Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rabbi to followers: Burn your iPhones

questionmark

Rabbi Chaim Kanievsky says it is forbidden to own smartphone, and those who already have one must burn theirs. Head of Vizhnitz Hasidic dynasty refers to device as 'spiritual Holocaust'

An influential ultra-Orthodox Israeli rabbi has ordered his followers to burn their iPhones, the latest attempt by the insular community to keep the outside world at bay.

The religious Yated Ne'eman newspaper published the ban on its front page this week, as mainstream Israeli newspapers were gushing about Apple Inc.'s eagerly anticipated new smartphone, the iPhone 5.

Read more

Well, ayatollahs of the world unite to keep people dumb and incommunicado!

But without an iPhone how does he expect people to entertain themselves, have friends, or have a relationship? What will they do with those free seconds they have every day? What will they do when they are driving? People need their iPhones for constant brain stimulation to prevent them from just falling over dead...

• Like 1

But without an iPhone how does he expect people to entertain themselves, have friends, or have a relationship? What will they do with those free seconds they have every day? What will they do when they are driving? People need their iPhones for constant brain stimulation to prevent them from just falling over dead...

That is not the point, Rabbi Kanievsky ignores that a phone comes with an off button. In fact, if you want your privacy all you have to do is switch your cellphone off, as I do every day at 19:00 -- unless I have emergency duty at the vet clinic.

The phone is not the problem. The user is.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

The phone is not the problem. The user is.

This is the point the Rabbi is missing...

Instead of banning iPhones they should promote it. because the new apple maps in iOS 6 ensures quick way to afterlife for every driver.

• Like 2

The phone isn't the problem its that umbilical cord that some people seem to have attached to it that needs done away with.

The phone isn't the problem its that umbilical cord that some people seem to have attached to it that needs done away with.

This exactly..

I don't own a smartphone because of the temptation.

I agree with the idea but not for the same reasons. I'd burn iPhones for other reasons.

• Like 2

I agree with the idea but not for the same reasons. I'd burn iPhones for other reasons.

Such terrible, terrible phones.

Instead of banning iPhones they should promote it. because the new apple maps in iOS 6 ensures quick way to afterlife for every driver.

Yeah, so does the ATT Nav on My droid GS3. Strangely enough, it was awesome on the Windows Phone 7 OS with my previous phone. All the crap on this android phone gives me anxiety or something. It's total overkill.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3