Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can you live without Texting?

Ashotep

Could you survive without texting? Think families are becoming disconnected with each other or others on a personal level because of it?

I have never really caught onto texting to be honest. It seems to me that I have a phone that is sitting in my hand and able to be used from pretty much anywhere... why would I want to send a text to a person rather than just call them?

• Like 1

Yes, I could live without it. I send out probably less than 10 texts a month. My sister is deaf, though, so hypothetically, if texting was taken away, I'd have to email her instead.

• Like 1

The only person I text is my boyfriend, and that's because neither of us likes talking on the phone. It's mostly only when we have a question or something, so not much texting happens on my phone. I use it more for email and GPS than anything else, and I pretty much never pull it out at dinner because I find it rude.

We've considered that once we move and I (hopefully) get my business to the point where neither of us has to work outside jobs, we'll probably just get a land line and ditch the cell's.

• Like 1

I was dragged (kicking and screaming) into the XXI century two years ago by my work requirements ...I was travelling to do system installations and was the team lead so I needed to contact people on the team at all hours.. Other than that I have no desire to be tied to a communications anchor 24/7... I have sent perhaps 24 texts in two years and consider that excessive...

Of course I don't like phones in general... Growing up (I had 5 sisters) I never was able to use the one we had and so got very comfortable without.... If I need to talk to someone for more than a few moments, I would much rather visit them...

• Like 2

I text a few times a day but could absolutely live without it. I'm horrible at returning messages and am one of those people who will send a reply hours later because if I hear my phone go off while I'm busy or talking to someone, I *gasp* leave it where it is until I'm no longer in the middle of something. Problem with that is I usually forget I heard the notification in the first place.

I'm a techno dinosaur. All I have is a desktop computer and a landline phone. Oh, and a DVD player built into my TV because it came that way. I wouldn't know how to text or use a cell phone and just have no desire to learn.

Edited by moonshadow60
  • Like 2

Hell no. If I couldn't text, I'd probably die. HAHA I send 10,000+ texts a month. Now the majority of those are to my best friend. Texting is how we talk to each other. I live in Philadelphia and she lives in Los Angeles, so when we talk, it's via text. We can talk that way for hours, cause we're not tied to the phone and can respond to the text when you get the time.

• Like 1

First..I don't have a cell phone or any other device that does texting..I never even "texted" before so I can easily continue to do without it until the day I die.

Secondly I do not think we are becomming any more connected or disconnected; this seems to have become another term to scare the people into thinking, once more, that our society is going to crumble because of the devices we have.

Not any different that people in earlier times whining about how society was going to disappear because of the advent of movies and records.

• Like 1

I had survived many horrible years without it, I am sure I could manage without it once again.

• Like 1

I have noticed its younger adults that text a lot more then older ones, naturally because we know what land lines were . However, some adult text a lot just like some young adults might not , the ones that you see texting and walking into " fountains" or " off the rail track" well they are just ignorant and deserved to walk into something . It is common sense to watch where you are going , does not mean it is an epidemic , just that some people are to dumb to look while walking those are the few that really deserve to walk into " fountains " and off the rail. :)

• Like 1

Texting is made worse because of my current phone. It doesn't have a full keyboard. Each button might represent 3 letters. The software "guesses" what I'm trying to say but usually does a bad job of it, and I have to keep erasing what it adds.

• Like 1

who remembers the article where a woman fell off the cliff when she was texting? LOL! im that 10% of americans dat dont text cuz i use my comp.

never have texted, hopefully never will My cell is forbidden from sending and receiving texts, E-mails on the other hand are a whole different ball of wax altogether.

Isn't sending messages via private message,chat,etc technically texting? I mean if we really wanna get technical... commenting on this post alone is considered txting,so Ryn you're actually a wiz at texting and didn't even know it :) congrats mate, and cheers to a job well done~

This can be solved if family members text each other :whistle:

Families with a disconnect will always have that disconnect whether or not texting is present in their lives.. just as families that are connected will stay connected whether or not texting is present in their lives.

Indeed I can.

I do not use mobile phones, and have been called various, unkind things because of it.

Face to face conversation is where it's at. :tu:

Totally agree with this. I do have a cell phone however the most i use it for are to read ebooks and listen to pandora on my way home from work. I rarely use it make an actual call.

Families with a disconnect will always have that disconnect whether or not texting is present in their lives.. just as families that are connected will stay connected whether or not texting is present in their lives.

Our passion for texting and our other computer gadgets have left little time for families to spend time together.

Nvr txt'd. Cuz it destryz th inglish langwage.

i no wot u meen m8

• Like 1