Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

David Attenborough's "burn in hell" hate mail

Bling

Watch Penn and Teller BS for that one. There was a great flood in the area before it was written. Stories of great floods and embellishing the truth in stories been around forever. Literally wasn't a great flood that covered the whole world but a flood that covered "their world" at the time. Look at it like the interpretation from Evan Almighty setting the ark as a random act of kindness and the story makes a little more sense. Another symbolic story.

Pardon my French, but how the **** can you deny evolution? It is just as observable as gravity.

No its not. It requires considerable education and a knowledge of science to understand evolution and its place /role, Most modern western people believe in evolution because it is the cultural norm. But the belief is the same form as some people believe in creation.

Once upon a time, a belief in creation was the cutural norm. If evoution was at all observable in a normal person's life and lifespan, why wasn't it described and understood until the 1800s and why did it take charles darwin to codify it. Oh sur e NOW it seems quite obvious but it never was and it stil wouldn't be to an ordinary person, without the gradual scientificc understanding of its nature and process. Its like bacteria Everyone "knows" they exist now, but how? How many of us have actually seen one?

My wife only did a few years of high school back in the 1940s and no sceince subjects as such because women didnt do science then. She sees god in every part of the natural world, is a creationist and cant understand how others cant see this also. I am an evolutioist. She loves david attenborough programmes, and him as a person /presenter, but she feels sorry for him because in her own world view, he doesnt know the truth about god and god's creation. She just watches the beauty and listens to him about species behaviour habitat etc but doesnt believe a word he says about evolution.

• Like 1

I regularly receive hate mail telling me 'I'll burn in hell'...must cost the wife a fortune in stamps... :unsure:

Shes not into emails yet?
  • Like 1

I didn't see the interview ,I wonder if he said it bothered him being told that he would burn in hell.

It wouldn't bother me at all ,as there is no hell and Pope John Paul confirmed this

fullywired

• Like 2

Not the Biblical God, unless you're willing to admit he (or his authors) fibbed a bit in genesis.

I didn't say the Biblical God. Which Bible translation are you talking about? I'm not here to argue, I just stated my opinion.

I'm not sure why Attenborough would dignify such ignorance by mentioning it. Imagine what Dawkin's hate mail would be like !

Language warning:

• Like 1

You should see the stuff people write to Ricky Gervaise on twitter. He slams religion quite regularly there.

304386_489328997744750_1390430416_n.jpg

There's some great stuff here: https://twitter.com/rickygervais

I personally don't believe in evolution but I don't think anyone should be sending him hate mail like this, either...it's shameful.

I personally don't believe in the number 4.

• Like 2

I have to say I liked his retort about why would God create some sort of horrific parasitic worm that infect the eyes of African children or something? To create something like that would surely give evidence of some perverted sense of humour OR a sense of vitriol. Evolution would explain that this is simply a nematode worm that has developed a dependence on a host organism.

• Like 2

From the OP article...

Speaking about views 2,000 years ago, he said: "The idea that the Lord had given us a present, that the world is a gift from God... well, the amount of stuff, back then, that the Lord was giving away was limited. We do not have dominion."

And he is 100% correct.. indeed we do not have dominion.... Anyone who slams someone of this man's calibre, clearly cannot and will never see how foolish they really look !..I feel sorry for people who do this

• Like 2

Actually i think one of the biggest probems with the natural world today is that mankind has established dominion over via our "intelligence'' and technology, but is using that dominion very unwisely.

• Like 1

Funny you should ask:

But there is observable evidence of micro evolution. Of course we can't apply the observation of macroevolution because we haven't even considered the aspect of evolution as widely for long at all! Regardless, from bones and skeletons found, it suggests that over time, skulls and bones did in fact change shape and size.

Is this not a clear indication of humanoid evolution at the very least? Why could it not have started even so with God creating microbes which then went on to become humans? Just because it does not conform to some book you dont even know who authored doesn't mean it couldn't have been a probable scenario.

The man in this video is avoiding a lot. He is subtlety trying to bring the audience over with mentions of intelligent people who are religious or who have "turned" to religion. No matter how intelligent you are, it does not dictate how susceptible you are to belief. Belief is possibly controlled by a part of the brain. So intelligence is in that case is not a factor.

Regardless how your brain is made up, you should try to consider all aspects and keep an open mind as nothing is definite. Which is why I like evolution, it is a theory, therefore it can be disputed and changed whereas what is in the bible, is in the bible.

• Like 2

Well, if he does burn in hell I certainly hope he narrates it.

• Like 1

Well, if he does burn in hell I certainly hope he narrates it.

I just pictured that, and can almost hear his voice saying.. "And now...I can feel a burning sensation right under...my feet.. The sensation .......is...awe inspiring !! " <-- my feeble Attenborough impression !

• Like 2

The other thing. I thought Christians were meant to be above hate? Hoping someone will burn in Hell? Not very Christian is it. Just goes to show the two-faced nature of a lot of them are. They can be vindictive and vitriolic when it suits them.

Edited by Urisk
  • Like 3

The other thing. I thought Christians were meant to be above hate? Hoping someone will burn in Hell? Not very Christian is it. Just goes to show the two-faced nature of a lot of them are. They can be vindictive and vitriolic when it suits them.

