Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is your sense of the divine found in Nature?

Clarakore

Divinity/Nature Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is the divine separate from Nature/Universe aka for some "is God separate from His Creation?"

• Yes, nature is not where the divine can be found?
    • No, every part of nature contains the essence of the divine (God for some)
  2. 2. Are you Christian or Pagan?

• Christian
    • Pagan
    • Other
  3. 3. Are trees special?

• Yes
    • No

It is a traditional Christian view that God and therefore mankind are separate from nature. How many Christians feel like me that we are a part of nature and that God can be found in every part of it? How many non-Christians feel similar with your chosen deitiy(s)? Or how many believe otherwise?

I have always felt this way, innately, but only recently read that the traditional Christian view, not the only one, nor was it the first one because there were many competing views until Rome settled on one and they fractured once again, but it was just surprising to see that my view always sat uneasly next to the idea of having dominion over the earth.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit
  • Like 1

You know..the idea of "divine" just never occurred to me at all.

I never seen anything as "divine" nor have I felt it.

I suppose if one wanted to "see" or "experience" their god then instead of staring at a book that has been written and re-written by man, why not go to a park and listen to the wind as it rustles through the leaves. Why not go and donate food to a shelter or visit some elderly neighbors? Why not gaze at the stars or clouds or even look out at a lake and watch the birds? If one wants the "divine" so badly then that is where it would be..not in some building where you are being told on a daily basis how awful and evil you are just because you were born.

• Like 4

Are trees "special"?? Sounds a bit vague. Instead of "special," I think the more appropriate word is important, as in for our survival.

• Like 1

Tree hugging, dirt worshiper. The Earth is my mother, she is Divine. All of the Universe is Divine. ;)

• Like 1

Eros

It is a traditional Christian view that God and therefore mankind are separate from nature. How many Christians feel like me that we are a part of nature and that God can be found in every part of it? How many non-Christians feel similar with your chosen deitiy(s)? Or how many believe otherwise?

I have always felt this way, innately, but only recently read that the traditional Christian view, not the only one, nor was it the first one because there were many competing views until Rome settled on one and they fractured once again, but it was just surprising to see that my view always sat uneasly next to the idea of having dominion over the earth.

Is it really seperate? In which way? God created the heavens and earth and all beings on it do Christians not believe this? Thus mankind animals and the planet would all have the same stamp correct? Trees included. What makes us "more special" than trees or animals etc. is simply our own ego.

"The Greeks who invented the idea of nature, saw all nature as a vast living organism...In effect, the Greeks had projected themselves onto the macrocosim, and said it was alive and a reflection of themselves." -Norman Doidge, M.D.

Tree hugging, dirt worshiper. The Earth is my mother, she is Divine. All of the Universe is Divine. ;)

Hi Darkwind,

In my personal path, part of spirituality is about being in the now. Spirituality is also to get us out of this material world. With these in mind, there's no way for me to verify my divinity while I'm here on this planet. For one thing, I'm still in the body at this moment. Even when I was out of my body, I can actually say that there's nothing divine about my being. I do know that my being is (relatively) eternal, but is it "divine"? My being actually has never told me, "Paul, you are so divine." My definition of divine is, no doubt, different from yours. And yes, I don't follow hearsay nowadays. Holy books info? I have nothing against people following whatever they want to follow. I can only be honest to myself. As of right now, I'm far away of being a god, divine, etc. I have no illusions about that. In fact, I'm becoming no-thing right before my very eyes. Things have been taken away from me... If I were a god, I certainly would not allow that. I have no supernatural powers. Nothing. Zero. Truth is stranger than any holy books, interesting to say. I, on the other hand, believe in the promise of freedom via Nirvana. A promise is the only concrete knowledge I can actually go by. It is the core of my existence. Promise, promise, promise. Real freedom to me equates to God(?). Merging w/ God(?) 101. And God(?) is not in this material plane of existence. To really know God(?) is to be one with It. Otherwise, that pseudo knowing is based on dreaming. Dreaming is never real, contrary to some people's belief system. Then again, this is my personal path, the only right-as-rain that I truly know about. I'm also trying to deprogram myself from tired teachings and pseudo-truths. I'm not saying that your belief system is as such, Darkwind -- please don't get me wrong. I respect your path. My life, on the other hand, is my harshest teacher, and there's no turning back for me.

