Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crime reducing cardboard policeman is stolen

Still Waters

The six-foot tall life-size figure, named PC Bobb, was placed in a Sainsbury's Local store to deter shoplifters.

The model was stolen last Saturday evening and photos of it have appeared on social networking sites, including appearing at several house parties since being stolen from the shop in Shafton, Barnsley.

A Sainsbury's spokesman said: "It is bizarre that someone would want to steal our cardboard copper PC Bobb. We'd got used to having him being around and hope he is returned in one piece."

The props have been placed in the windows of stores around Barnsley as a crime prevention measure.

http://www.telegraph...-is-stolen.html

:lol: Taken by someone with a sense of humour no doubt!

• Like 2

I wonder if they are offering a reward for his safe return.

• Like 1

Reminds me of here at work... We had a huge problem with pigeons roosting on our building and 'bombing' passersby... At first they tried putting up plastic Owls (the real ones apparently prey on pigeons) to frighten them off...

Two days later there was a cluster of pigeons perched all over the owl perfectly happy to sit on it and poop on everyone...

• Like 2

One was stolen from a shop near me year before last..locals were most upset as he had a better attitude towards the public than the real thing.

• Like 3

People will steal anything. I want one of those in Johnny Depp.

• Like 2

He should have blown his cardboard whistle.

• Like 2

You can't have anything nice..

• Like 1

Sweet sweet irony.

They use a sticker of a police man here, I guess the local council have had budget cuts. :-P

• Like 1

Well, appropritate reaction would call for a fully armed SWAT team to rescue the cardboard "hostage". :passifier:

• Like 1

When I read 'cardboard policeman' I thought they mean't a Community support Officer had been stolen.

• Like 3

I don't really see how he was much of a deterrent. Oh look out a cardboard cop, don't steal that candy bar! I feel sick, I'm going over to see the cardboard pharmacist (chemist). Just make the whole store cardboard with a website on the back where you can order the merchandise and solve the theft problem altogether.

......a cardboard cop... to stop people from stealing.... *sigh*

what cant afford to employ secret shoppers? this hurts my brain.

• Like 1

Who wouldn't want a cardboard policeman. I would steal one in a heart beat. :whistle:

• Like 1

Here where I live, a taxi crashed into a signboard urging taxi drivers to drive carefully.

They use cardboard ones in Barnsley,because all trhe real ones have been abducted.

• Like 1

Related headlines:

Last week in Denver, Colorado, 6 cardboard policemen shot and killed an unarmed cardboard box.

Cardboard bodyguards have been shown to reduce bullying in high schools by 75%.

Who wouldn't want a cardboard policeman. I would steal one in a heart beat. :whistle:

Was on an Edinburgh pub crawl back in the 90's where one of my pals tried to "liberate" a cardboard Charlie Chaplin from outside a cafe (it was the menu board). Charlie sat with us for 5mins before he was recued by his owners.. who actually laughed instead of getting all serious. :)

I guess they couldn't afford film for the C.C.T.V. Cameras,there is 5 in the Sainsbury's here ,and I always give them a wave,as they track you in.

• Like 1