Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

David Attenborough's "burn in hell" hate mail

Bling

Sir David Attenborough: 'I get hate mail telling me to burn in hell for not crediting God'

Sir David Attenborough receives hate mail from viewers for not crediting God in his nature programmes.

"They tell me to burn in hell and good riddance," Sir David said during an interview with the Radio Times about his latest documentary on Charles Darwin and natural selection.

This year marks two centuries since Darwin's birth and 150 years since the groundbreaking On the Origin of Species was published.

Telling the magazine that he was also asked why he did not give "credit" to the Lord, Sir David continued: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds.

"I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in East Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball.

"The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs.

Read more here: http://www.telegraph...diting-God.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osw3a-PYAAc

Edited by Bling
  • Like 1

I personally don't believe in evolution but I don't think anyone should be sending him hate mail like this, either...it's shameful.

• Like 8

You should see the stuff people write to Ricky Gervaise on twitter. He slams religion quite regularly there.

• Like 4

You should see the stuff people write to Ricky Gervaise on twitter. He slams religion quite regularly there.

Yeah Ricky is an atheist and not scared to talk about it....I'm sure he'll burn in hell too :rolleyes:

• Like 2

i'm surprised he's surprised he gets hate mail.

not that he's doing anything to be hated for, just that there is always going to be someone who has to hate for whatever reason. he happens to be the reason of the moment i guess

roll with it baby.

• Like 1

They shouldn't be sending him hate mail. Just don't listen to him if you don't like what he has to say. At least no one has put a hit out on him or tried to burn his house down like some religious people do.

• Like 2

I personally don't believe in evolution but I don't think anyone should be sending him hate mail like this, either...it's shameful.

Pardon my French, but how the **** can you deny evolution? It is just as observable as gravity.

• Like 8

I think people just abuse Rick Gervais for being Ricky Gervais.

• Like 1

Absolute shame on these hate mail writers. What does god have to do with natural elements of the earth? Yea, people should credit god for the periodic table as well, lol

I'm afraid this is exactly 'what' God actually is . . . the personification of the objective universe, everything that is under the Laws of Physics. This God is most certainly the Natural Elements found on earth.

Pardon my French, but how the **** can you deny evolution? It is just as observable as gravity.

Funny you should ask:

• Like 1

And then there is also this:

• Like 1

I think there are some people who can't handle doubt, so they get angry and lash out. I also believe that they are the minority, just more interesting than those who don't. Doubt is an important part of life, faith and also for science.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail on the head there Mark. People have what I call an emotional investment (other people would call it a psychological dependence or even addiction) to their worldview, and anything that challenges that or stirs up their insecurities will likely make them lose their temper and lash out. I know because I used to be one of those people...

• Like 2

Funny you should ask:

[media=]

[/media]

First of all, that video does not answer anything at all. It is a random individual spouting what one doctor has to say about evolution. Evolution can be tested, observed, and reproduced. Have you ever heard of the evolution of a virus? Mutations occur within its genes, and are passed on to the next "generation" of viruses, hence why it builds immunity to drugs, and new vaccines need to be created in order to innoculate the general public against the viruses.

Secondly, go into the museum of natural history, and you will see how we evolved through varying species over time.

• Like 3

Personally, I think there is room for God and evolution.

• Like 3

They shouldn't be sending him hate mail. Just don't listen to him if you don't like what he has to say. At least no one has put a hit out on him or tried to burn his house down like some religious people do.

Yet...

Edited by HavocWing
  • Like 1

Love both his voice and this commentary.

• Like 2

Personally, I think there is room for God and evolution.

Not the Biblical God, unless you're willing to admit he (or his authors) fibbed a bit in genesis.
  • Like 3

I regularly receive hate mail telling me 'I'll burn in hell'...must cost the wife a fortune in stamps... :unsure:

Edited by ThePhantomFlanFlinger
  • Like 4

I'm not sure why Attenborough would dignify such ignorance by mentioning it. Imagine what Dawkin's hate mail would be like !

And then there is also this:

[media=]

[/media]

Or this:

Creationistfamilyguy-1.jpg

• Like 2

Seriously everybody who is famous should make a website just dedicated to their hate mail and post it because that stuff is usually hilarious, especially when its directed towards you.

Not the Biblical God, unless you're willing to admit he (or his authors) fibbed a bit in genesis.

Actually with the Bible as it is in context you can swing it. You view the story of genesis as symbolic instead of literal and it fits quite well. Adam and Eve being a story about man gaining self-awareness separating us from our ancestors.

Actually with the Bible as it is in context you can swing it. You view the story of genesis as symbolic instead of literal and it fits quite well. Adam and Eve being a story about man gaining self-awareness separating us from our ancestors.

How does the mythical flood fit in?