Peace.

Edited by braveone2u

IMO, to seperate ones self from nature is obsurd.

Unless one is an artificial life-form.. but even then, all of the components of said artificial life form are born of nature.. so, I guess there is no such separation in a physical sense.. *shrugs*

• Like 1

I still find this valid: "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." "Awakening" has its place, in the scheme of things. "One step at a time..."

In christianity, there has long been a division between panthiests like Kellog (the cereal magnate) in the nineteenth century, and monotheists. The pantheists, in brief, think god is made up of many components found in separate elements of nature. The monoheists see god as more anthropomorphic, but sometimes as one being who may permeate all of nature. because he created it.

My own experience of god is this. God exists in every thing and everything is a part of god. We can share god's energies, power, and thoughts There is a singular consciousness and form of god, but it meshes with all consciousness and all natural things. So trees are a part of god, and a sapient being can talk to the sapience of god which resides within a tree (and every where) It is not the tree's consciousness one is speaking with, but god's.

Also we can share consciousness with other humans, past and present, via god/ the universal consciousness. ANd, of course, because we are linked with gods sapience, we can share that also and communicate directly with god on many levels.

God is always accessible to a human being, to provide wisdom guidance help and protection. But you can "pray" (or just strike up a conversation) to a tree or the wind/sky or your inner self and find god residing there, waiting to respond.

• Like 6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is the best explaination I have ever heard of God^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

trees are special? not anymore so than any other creature to me, so if everything is special... nothing is really special? idk i just say no tress are not >.>

Edited by notoverrated

trees are special? not anymore so than any other creature to me, so if everything is special... nothing is really special? idk i just say no tress are not >.>

IMO everything is special. We are a part of an integrated universe/ecology which supports us and so it is all special, but selff aware sapient entities are extra special for obvious reasons They can change things via will and skill. they are builders and destroyers.

Trees are special because they support life. And because they can tell you the winner of the next melbourne cup, if you talk to them nicely and listen to them carefully.. :innocent:

• Like 1

I'm starting to think what we call God or the divine is just another word for nature or the natural world, instead of nature being a part of God or divinity. I think anthropomorphizing "god" often leads us to perceive God as more human than other, sort of as a super-human being. Like us, but only bigger & better, whereas I tend to think more along the lines of Holy Spirit because it opens more doors for me to explore.

In christianity, there has long been a division between panthiests like Kellog (the cereal magnate) in the nineteenth century, and monotheists. The pantheists, in brief, think god is made up of many components found in separate elements of nature. The monoheists see god as more anthropomorphic, but sometimes as one being who may permeate all of nature. because he created it.

My own experience of god is this. God exists in every thing and everything is a part of god. We can share god's energies, power, and thoughts There is a singular consciousness and form of god, but it meshes with all consciousness and all natural things. So trees are a part of god, and a sapient being can talk to the sapience of god which resides within a tree (and every where) It is not the tree's consciousness one is speaking with, but god's.

Also we can share consciousness with other humans, past and present, via god/ the universal consciousness. ANd, of course, because we are linked with gods sapience, we can share that also and communicate directly with god on many levels.

God is always accessible to a human being, to provide wisdom guidance help and protection. But you can "pray" (or just strike up a conversation) to a tree or the wind/sky or your inner self and find god residing there, waiting to respond.

Did your god tell you that? It sounds to me that you're merely describing your spirit, what you've been taught for years. Philosophy stuff. Then again, if it works for you, then wonderful for you. On the other hand, what is this "experience" you're telling us? Was it a "dream" experience?

I once prayed to a personal god/deity, but see where it got me -- back to 101. I've come to realize that everything in this world is to get us out of this world. I am following spirituality after all, not materialism. Praying for things and protection?? Wasn't it Jesus who said to give your riches/things away?? Something to think about. No amount of prayer will protect people from the harshness of this world, unfortunately. Speaking of Christ...he was crucified, was he not? Rudi, the founder of my meditation group, died in a plane crash, with all the gory details. Therefore, the real God(?), to me, is not in this world...

Edited by braveone2u

Did your god tell you that? It sounds to me that you're merely describing your spirit, what you've been taught for years. Philosophy stuff. Then again, if it works for you, then wonderful for you. On the other hand, what is this "experience" you're telling us? Was it a "dream" experience?

