Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is 'Looper'-like Time Travel Possible?

Still Waters

Time travel is a staple of science fiction, with the latest rendition showing up in the film "Looper." And it turns out jumps through time are possible, according to the laws of physics, though traveling into the future looks to be much more feasible than traveling into the past.

"It's actually consistent with the laws of physics to change the rate at which clocks run," said Edward Farhi, director of the Center for Theoretical Physics at MIT. "There's no question that you can skip into the future."

However, Farhi told LiveScience, "most physicists think you can go forward, but coming back is much more problematic."

http://www.livescien...ble-looper.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shiloh17

• StarMountainKid

• Karlis

• Big Bad Voodoo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we're always travelling forward in time. In fact, by the time I've finished typing this post, I'd have already traveled a few seconds forward in time.

I don't know about the "possibilities" -- but as far as the film goes, some reviewers are giving this a "ten out of ten" rating. I think I just may go and pay to see it. :tu:

I thought we're always travelling forward in time. In fact, by the time I've finished typing this post, I'd have already traveled a few seconds forward in time

I wonder if we actually travel forward in time. The arrow of time points from the past to the future, but is time actually traveling from future to past? It seems to me the future is moving toward us.

Also, are we standing still time-wise and time is passing through us? Or, if we're moving with time, wouldn't time for us stand sill?

Just some thoughts and questions that run through my mind.

Trying to go back in time could create major headaches even if it were possible. You go back in time and accidently kill the current presidents great - great grandfather in some kind of accident, then what do you return to? Then when you return how do you go back and rectify the situation, if that is even possible..etc etc etc.. forward only.