Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

SeaWorld: Killer whale mysteriously injured

7 posts in this topic

A performing Killer Whale suffered a horrific injury which left its jawbone exposed at a SeaWorld theme park, prompting fury from animal rights groups.

Pictures showing Nakai, an 11-year-old whale who performs at the San Diego SeaWorld park, with a large gash to its chin were leaked online by a unnamed whistleblower.

In a statement, SeaWorld said Nakai's injury was caused when it 'came into contact with a portion of the pool environment'.

http://www.dailymail...hts-groups.html

That's got to be sore, poor thing.

They are far too big to be kept in captivity though.

I was expecting something relatively small, but I don't see how something that big (the injury) happened as a result of hitting the side of the pool.

It looks almost as if the whale had been attacked or it could have originally been a small wound that festered away due to gangerene perhaps.

Either way this does not look to be due to some "pool"accident. Poor thing. Hope he recoveres.

A performing Killer Whale suffered a horrific injury which left its jawbone exposed at a SeaWorld theme park, prompting fury from animal rights groups.

Pictures showing Nakai, an 11-year-old whale who performs at the San Diego SeaWorld park, with a large gash to its chin were leaked online by a unnamed whistleblower.

In a statement, SeaWorld said Nakai's injury was caused when it 'came into contact with a portion of the pool environment'.

http://www.dailymail...hts-groups.html

Seaworld is either getting worse in their care of these animals or wistleblowers are just bringing these things to light because something is always happening with their orcas. I do think killer whales are too large to keep in captivity.

Surely it needs stitching up, and quick? Treating it with antibiotics alone won't close the gash up. Yet more controversy from a tourist attraction I will never visit, out of principle.

1 person likes this

Who in their right mind thinks keeping whales as animals of amusement or even in tanks is a good idea? These are social animals that live in the bloody ocean for Jegus sake. Though I'm no fan of PETA, they make a good point about housing incompatible whales together. Whales are darn intelligent, it would be like kidnapping three guys and making them live together and perform tricks... I just almost described the Real World... except you're not paid and you live in an extremely tiny house.

1 person likes this