I once prayed to a personal god/deity, but see where it got me -- back to 101. I've come to realize that everything in this world is to get us out of this world. I am following spirituality after all, not materialism. Praying for things and protection?? Wasn't it Jesus who said to give your riches/things away?? Something to think about. No amount of prayer will protect people from the harshness of this world, unfortunately. Speaking of Christ...he was crucified, was he not? Rudi, the founder of my meditation group, died in a plane crash, with all the gory details. Therefore, the real God(?), to me, is not in this world...

In my experience (which is all I can really go by) god's sapience exists in us and all around us. If we contact it within ourselves we can use it to accees all forms of sapience, and piggy- back on it, anywhere in space and time. I know god exists out side of me because of what it contributes beyond what i can know or do, as an isolated self awareness in a discrete physical body.

God is also capable of indpendent powerful physical manifestions that i am not capable of. The incident which made me realise this, was when confronted by a being of light which told me it had cured me of a nicotine addiction. . It was 2 metres tall, lit up hundreds of square feet of my front garden and was observed by other people from a distance. I kNEW i did not have the ability in my self to generate tha amount of energy (although for a short time i considered if i had manifested it and cured my self of addiction at the same time) The light was the equivalent of may thousands of watts. Using outside halogen lamps as an equivalent, more than 10000 watts illumination. SO i had to look for and accept other possibilities

God can come in dreams and prophecies but also in physical form or via other human agents. He can come as sound light energy matter in any form, etc All of these are real physicla and visible audible in the common real world.

One night i had a dream in which i died three times, In future times the contents of that dream allowed me to avoid death by recognising an emerging situauin and avoiding it, But at the same time god also manifested and helped me survive with further warnings and physical interventions in those dangerous situations.

I am not your traditional christian. I dont believe in after life for example, but i know god, and i think i understand gods purpose for me. While christ preached a spiritual message, he also preached and illustrated how we should live life here on earth and our responsibiity to other humans and the earth itslef. We are stewards of god who must use our talents given by god to uselful purpose. Tha tis essentially the purpose of the spiritual dimension with us, after all

A relationship with god is not about prayer but about communication, and doing gods will. Physically doing gods will using the exampla rof christ (Or indeed of buddah) does improve the earth and help others on it Prayer may guide god to help and intervene and mke us feel better, but a more sure method is to use the abilities god gives us, and his guidance and wisdoms, to make a positive differnce in our world

Christ said to use our talents wisely. Riches can be invested and multiplied and used to do more good, than if they are spent once, It is not money, but the love of money, which keeps one from appreciating our spirtual selves. I do give most of my money away and i do live simply without buying new goods or consuming more of the earths resources than i need to to survive comfortably ie not go hungry or cold. This computer, for example, is 8 years old and was bought from insurance money when we lost everythng we possessed in a bush fire.

I find nature relaxes and energizes me, but I don't worship it.

Nor do I worship nature, however, I do honor it.

Thank you for sharing your belief system, Mr Walker. :)

I appreciate the sincerity and intent of your comment, but in my case it really isnt a "belief system", other than in how i think through things. and understand things. I dont believe in god ,I know an entity i choose to call god.

I dont know if it is "GOD!!!" but to all intents and purposes, it has the powers of a god and acts like a god and interacts with me as other humans say god has interacted with them. So being a wise man and prudent, I call it god. That also makes it easier to talk with others about it, than naming it something completely different. Yes there are some unknowns attached to this entity, but after 40 years there are still many unknowns attached to my wife. I know god better than my wife in some ways because we share a consciousness, which i cannot do with my wife.

What i dont "get" is how unusual such a relationship appears to be or why that is so. I am a perfectly ordinary and normal human. God should be just as physically accessible to anyone, as to me.

Were you already conversing with your god during the time when you lost everything, Mr Walker?

Were you already conversing with your god during the time when you lost everything, Mr Walker?

I encountered the cosmic consciousness when i prepubescent. I cant remember exactly when the first encounter/ connection was, although i remember its quality.

Many decades later i read about it, from other people, and realised this was not unique to me but neither was it particulalrly common. I assumed as a young person that all humans had this connection and the abilities it gave. I quicklylearned that they did not. But i never thought of it as god. It was more of a chi or energy force which extended through me and through all things around me. God/the cosmic conscious was present in me all my life but i only gradually became aware of it and, more slowly, what it was.

