Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Team to drill down to the Earth's mantle

Saru

A $1 billion mission to retrieve the first ever fresh samples of our planet's mantle has been proposed.

A team of international researchers want to drill deeper into the Earth than ever before to answer mysteries about our planet.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Doctor Who did this in the 70s, basically they diacovered an ooze that turned people into monsters an then blew up the planet (albeit in a parallel universe)

• Like 2

I hope we fine hell...

If they miscalculate, drill to far, puncture the outer core sending tons of molten liquid gushing to the surface like a massive magma oil gusher it could destroy the magnetic field, we will lose our atmosphere and the polar axis would be constantly shifting causing massive earthquakes all over the globe possibly even moving entire continents not that anyone would be still be alive to witness it. Just saying.

Edited by Socio
  • Like 2

If they miscalculate, drill to far, puncture the outer core sending tons of molten liquid gushing to the surface like a massive magma oil gusher it could destroy the magnetic field, we will lose our atmosphere and the polar axis would be constantly shifting causing massive earthquakes all over the globe possibly even moving entire continents not that anyone would be still be alive to witness it. Just saying.

Ya....no...

Sounds like a great idea! What could possible go wrong except for a man made volcanic eruption!

Edited by MadMike740
  • Like 1

Doctor Who did this in the 70s, basically they diacovered an ooze that turned people into monsters an then blew up the planet (albeit in a parallel universe)

Yes that was the Jon Pertwee era story "Inferno". The writer of that story, Don Houghton based the drilling on the real as then Project Mohole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Mohole

Wow so use that 1 billion to help the earth not look at soil and rock what they expect to find hell or something seem like a waste of money

Glad that Hawklord mentioned the Mohole project. This began in 1961 to do exactly the same thing, so this is not a new idea.

Obtaining pristine samples of Magma would be interesting, but the article does not expand sufficiently on the potential advances in our understanding of Earth dynamics from such samples.

@ "Socio" not entirely sure what you are grounding your comments on.... Volcanoes vent magma to the surface every day with none of the Doom laden prophecies that you attribute to the process.

• Like 1

If y'all find hell, please make the entrance open to the public.

I'd like to jump down their.

• Like 1

really? really?

Nah theres nazis at the centre of the world

Didnt you know its hollow?

Is this a good idea?

Is this a good idea?

What Socio said? No it isn't.

What the scientists are doing? Yes it is.

(I think it is worth the price tag, but that is because (a) I am a scientist, and (B) I like seeing governments spend 9-figure sums on something unrelated to making weapons, although I am willing to concede that antipoverty and antihunger initiatives may be more worthwhile.)

• Like 1

If they miscalculate, drill to far, puncture the outer core

That would have to be the mother of all miscalculations - to the tune of a couple of thousand miles.

• Like 2

What Socio said? No it isn't.

What the scientists are doing? Yes it is.

(I think it is worth the price tag, but that is because (a) I am a scientist, and ( B) I like seeing governments spend 9-figure sums on something unrelated to making weapons, although I am willing to concede that antipoverty and antihunger initiatives may be more worthwhile.)

Oh don't worry, the gov will find a way to weaponize what ever they find :)

What if the earth houses an entire race of some species that don't need this world-destructing nature of man? Just what if?

The Core has been one of my most favorite movies of all times, not because of the acting or directing, but because the entire idea of it is intriguing to me. And I would LOVE to live in a cave of amethyst. I would be in heaven living in a cave like that.

I think they are biting off far more than they should, and that they should back off from this.

Edited by regeneratia

What if the earth houses an entire race of some species that don't need this world-destructing nature of man? Just what if?

The Core has been one of my most favorite movies of all times, not because of the acting or directing, but because the entire idea of it is intriguing to me. And I would LOVE to live in a cave of amethyst. I would be in heaven living in a cave like that.

I think they are biting off far more than they should, and that they should back off from this.

No.. you are just joking aren't you?? Seriously? You do know the pressures and temperatures down there...

Volcanoes have been doing this for eras, bringing magma to the surface, and you wont find amethyst down there either

Did they say anything about sending a mic down there to see if they hear anything? Maybe whatever is making the Bloop sound is there too...

So you don't do "what ifs..."? OK, I get it. There is no dreaming of possiblities with you, right? Oh well, maybe on some parallel universe, huh?

"For the earth is hollow and I have touched the sky." Star Trek episode For the earth is hollow

No.. you are just joking aren't you?? Seriously? You do know the pressures and temperatures down there...

Volcanoes have been doing this for eras, bringing magma to the surface, and you wont find amethyst down there either

Wow, this seem so, useless. Whats the point? Is it gunna cure cancer? I fail to see what this is gunna benefit ,,,,,