusual atmospheric phenomenon, which of course is a standard explanation for many UFO reports.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.physicsforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D149860&ei=qPZoUMiKN6WI2gX86IHYDg&usg=AFQjCNGwAY8o7p9JrJ62HNaBRquWGVNuRA&sig2=5WHbhpIdwuS6XJUpECS56w

The Catholic Church officially proclaimed it a miracle in 1930, but the Protestant churches rejected that, as of course do rationalists and most scientific observers. I have never been able to make up my mind about the event, or the visions and prophecies of the children. It's unusual and unexplained, whether or not we want to call it a UFO.

Mass hallucination explanations for anything have always seemed ridiculous to me, about as likely as mass hiccups attacks.

• Like 3

I never thought it would literally be a case of the sun dancing around, but more likely something that was happening much closer--obviously something unusual. If it had been the sun, then it would probably have fried the earth completely if it actually moved closer.

Some people have suggested that it was a sun dog or some unusual atmospheric phenomenon, which of course is a standard explanation for many UFO reports

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.physicsforums.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D149860&ei=qPZoUMiKN6WI2gX86IHYDg&usg=AFQjCNGwAY8o7p9JrJ62HNaBRquWGVNuRA&sig2=5WHbhpIdwuS6XJUpECS56w

. Yeah because if it was the actual sun it would basically wipe out everything. I guess aliens could have the technical know how to play with the sun but I highly doubt it
  • Like 1

Some people have suggested that it was a sun dog or some unusual atmospheric phenomenon, which of course is a standard explanation for many UFO reports.

http://www.google.co...dwuS6XJUpECS56w

By reading that link I see there were clouds that parted when it happened, so it would have been confusing for observers and they could easily think it was the sun (what else would it be to them) and I never heard of a ball lightning communicating to any one so I remove that theory from the speculations.

Really sounds the same as an Ezekiel type of event so I can see how the Catholic church would have got its take on it and said it was a miracle. This is the same church that has said that ETs wouldn't make a difference to their religion since God could have created other worlds besides earth.

• Like 1

. Yeah because if it was the actual sun it would basically wipe out everything. I guess aliens could have the technical know how to play with the sun but I highly doubt it

Only if they wanted to wipe us out--burn us up or freeze us--but I don't think that is any part of their plans.

Really sounds the same as an Ezekiel type of event so I can see how the Catholic church would have got its take on it and said it was a miracle. This is the same church that has said that ETs wouldn't make a difference to their religion since God could have created other worlds besides earth.

Or like Job talking to the thing in the whirlwind, whatever it really was, or Elijah being taken up to heaven in a whirlwind. It's always possible to come up with some kind of ET spin on such events, assuming that something like them really happened and was recorded in some form.