It also might suggest their "belief" out of fear. In that sense they wouldn't be true believers and will join those they condemn to hell in hell (given it even exists).

• Like 1

No its not. It requires considerable education and a knowledge of science to understand evolution and its place /role, Most modern western people believe in evolution because it is the cultural norm. But the belief is the same form as some people believe in creation.

While a certain form of education and knowledge may be required, that does not mean that it is not as observable as gravity - even if it is viewed through a different "lens" (that lens being through the eyes of a biologist/virologist). It is just as observable, however... perhaps not to the common population.

Once upon a time, a belief in creation was the cutural norm.

But that does not make it true. Belief in the heliocentric model/geocentric model was also a "cultural" norm, as well... however, we know both to be quite untrue.

If evoution was at all observable in a normal person's life and lifespan, why wasn't it described and understood until the 1800s and why did it take charles darwin to codify it.

Perhaps not in a "normal" person's life, however... it is most certainly as observable as gravity through the eyes of a virologist.

Also, I suppose the same could be asked with regards to Sir Isaac Newton. If gravity is so easily observed, why did it take such a long period of time for an individual to codify it, and explain why it occurs?

Oh sur e NOW it seems quite obvious but it never was and it stil wouldn't be to an ordinary person, without the gradual scientificc understanding of its nature and process. Its like bacteria Everyone "knows" they exist now, but how? How many of us have actually seen one?

If you ask an individual who has no idea as to what gravity is, would they be able to tell you what it is? They can see what happens as a result, but they do not instinctively know, "Oh, that's gravity". In order to understand gravity, we have to understand its principles, and how it works.

My wife only did a few years of high school back in the 1940s and no sceince subjects as such because women didnt do science then. She sees god in every part of the natural world, is a creationist and cant understand how others cant see this also. I am an evolutioist. She loves david attenborough programmes, and him as a person /presenter, but she feels sorry for him because in her own world view, he doesnt know the truth about god and god's creation. She just watches the beauty and listens to him about species behaviour habitat etc but doesnt believe a word he says about evolution.

And the Greeks saw Zeus in thunder and lighting, the Egyptians saw Ra in the sun... What's your point?

• Like 1

First of all, that video does not answer anything at all. It is a random individual spouting what one doctor has to say about evolution. Evolution can be tested, observed, and reproduced. Have you ever heard of the evolution of a virus? Mutations occur within its genes, and are passed on to the next "generation" of viruses, hence why it builds immunity to drugs, and new vaccines need to be created in order to innoculate the general public against the viruses.

Secondly, go into the museum of natural history, and you will see how we evolved through varying species over time.

I never doubted that viruses and bacteria can mutate, I'm satisfied that's scientific fact. I also believe in "microevolution", as some call it, which is actually imo variation within a species (all the different kind of dogs would be a good example, but they're all still dogs). To my knowledge, however, no species has ever "evolved" into another species.

I regularly receive hate mail telling me 'I'll burn in hell'...must cost the wife a fortune in stamps... :unsure:

:D That's too funny! 'Cept I guess it's not funny for you... :unsure2: sorry

Or this:

Creationistfamilyguy-1.jpg

What an intelligent rebuttal...anything you disagree with, just call it stupid...works for most children, so I guess it should work for you too...

I never doubted that viruses and bacteria can mutate, I'm satisfied that's scientific fact. I also believe in "microevolution", as some call it, which is actually imo variation within a species (all the different kind of dogs would be a good example, but they're all still dogs). To my knowledge, however, no species has ever "evolved" into another species.

There's your problem. You're not a trained biologist.

What an intelligent rebuttal...anything you disagree with, just call it stupid...works for most children, so I guess it should work for you too...

Creationism is stupid. It's akin to saying a giant gorilla vomited up the universe.

304386_489328997744750_1390430416_n.jpg

There's some great stuff here: https://twitter.com/rickygervais

I personally don't believe in the number 4.

Anyone can believe anything he or she wants, more power to you, just everyone faces consequences ultimately for what they believe...or don't, I believe.

Anyone can believe anything he or she wants, more power to you, just everyone faces consequences ultimately for what they believe...or don't, I believe.

The distinction is that some things are factual. One's belief has nothing to do with them. If you want to ignore almost 200 years of biological sciences, go right ahead, but don't get upset when somebody calls you an idiot for doing so.

There's your problem. You're not a trained biologist.

That's true, but can you show me even one intermediary species? I mean, one species evolving into another?

Creationism is stupid. It's akin to saying a giant gorilla vomited up the universe.

But it's intelligent to believe cells and proteins could assemble themselves into ever more complex organisms? Through random radiation driven mutations? OK... :whistle:

The distinction is that some things are factual. One's belief has nothing to do with them. If you want to ignore almost 200 years of biological sciences, go right ahead, but don't get upset when somebody calls you an idiot for doing so.

Well, if I'm an idiot I'm in pretty good company, including Isaac Newton and George Washington, among others, who believed the Bible.

Regardless of all our opinions, which I have enjoyed reading so thanks for joining in.......it's hate mail sent to an elderly man with a wealth of experience. And it's wrong wrong wrong.

• Like 2