Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The obese only become fatter

Render

ScienceDaily (Oct. 1, 2012) — New research has found that a type of anti-tumour immune cell protects against obesity and the metabolic syndrome that leads to diabetes. Results showing that immune cells known to be protective against malignancy called invariant natural killer T-cells (iNKT), that are lost when humans become obese, but can be restored through weight loss, have been published online this week in the journal Immunity.

Marie Curie Fellow, Lydia Lynch at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland made the discovery and as first author in collaboration with colleagues at Harvard-affiliated Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre, and St Vincent's University Hospital have shown that therapies that activate iNKT cells could help manage obesity, diabetes, and metabolic disease.

iNKT cells had been thought to be rare in humans until work by Dr Lydia Lynch at Trinity College Dublin, Consultant Endocrinologist at St Vincent's University Hospital Professor Donal O'Shea, and Trinity's Professor of Comparative Immunology, Cliona O'Farrelly, found they were plentiful in human omental fat.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121001095522.htm

So it's kinda a snowball effect. Once you let it get to a certain level it's harder to go back.

• Like 1

Blooming hell Render!

More bad news for fat people!

I mean, haven't they got enough on their plate already?

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 3

I'm keeping fit.

I cut down on carbs and portion size and stopped some of the grazing inbetween meals and I've lost about 15lb in around 5 months.

Gonna lose a bit more then start on some keep fit myself :)

• Like 1

It's fairly easy to stay slim when one is young. The challenge comes when one gets over age 45 to 50. Personally, I think there's more to 'fat' than meets the eye so to speak. I highly suspect that genetics and hormones play a far greater role then we currently understand.

• Like 1

It's fairly easy to stay slim when one is young. The challenge comes when one gets over age 45 to 50. Personally, I think there's more to 'fat' than meets the eye so to speak. I highly suspect that genetics and hormones play a far greater role then we currently understand.

Oh yeah for sure, When I was in my 20s I could eat junk food all day and still stay slim.

But there are limits, even in middle age. My mother always says that you just didn't see really fat people during the war.

We all get a bit of a spread when we hit our 40s but some people end up wearing a moo-moo, driving a mobility scooter and calling it a disability.

High fiber, low carb, watch calories. Stay away from white flour, sugar, potatoes. I think all the convenience food we eat is what is getting us. Stay away from the middle of the grocery store. They didn't have that stuff until the 50's. Wonderbread and hamburger helper are poison. So many young people don't know how to cook anymore, so they eat a lot of crap and they pay for it later.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

High fiber, low carb, watch calories. Stay away from white flour, sugar, potatoes. I think all the convenience food we eat is what is getting us. Stay away from the middle of the grocery store. They didn't have that stuff until the 50's. Wonderbread and hamburger helper are poison. So many young people don't know how to cook anymore, so they eat a lot of crap and they pay for it later.

God I love Carbs and Potatoes! :(

God I love Carbs and Potatoes! :(

Me too, but at '50 something' I really have to limit the carbs. Even with exercise I find that I simply can't handle carbs the way I used to in my 20s and 30s. It sucks.

Potatoes are ok in moderation. But don't fry them. Have you tried the purple ones. I love em. Instead of pasta I like to use Spaghetti squash. All my Friends love my spaghetti casserole. I am growing a bunch in my garden.

I mean, haven't they got enough on their plate already?

I see what you did there. ;)

Cut in half a squash, scoop out the seeds, (seeds can be baked and eaten. yum) Nuke or bake until tender. scoop out flesh into strings in an oiled casserole. salt to taste, pour in chopped canned tomatoes, chopped basil, oregano, garlic, onions. Add some Parmesan cheese and stir until mixed. I like to put some Munster cheese on top. bake at 350 until bubbly and cheese is browned.

The hormone is insulin and it tells the body how much fat to store.

Some foods are dreadul for raising insulin levels - Bread, breakfast cereals, pasta, rice and anything else with complex carbohydrates in them. Artifical sweetners also raise insulin levels.