Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best Quotes

Halmista

HEy guys. I was wondering if you could give some input on what the best quote or ideas made in philosophy?

ME I specifically prefer the ideals of Lao Tzu and of Nietzsche......

Lao Tzu:"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"

"The softest thing in the world overcomes the hardest things"

" Knowing others is Wisdom, Knowing yourself is enlightenment"

my favorite......" Do your work and step back, the only way to serenity"

Nietzsche: "He who has a Why to live can bear almost any How"

" Which does not kill me can only make me stronger"

"The higher one flies the smaller he seems to be to others"

"They muddy the water to make it seem deep"

and my favorite.... " There are simply no facts only Interpretations"

• Like 2

Thanks for posting Halmista, the quotes are interesting but I don't necessarily think they ring true.

This one sounds familiar...

I hear this on the 911 forums all the time...

• Like 1

HEy guys. I was wondering if you could give some input on what the best quote or ideas made in philosophy?

ME I specifically prefer the ideals of Lao Tzu and of Nietzsche......

Lao Tzu:"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished"

"The softest thing in the world overcomes the hardest things"

" Knowing others is Wisdom, Knowing yourself is enlightenment"

my favorite......" Do your work and step back, the only way to serenity"

Nietzsche: "He who has a Why to live can bear almost any How"

" Which does not kill me can only make me stronger"

"The higher one flies the smaller he seems to be to others"

"They muddy the water to make it seem deep"

How about, "The world will always have people who have more than they'll ever need -- and people who need more than they'll ever have."

• Like 1

I recognized some of the quotes but some I have never heard of. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting Halmista, the quotes are interesting but I don't necessarily think they ring true.

This one sounds familiar...

I hear this on the 911 forums all the time...

Well everything is always subject to interpretation and even if it isn't true it's still fun to think of other possibilities other than the commonly accepted explanation :)

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

• Like 1

I'd trade all quotes from the "philosophers" that people study for some good ol' Satchel Paige or Yogi Berra quotes.

http://www.satchelpa...com/quote2.html

http://www.yogiberra.../yogi-isms.html

Could I do the same with Yogi Bear quotes?

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000688/quotes

• Like 1

I love Loa Tsu and my favourite quote would be difficult to pick there are so many good ones. Perhaps these two but there are so many beautiful ones we should just have the whole Tao te Ching.

Empty your mind of all thoughts. Let your heart be at peace.

Watch the turmoil of beings, but contemplate their return.

Each separate being in the universe returns to the common source.

Returning to the source is serenity.

If you don't realize the source, you stumble in confusion and sorrow.

When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant,

disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandmother, dignified as a king.

Immersed in the wonder of the Tao, you can deal with whatever life brings you,

and when death comes, you are ready.

The Master keeps her mind always at one with the Tao; that is what gives her, her radiance.

The Tao is ungraspable. How can her mind be at one with it? Because she doesn't cling to ideas.

The Tao is dark and unfathomable. How can it make her radiant? Because she lets it.

Since before time and space were, the Tao is. It is beyond is and is not.

How do I know this is true? I look inside myself and see.

Have you read any Chuang Tsu? Supposed to be his student but unproven he has a different style using stories more than short sayings. One of my favourites from his ” Inner Chapters” is this-

“How can I tell if the love of life is not a delusion? How can I tell whether a man who fears death is not like a man who has left home and dreads returning? Lady Li was the daughter of a border guard of Ai, when the Duke of Chin first took her, she wept until her dress was soaked with tears but once she was living in the Dukes palace, sharing his bed and eating delicious food she wondered why she had ever cried. How can I tell if the dead are not amazed they ever clung to life?

Those who dream of a great feast may weep the next morning. Those who dream of weeping may enjoy the hunt the next day. While they dream they do not know they are dreaming, they may even interpret their dreams while they are dreaming. Only after they awake do they know it was a dream. By and by there will be a great awakening, and then we will know that this is all a great dream. All the while the fools think they are awake, appearing to understand things calling this man ruler and this man herdsman! How stupid! You and Confucius are both dreaming and when I say you are dreaming I am dreaming too.

These words may sound like double talk, yet after 10,000 generations, we will meet a Great Sage who can explain all of this, or it may happen anytime now!”

I would like to put some Rumi and Kabir quotes as well there were so many great teachers.

Edited by sutemi
  • Like 1

'I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.'

'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.'

'Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.'

All by Groucho Marx

• Like 1

I'd trade all quotes from the "philosophers" that people study for some good ol' Satchel Paige or Yogi Berra quotes.

http://www.satchelpa...com/quote2.html

http://www.yogiberra.../yogi-isms.html

"Philosophers" is basically just a title for people that greatly inlfluenced

'I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.'

'Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.'

'Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.'

All by Groucho Marx

HAHa it just goes to show how wise and smart Comedians are

"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!!" -Paul Valery.

"If the only prayer you ever said in your life was 'thank you', that would suffice." -Meister Eckhart

"If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself." -Native American Proverb

There are countless, priceless quotes to me.

SINcerely,

:devil:

• Like 1

Insanity is the only sane reaction to an insane society

-Thomas Szasz

I am aware, that the mere proposition to examine, whether a religion is necessary or not, will revolt many minds, and that religions have struck too extended and too profound roots all over the Earth, that it would be a kind of folly, to pretend today, to uproot the ancient tree of superstition, under the shade of which almost all men believed it to be necessary to repose.

Therefore it is not at all my intention to attempt it; because it is the same with religion as with those diseases, of which the germ is transmitted by the fathers to their progeny for a series of ages, and against which art has no remedy to offer.

It is an evil the more incurable, as it makes us even fear the remedies, which might cure it. He, who should deliver humanity forever from the scourge of the small-pox, would be entitled to the thanks of mankind: but the man would never be forgiven, who should attempt to free it from that of religions, which have caused infinitely more injury to humanity, forming as they do, a shameful leprosy, infecting reason and causing it to wither.

Although there is very little hope of curing our species of this general delirium, the philosopher may nevertheless be permitted, to examine the nature and character of this epidemic, and if he has no flattering prospects before him, to preserve the great mass of men from its influence, he shall at least feel but too happy, if he succeeds to subtract from it a small number of wise men. ~ Charles Francois Dupuis (1742-1809)

• Like 1

The good things in life are give; But the best things in life, must be taken

Make your strengths so big that your weaknesses disappear

• Like 1

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."-Anne Frank.

"In spite of everything, I still believe people are good at heart."-Anne Frank (1929-1945)

Every time I quote something from her I get emotional. That through so much turnoil, so much evil, she found hope and saw the best in life, in humanity.

SINcerely,

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."-Anne Frank.

"In spite of everything, I still believe people are good at heart."-Anne Frank (1929-1945)

Every time I quote something from her I get emotional. That through so much turnoil, so much evil, she found hope and saw the best in life, in humanity.

SINcerely,

I like her words, well she was always frank... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." -First and last line of the Dark Tower series

• Like 1

Since pure awareness of nowness is the real buddha,

In openness and contentment I found the Lama in my heart.

When we realize this unending natural mind is the very nature of the Lama,

Then there is no need for attached, grasping, or weeping prayers or artificial complaints,

By simply relaxing in this uncontrived, open, and natural state,

We obtain the blessing of aimless self-liberation of whatever arises.

DUDJOM RINPOCHE

Probably one of the only insightful things he's said.

"Training gives us an outlet for suppresed energies created by stress and thus tones the spirit just as exercise conditions the body." -Arnold Schwarzenegger

SINcerely,