For example i could "piggy back it" to OBE anywhere in the world or around the universe by the time i was a teenager. I could read minds at times find lost objects and once predicted almost a whole set of playing cards as a friend turned them over and looked at them without me being able ot see them.

But i was about 22 when firstgod manifested in physical form and from then I evolved my relationship with it. I hadnt realised until then that the cosmic consciusness also had the ability to manipulate energy and matter on our material level, basically at will (or via advanced technology.)

God saved me form a potential fatal heart atttack in 2004 when i was 52 and again 8 months later in jan 05 from a bushfire.

Those are two fiull stories in them selves.

Yes god was directly commuicating to me before those times. I knew and recognised his words of warnng and acted on them. He sat on my shoulder guiding me/directing me and keeping me calm and safe and sent a physical angel to offer words of support and to give me a bible which opened to the words "Do not fear. No harm shall come to you, for I am with you/watching over you ". That being disappeared/dematerialised from an isolated balcony 5 floors from the ground in the royal adelaide hospital. but the bible remained until it was burned with everything else we owned in the bushfire.

Edited by Mr Walker

I appreciate the sincerity and intent of your comment, but in my case it really isnt a "belief system", other than in how i think through things. and understand things. I dont believe in god ,I know an entity i choose to call god.

I dont know if it is "GOD!!!" but to all intents and purposes, it has the powers of a god and acts like a god and interacts with me as other humans say god has interacted with them. So being a wise man and prudent, I call it god. That also makes it easier to talk with others about it, than naming it something completely different. Yes there are some unknowns attached to this entity, but after 40 years there are still many unknowns attached to my wife. I know god better than my wife in some ways because we share a consciousness, which i cannot do with my wife.

What i dont "get" is how unusual such a relationship appears to be or why that is so. I am a perfectly ordinary and normal human. God should be just as physically accessible to anyone, as to me.

After some considerable thinking about this, I'm not sure it's God as most people know it. I like the cosmic consciousness thing better. I don't think I'll ever fully comprehend what ever "it" is, clearly it's too big and too vast and too complicated for my brain to fully understand. It's the Big Is, is how I think about it, something out there and in here, that permeates everything and makes everything run, maybe like a giganto intelligent power source. Who knows? Doesn't even have to be divine, really. What ever it is, I interact with it almost daily, how could I not since I'm a part of it?

Is my sense of the divine found in Nature?

Yes, that's one of the places that I find it. A few days ago I spent the day in Cathedral Grove, on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. If you don't find a place like that awe inspiring, you have no pulse!

After some considerable thinking about this, I'm not sure it's God as most people know it. I like the cosmic consciousness thing better. I don't think I'll ever fully comprehend what ever "it" is, clearly it's too big and too vast and too complicated for my brain to fully understand. It's the Big Is, is how I think about it, something out there and in here, that permeates everything and makes everything run, maybe like a giganto intelligent power source. Who knows? Doesn't even have to be divine, really. What ever it is, I interact with it almost daily, how could I not since I'm a part of it?

Yes i agree. I knew it first as the cosmic consciousness, and tend to label it god,first because it acts like humans think of god acting, second because it is a repsectful label for that entity, and third because few people have heard of, let alone understand the nature of, the cosmic consciousness.

Of course the problem with using the term god is that everone brings their own perceptions of how/what god is, with them.

It is nt hard to understand the part which exists within us, nor really the part we direclty link with. I have seen its physical network linking much of our galaxy and the universe although i dont know if it is an organic or material construct of the consciousness The first awareness of "oneness with the universe" is a bit overwhelming, but one can appreciate its functionality and usefulness.

Perhaps human minds are only marginally evolved enough yet to access it. As we evolve and understand more i think it will become almost common place to access the consciousness, for all sorts of reasons. For me, personally, it has been a vehicle for learning, but also for exploring and expanding my own knowledge and understanding. In other words, it is fun. Like finding a new planet and exploring/learning etc.

I really dont think, given our technological progress that it will be more than a couple of centuries before we can fully integrate with it , use it. and even copy elements of it. ourselves.

Yes god was directly commuicating to me before those times.

On the other hand, you didn't lose everything. You were insured... Why, however, did your god allow the fire to happen? What was its purpose?