Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secrets of the 'Squid from Hell' revealed

Still Waters

The secret life of a mysterious creature that feeds on the decaying dead in the unlit depths of the ocean has been revealed.

The squid is so weird that it is known as a ‘phylogenetic relic’. It has the honour of occupying a taxonomic category all of its own, combining features of octopuses and squids in a unique evolutionary formula that has survived for millions of years.

http://www.cosmosmag...d-hell-revealed

• Like 3

What a cool animal its like a vulture of the sea. :tu:

It's like something that only H.P. Lovecraft would have thought!

This creature was shown alive on one of the David Attenborough specials on the deep ocean habitat. The television program made it seem much larger, but there was really no point of reference for size. As I recall, the animal was not black but rather a dark burnt-orange red color, not unusual for animals in the deep sea where red light does not penetrate and thus red creatures appear black. It did indeed have huge eyes of an eerie luminous blue color. When it felt threatened by the submersible's lights and camera, it folded it's entire umbrella structure around its body, looking rather like a spiny football. While it is certainly weird, feeding on dead animals is not unique to this cephalopod, the more famous (and also quite strange) Chambered Nautilus also takes dead prey, but does not consume them in the same manner, it just bites off chucks.

If you ever get to watch any well done program about deep sea life, it is always amazing to see the truly alien creatures that live there.

• Like 1

I've seen this creature on TV. Deep sea life is very interesting. Almost like aliens from another planet.

Wow. Life on other planets could be extremely odd indeed, if life like this exists right here on our own.

• Like 1

And there was me thinking there was no such thing as Hell.

Until the Squid from Hell turned up...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

damnit i was wondering where i put the pic of my x wife at!

• Like 1

Fascinating! I've always been really very interested in cephalopods and marine life (having of course been a marine biologist myself for a time), but this one is really very near the top of my list. It's just fascinating.

very nifty creature. i'm waiting for the next new animal discovery : )

As said before(post #6), deep sea life is so very interesting and amazes even veteran scientists. Great article.

I KNEW that the oceans depths sported creepy stuff. Maybe someone saw that thing, over exagerated it and called it Cthulu?

the youtube video is pretty cool

I admit it's a pretty cool little cephalopod, but, vampires are the living dead feeding on life. This guy is alive and feeds on the dead... Maybe they could have given it a name. Something like, necro-squid or calamari-thanatophile.

I admit it's a pretty cool little cephalopod, but, vampires are the living dead feeding on life. This guy is alive and feeds on the dead... Maybe they could have given it a name. Something like, necro-squid or calamari-thanatophile.

But what of Vampire Bats? Yes, a vampire is a European paranormal creature, but a vampire is also something that prey's ruthlessly on others.

But what of Vampire Bats? Yes, a vampire is a European paranormal creature, but a vampire is also something that prey's ruthlessly on others.

Yes, I see your point. Vampire bats drink blood from other animals and vampire squids eat dead animals... ruthlessly preying on ocean carrion drifting across the bottom of the sea. hehehe!

• Like 1